1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV PLASMA Pixels etc..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by thedude, Apr 22, 2005.

1. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,616
    Ok i thought i knew more than my fair share about TVs and everthing related but ive been doing ym research into the whole HDTV saga etc.. and im more confused than when i started.i was initially loking for a tv with 1024*1024 so the hitachi's looked the best as they seem to be able to do that. SInce then ive read that they only do 525p for HDTV they dont to 720P or 1080i which to me seems a waist of pixels.
    Ive also been looking at the PANASONIC PW7 and the res is only 852 x480 but they claim it can do 1080i.
    How is this possible?
    and leading edge conecepts seem to think they can get the HDMI board for the PW7 too. IS this the case and would it work fine, im very interested if so.
    Please give me your views.
    My alternative option and which to me looks like the best could be going for a REAR PROJECTION DLP by sagem the new 44 looks good. and thats true hi def i think.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    WHOA search for EICTA and HD ready..... PW7 is not "HD ready" Pio 435FDE/XDE is as are PAnny veira PV500 (500 only no 20/30/50) must have 720+ vertical res and accept 720p abd 1080i at 50 & 60Hz with HDCP (HDMI or DVi+ HDCP) must also met some other specs (panny HDMI board doesnt) PHD7 screns does, and just cause a signal is 1080i doesnt mean you need 1080 vertical res to see a picture, Accepted res and native res are different

3. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thedude,

The Panasonic PW7 can "do 1080i" as you put it. What it does is scales that to fit the 852x480 resolution. Again it accepts 720p in the same manner. Think of it like when you attatch a pc to it, at say 1024x768, again the plasma just resizes (scales) this to fit the 852x480.

I am talking in this case about the component and/or vga connections for this unit.

Many are worried about when Sky's High Def service comes out that the HDMI connection will not work with these panals. Mainly due to the HDMI board for the Panny not being able to accept a 50hz signal.

Please don't let this put you off buying one. Some people in the industry I have spoken to say that the first number of Sky Hi Def boxes will have component outputs on them, and even if they dont, there will most likely be some sort of convertor unit available in the future...

I have seen a High Def image on a PW6, and it looked stunning! I cant wait for Sky's HD service :smashin:

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Sky HD boxes will very probably have component outputs, but how much HD programming will be output over component at HD resolution (rather than downscaled to SD) is a whole other question.

A device that converts HDCP-encrypted high-def HDMI output to component would be illegal (but, quite possibly, available anyway).

5. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,616
    ok so the short and the longs on it are wait basically. I quite like the HItachi PD5300 looks good http://www.leconcepts.com/plasma/Hitachi/hiplasma.htm
    thats all HD ready.

So am i understanding that some TVS that arent quite up to spec will still show HDTV? but jst resized sampled differently?
    Surely if you have seen the Panasonic like that the picture was amazing?
    I hooked up an LG at work with some HD and it resized it and it still looked amazing.

Someone give me some advice on actually what to go for and some links.

ive actually got a Panny PW5 and i am wondering if my TV would cope and jst resize the image to make it work! only with component of course. YOur views?

6. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have a Panny 5 and are considering a Hitachi PD5300?!?!?!?

Have you been on the pop? :)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    IIRC "thedude" you have a TH-37PW5 with media box.....SCRAP MEDIA BOX a scaler likethe iscan HD+ or lumagen DVi with an HDCP stripper (not sure on 5 series DVi specs) will be fantastic....... or just scrap media box and it properly.......

8. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,616
    so just get a scaler and all will be ok? Get Rid of the media box? ok thats good for when HD comes out but i use for my sky at the moment. IF i get the component board will i be able to use VGA then?

And whats wrong with the Hitachi's dude they been making good plasmas for a long time.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    use a JS RGB>VGA for sky and component for DVD/Xbox etc, while a scaler cant increase the pixel count of the screen but it can improve PQ and potentially make the screen HD compatible. Hitachi arent bad but ALIS is showing its age, unless it gets lots cheaper the 1024x768 progressive panels from panny are getting to Alis prices.... PV500 etc i think ALis has had its day...

10. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,616
    ok so horny, the question is when HD comes out will i be able to connect the Bozx to my existing plasma and get a worthwhile picture or will i need to get a new plasma?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You will 'very likely' be able to connect with an already available 'illegal device'. A scaler will do wonders for all your current sources, believe Horny's hype as well as your own! The media box is the kiss of death for Panasonic plasmas, well nearly! Exadgeration for effect, you can do way better without it basically. You would of course achieve better results with a higher def panel, but if you need to connect a scaler to your choice of panel to make it work with hi def, the Hitachi is not the one, there are some big issues to cope with there. You'd be better with the HD panasonic 42", or as you have a plasma already, if ypou are contemplating a change, hold your horses till october, get a new 8 series panny. It will be HD compliant.