1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV on Philips 9986?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Jepsen, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Jepsen

Jepsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen the philips with an HDTV signal playing?

I am from Denmark and over here it is always the Pioneer plasma tv

that has the HDTV signal playing and not the philips.

2. Jepsen

Jepsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have another question:

The DVI does not support sound how do I then get the sound on the TV?

3. Hjort

Hjort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9986 doenst support HDTV as far as i know. Im getting it anyway because of the picture quality.

Im getting min 37PF9986 next monday (Im buying it in Germany since the prices in Denmark are too high)

4. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the philips (42" I think) showing an HDTV picture in Harrods. Certainly persuaded me to buy the 37. Couldn't quite justify the 42!

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The 9986 will do HDTV. The DVI-I socket is used for DVI-D/HDCP, component and VGA. It supports 720p with borders and 1080i scaled down to fit the whole screen. Im sure someone will update you on the other supported formats too.

Sound when using the DVI-I connector is via a seperate connection.

-Ian

6. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have HDTV working on a 32pf9986 (playing clips and downloaded movies from PC).
    Please note that the only format it can play full-screen is 1080i, and that will be scaled down (to the display resolution of 1366x768).
    When you play 720p there is a small black border all around as it does not scale it.
    The PC XVGA display is also not fullscreen (15:9 with black bars on the side).

7. Hjort

Hjort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. Thx for the information, that makes the buy even better! :)

8. beany

beany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I also played HD clips on my 32PF9986 from a PC, in 720p the borders are quite annoying but no that big, and at 1080i there seems to be a little flickering, if i set it at a HD resolution of 1920x1080 pixels at 60hz in windows desktop it flickers alot. Do you get that Rob1698?

Also if anyones interested, playing games on the PC with this TV is very good, because of the higher resolution this TV supports you can set PC games resolutions higher, so they look sharper and all that, visually a lot better looking than a consoles graphics (atleast if your computer is high speced enough to handle it).

9. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried 1080i at both 50 and 60 Hz but I have set it to 50 because at 60 Hz the overscan seems to be more. (i.e. it cuts off more at the edges of the picture)

When displaying static content like a desktop, line flicker is visible. Apparently the picture is not de-interlaced.