HDTV on LCD TV without Component input

D

dancin

Well, took the plunge and got a Mitsubishi MD30LCD (30 inch 1280*768). Wife delighted - Looks nice on the wall. Excellent image from Sky (via Scart). PC over VGA is very nice. All round happy campers.

Box has 2 RGB Scart, VGA, DVI but no Component inputs.

Salesman in shop (local electronics shack, usually v-knowledgable) told me the Screen could take a 720p HDTV signal through the SCART connections. Sounded a bit flakey (doesn't he mean DVI said I to myself), but to be honest we're not really bothered with HDTV for a while. And by the time it becomes widespread we'll probably have gotten a new screen :)

There are a few things about it that perhaps y'all can help me with.

The manual is not very good. Covers the basics of operation (tuning channels, setting colour brightness etc...). But very little technical stuff. Doesn't even cover the differences between DVI and VGA connections for the PC.
They are definitely aiming the manual at the non technical person (me, sort of). Enthusiasts look elsewhere...

So I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can check the screen capabilities?

I'm buying a DVI cable at the weekend to aid my 'research'.

Can I hook up a PC via DVI and get it to output a HDTV signal of some kind to check how the screen behaves?

Also, I have a DVD player which outputs Progressive scan, it has SCART and Component output's. Can't find the manual for it at the moment :blush:
In general, can a Progressive Scan signal be sent via scart?
If only via Component, anyone know of a 'Component to SCART' or 'Component to DVI' conneciton I could get to try out Prog Scan?

Make sure when you buy your DVI cable that it's the correct one. There are 2 main types, DVI-D and DVI-I. DVI-D is digital only where DVI-I is analogue and digital. There is a physical difference between them and although a DVI-D cable can plug into a DVI-I input, a DVI-I cable will NOT fit a DVI-D input.

With regards to Prog Scan, Scart does not normally take Prog Scan so either the shop owner is talking out of his @rse or the Mitsi can actually take Prog Scan through Scart.

Whichever, you need a DVD player that actually sends Prog Scan through Scart which I would doubt. There are Component to VGA adapters out there so this is a possibility in getting Prog Scan through the VGA input.....if the Mitsi can do that ofcourse.

Richie.

richjthorpe said:
Make sure when you buy your DVI cable that it's the correct one. There are 2 main types, DVI-D and DVI-I. DVI-D is digital only where DVI-I is analogue and digital. There is a physical difference between them and although a DVI-D cable can plug into a DVI-I input, a DVI-I cable will NOT fit a DVI-D input.

With regards to Prog Scan, Scart does not normally take Prog Scan so either the shop owner is talking out of his @rse or the Mitsi can actually take Prog Scan through Scart.

Whichever, you need a DVD player that actually sends Prog Scan through Scart which I would doubt. There are Component to VGA adapters out there so this is a possibility in getting Prog Scan through the VGA input.....if the Mitsi can do that ofcourse.

Richie.

Thanks Richie. I'll check the connections tonight to make sure I get the correct DVI Cable.

On connecting Component input to it... AFAIK the Philips 32PF9986 doesn't have Component connectors. How does it manage to take Widescreen or Progressive scan input then? Throught the DVI input?

dancin said:
Thanks Richie. I'll check the connections tonight to make sure I get the correct DVI Cable.

On connecting Component input to it... AFAIK the Philips 32PF9986 doesn't have Component connectors. How does it manage to take Widescreen or Progressive scan input then? Throught the DVI input?

From what I can remember (Philips owners will be able to correct me if I'm wrong) the Philips TVs come with a Component to VGA and a VGA to DVI-I connections.

Richie.

Connected up my PC last night, via a DVI-D single channel cable I borrowed from the techie guys in work. Picture was the business.

PC detected it as a plug and play monitor. Resolution options were 640*480, 800*600, 1024*768, 1280*720 and 1280*768. I tried all except 640*480. Each scaled to fit the screen and looked good.

But the 1280*768 was really great. Rock solid, and exact pixel matching. Text easy to read when sitting on the couch.

Only refresh rate available was 60Hz. I guess this means that will have problems hooking up a PAL DVD player through DVI? But then again, I should be able to play DVD's through the PC and get a rock solid image - or will the PC interlace the DVD image too?

Can u possibly tell me how to hook my pc to my hdtv.

I have a mitsubishi hdtv 1080/720. I tried using a dvi type cable from the computer that went to my lcd monitor..and used a adapter dvi to hdmi and plugged that into my Denon receiver. I have 4 hdmi's on the back of my Denon. one is used for the tv ..i used a open one that is dvd.....initially the computer can be seen on the tv when the pc is first turned on...or at least a flashing icon until the computer completely starts and than a blue screen.......cannot get a pc picture.....any help would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom