HDTV + Next-Gen Gaming = ?

Sicton

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm just wondering what your opinions are regarding how high-definition, or the 'HD era' as Microsoft call it, will affect the way we experience next-generation games?

If you've already played games in high-definition on Xbox for example, how does the way you experience a game change, and what is so appealing about high definition to you? Why is it better, and how much difference does it really make and will it make in the future?

Personally, I think it will have a reasonable impact in terms of games becoming more life-like, movie-like and photographic, and will help to draw in the gamer as a result.

Please discuss :)

Its the only way to go.

I cant beleive how what blurry mess the Xbox looks like through RGB scart compared to Hi-DEF through component inputs, the difference is incredible !!.

When you think how affordable 26" 32" and even 37" LCD's are becoming, why would you not want your games to look the best they possibly can on these Hi Res screens.

Its going to be a great Xmas with Xbox 2 coming out, cant wait.

Yes Hi Def - even 480p is far better than normal RGB Scart as you would imagine. 720p looks fantastic even through mt PJ which has to scale down for that resolution!

As 360 games are going to be all 720p at least then I see myself upgrading my PJ early next year! :thumbsup:

I have seen the launch specs for Xbox 360. All games support 720p & 1080i :clap:

1080is where its at. And my PJ is Hi Def ready and supports those resolutions so its party on :clap:

Yes it makes a massive massive difference. You only have to look at the quality of the games that support these resolutions on the xbox image what the 360 stuff will look like :clap:

harrisuk said:
I have seen the launch specs for Xbox 360. All games support 720p & 1080i :clap:

1080is where its at. And my PJ is Hi Def ready and supports those resolutions so its party on :clap:

Yes it makes a massive massive difference. You only have to look at the quality of the games that support these resolutions on the xbox image what the 360 stuff will look like :clap:

1080i is only of any use if you have a tv capable of 1080 lines. Most tvs/projectors are only capable of 720/768 lines, and therefore 720p is the better option. Still, if you have £5,000 spare, you could buy Sharp's 45" lcd that has the full 1920 by 1080 res. http://www.sharp.co.uk/titanium/

I personally prefer 720p to 1080i as the prog scan image from 720p looks much better than the albeit higher res interlaced image of 1080i IMO. Naturally 1080p would be great though :smashin:

Does anyone know how this will affect us many Panasonic PW7 plasma screen owners. I don't want to upgrade to a HD plasma just for a slightly sharper picture :)

12240i 3:1 widescreen and 2^36 onscreen colours is the future!! And the future is next Thursday!

PiePie said:
12240i 3:1 widescreen and 2^36 onscreen colours is the future!! And the future is next Thursday!

eh, what? :confused:

matt bellamy said:
Does anyone know how this will affect us many Panasonic PW7 plasma screen owners. I don't want to upgrade to a HD plasma just for a slightly sharper picture :)

Yeh the next gen consoles won't only be giving out a high def output so will be compatible with the standard resolution.

PiePie said:
36720*12240 resolution with 68719476736 colours. Next Thursday.

So what was supposed to happen last Thursday then?

PC games have been HD capable for a long time though the level of support for higher detail in game textures and so on, depends on what that programmers provide. There's little reason to up the res to 1600x1200 or whatnot if the game's been optimised to look it's best at 1280 x 1024. All you'll be doing is stretching the picture - filling the screen with the same level of detail but no additional eye candy.

It's about time console hardware caught up with PCs in terms of offering greater support for higher resolutions. You should be able to play games such as the GTA series as they were meant to be viewed. Though it's down to other hardware aspects of graphics rendering that'll help push those higher levels of details not to mention developing new physics engines to provide a more immersive gaming experience. All the additional eye candy comes at a price, and HD gaming is said to up the development costs for adding to the art budget etc - they reckon at least £10 will be added to the usual price of recent releases.

It's nice to see PC and console gaming converging. Though you can't beat the input method for PC gaming, it would be nice to view a decent game in the comfort of your sofa on a large screen with capable sound quality.

1080i = 30 fps
720p & 1080p = 60 FPS

Progressive scan would obviously be better for gaming than interlace.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom