1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV....my views

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jamesanderson, Dec 18, 2004.

1. jamesanderson

jamesanderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive only been on the forum for a month, so if i am wrong please correct me

i know that hdtv is the way forward...
    it offers up to 4 times better images quality that standard dvd...
    sky high def will offer this for ‘normal’ programmes…which will mean that shows being recorded will have to be recorded using a different type of camera ???
    consumers will have to pay £3000+ (hdtv) in order to view hdtv

what about the consumers out there who like me have just been and got a new plasma...

i got a 37" viera, and after 2 weeks of reading threads finding the best setup for it.....watching countless dvds (flicking through the sceens) to get my tv set up how i like, worrying that it was broke because my wife was watching charmed and the pq was rubbish...

...i stumble over a few threads about hdtv, now i know the 37" panny viera is not fully hdtv compatible due to the resolution (852 x 480)...but if the tv was fed a hdtv broadcast in a higher resolution...

wouldnt the scaler down scale the image to fit the screen? is this not better than (pointed out on another thread) stretching an image to fit a bigger area...(loss of pq)?

but then i find out that hdtv will use hdmi or dvi…..I only have scart, so does my dvd recorder, so will the start of hdtv viewing render my new plasma and dvd recorder obsolete?

I know products will be released so people in my position can still view the broadcast of hdtv….such as a converter….but wouldn’t this defy the point of having hdtv…converting a digital signal hdmi/dvi to analogue scart…

Any do sky think that the subscription to their hdtv service will take off if consumers have to pay what is probably going to be a high monthly fee aswell as the cost of a tv in the region of 3k???

I probably will upgrade my system in the next few years, but it annoys me the fact that big name companies are not incorporating the technology for what should be ‘‘a big event’ in the way people view tv,’’ into models of their products.

There is always going to be advances in technology, and consumers will pay the price if they buy early, but when is the right time to buy….when the price is so low because the technology is becoming obsolete, or when the technology is at its best.

Even if you buy at its best….there will always be something around the corner to make your product out dated, why cant manufacturers realize this and make products backward compatible???

any mistakes please let me know
    anyone else got any input please post here

2. Sword

Sword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi James,

I'm new to all this too ... However, I went the little extra to get a HD plasma (panasonic 42HD7) and I've only got a SCART on it at present.

Thing is, I'm hoping to have this thing for quite a few years without upgrading until hologram tv comes along or something (lol) so wanted to be HDTV ready.

I'm assuming that I can simply buy another plug-in board should the signal or cable box require a different input from SCART.

For now, I'd love to know if there's anything else I can do to appreciate the HD except plug in a computer.

Console yourself with this fact: by the time HDTV is readily available over here, you'll be able to pick up a 2nd hand HD plasma (like the one I just bought) for a few hundred quid tops - and a good one at that. I on the other hand won't get the benefit of my extra investment for some time to come.

If you are happy with your model, don't let "what might be" detract from your enjoyment. As you say, there's always going to be something better this time next year.

Sword

3. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sword,

Sorry to break the bad news to you but if you read through the mega 'Final Call about Panny and HDMI/DVI' thread you will see that the plug-in board necessary to take you into the brave new world of HDTV is not compatible with what is proposed for this country. Time to get all indignant like the rest of us and post a few digs at Panasonic.

Allan

4. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Many programmes - particularly in the US - are already recorded with HDTV in mind. Anything recorded on to film can be made into a HD transfer quite effectively.

Not true. You can get HD resolution LCDs or rear projections for much less. The LG 42PX12 is a high res plasma and can be had for £1800. These are at current rates. By the time HDTV comes online, there will be new screens, and who knows what price they will be at.

HD broadcasts (particularly via digital connections) can be quite beneficial, even if the screen does not have a high resolution itself. As long as the screen takes the input, which the Panasonics, Hitachis (@720/50) don't.

Yes it could, and it would be better. Problem is you don't have the inputs to do it. It *may* be possible to buy an analog convertor for it, but that is another discussion.

Well, the plasma you chose will not be able to take advantage - doesn't necessarily make it obsolete, and certainly not overnight.

Your DVD recorder isn't going to be particularly helpful for HDTV - even if you could input the high resolution signal, higher res means more data, and you wouldn't be able to store much high res content on current DVDs. On the other hand, it's quite possible that the HDTV STBs will have a standard low resolution analog output for these purposes, that outputs a downscaled image.

Can't say without seeing such a device, but IMHO it would be largely pointless - it would only be worth going down that route if there was content available on HDTV that wasn't available elsewhere.

They aren't going to convert everyone overnight, and they aren't going to expect that. There will be quite a few people in the position to take advantage of HDTV by then though, as well as others that (haven't upgraded now, and) will be looking to upgrade their set then anyway. And who knows what it will cost by then? It's not going to be a flood, but I would be surprised if there wasn't a reasonable trickle of people taking up HDTV.

5. Sword

Sword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Allan, thanks for your comments.

I imagine (hope) that panny will release a new board as and when the time comes. Meanwhile, its fantastic quality and I've no regrets. Will look out for and read the thread you refer to tho ...

ta,
    Sword