Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HDTV LCD - help, tearing hair out

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by AdamC, Sep 3, 2005.

1. AdamC

AdamC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all, first post.

Im starting to get a bit fed up searching for the best LCD tv to suit my needs as ive nearly bought two now and have been put off my purchases. I need your guys help as im tearing my hair out at the moment, im due to get my first credit card soon ( YAY!! ) and want to make my first purchase a 32" HDTV set for my bedroom but it must include the following things for under £1K -

32" HDTV / HD-Ready set
    Res - 1366x768
    Must have excellent picture quality through all sources
    ( The tv will be used by the family, so inferior quality images wont do )
    No faults - was about to get the Samsung but heard about the tearing issue.
    Fully X-Box 360 compatible
    Component Input
    Freeview would be nice!!

Ive nearly bought the Samsung as mentioned above but was put off with the tearing, and then i was about to go for the ACER AT3201W but someone else put me off that one.

What can you learned peeps recommend? Hows the Sagem HD-L32T or the LG 32LX2R? Is the ACER really that bad? Dont want to spend more than £1K remember

Help would be most appreciated

Thanks

AdamC

2. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I bought the Acer about 1 month ago and it's increadible. Picture quality is fantastic, and it's so easy to use. There's only 2 mino faults I found.
    1- The speakers are ugly, but you can take them off if the TV is connected to a sepereate sound system (like mine is)

2- the cooling fan is loudish, but once the volume is on the TV you can't hear it unless the volume is very low.

My advice would be get it ASAP. It's so good.

3. AdamC

AdamC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening mate, thanks for your comments on the Acer.

To be honest i didnt know that Acer even made tv's until i started looking around the net, i knew that they made other stuff like computer parts cause im a computer engineer.

What do you use your Acer for? Is it purely for tv / dvd or does it ever get used for games?

I would be mostly using mine for gaming so it would have to perform well, have you any pictures of your's working at all?

What does the set look like as well? Some people say that its rather ugly and not to everyone's liking, although i cant really see this being a problem if it works as well as you say.

AdamC

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    AdamC

Still images of an LCD wont tell you how fast it refreshes (or not) - you need to go look at this kit with your PS2 or whatever under your arm if that's going to be a big part of your viewing.

Best regards

Joe

PS Have you thought of using an LCD or DLP Projector - some excellent sub £1K kit now on the market!!!

5. AdamC

AdamC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate, it might be worth me going down to Currys with my xbox and seeing how a few of them compare.

Not really thought about a projector to be honest, was really after an LCD tv.

Thanks for the help

AdamC

6. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I use my Acer for TV and PS2. I watch a lot of football on it which has a reputation for being bad on LCD's. It's superb on the Acer. As for games, I play a wide selection including pro evo soccer and metal gear solid. These all look fantastic. If you like I could take a few videos of it whilst I play. Let me know what you want the vids of.

As for the look, I'd have to repeat what I said earlier. With the speakers it's a bit chunky (but still very nice), but without the speakers it's even better. Looks fantastic.

7. AdamC

AdamC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sent you a private message mate!

AdamC

8. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Think you're churlish to dismiss the Samsung - it's won awards in every group test i've seen on 32" LCD's.

I'm about to make the same purchase as you and the Samsung is still VERY MUCH at the top of my list. I will also be doing a lot of XB360 gaming.

There's a lot of speculation that newer firmware will resolve this issue anyway (if it actually exists)

9. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the 32" Samsung and although I don't use Xbox on it, I do have a HiDef DVD (HD950) on which I play all my Region 1 discs.
    I have tried many disks and both 760 and 1080 - no tearing evident at all.

Like yourselves I was concerned about this issue having read (some of) the 250-odd pages in that LCD forum thread.
    All I can say is that I am BLOWN AWAY by the quality of this set. Even the Freeview is outstanding. :clap:
    Last night, I watch a high-def Divx of 'Rome', the new BBC/HBO series, and my jaw didn't leave the floor!!
    I took a good look at all the competition and was veering towards the Toshiba, but decided to go for the Samsung... and delighted I did.
    Happy with it as a TV in its own right - but the price of the thing in comparison to the others on the market makes it unbeatable value, IMHO.

Note that not everyone has experienced the tearing problem, and a number of those who have commented that it was barely noticeable - if they hadn't been looking for it, they wouldn't have noticed it.
    I will qualify my comments by stating I haven't had the set very long, so time will tell..... :rolleyes:

10. AdamC

AdamC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon mate, over the course of the last couple of days i have looked at literally hundreds of posts regarding which is the best 32" LCD to have and the conclusion ive come to today is that the Samsung is the best of the lot.

Im still interested in seeing what the Acer is capable of but ive done a 180 on the Samsung and have decided that it is worth giving it a go, this is due to there only being a small percentage of samsung owners complaining about the tearing problem and everyone else seems to highly recommend it.

I was also wondering whether i would even notice the tearing problem in the middle of a film or a game, and i decided that this was highly unlikely.

You say there may be a firmware update being released to solve the tearing issue? Is this something that you could download off of the internet and do yourself or would you need to get an engineer out?

Thanks, the samsung is once again at the top of my list :smashin:

AdamC

11. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The firmware thing was raised on the war & peace size thread on here. Don't know 100% what the outcome. I reckon if the issue becomes bad they'll have to do something about it as it will affect 100's if not 1000's of owners.

I'm ordering mine shortly - what's the best current price people have found the samsung for ?

12. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    My Samsung LE32R51 arrives in the morning. I've been told that the difference between the 41 and 51 was the improved firmware. I'm not a techy so took that at face value.
    Its certainly whuppin' ass in all the trade tests.
    Most of the mammoth thread was taken by a few people with tearing problems. Most of those were gamers as far as I could see. I saw no tearing on the freeview input or any dvd input when I checked it out in the store.
    I changed my Samsung slim crt for this model. The geometry problems were becoming an obssession the wife could do without so we asked if we could change it at Currys. The rest is history.... :thumbsup:

13. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris :hiya: ,

The only difference between the 41 and the 51 is cosmetic (the facia). The firmware is identical.

However, for all those concerned about the tearing problem, it looks like IT IS RESOLVED. :clap:

NOW try and find a reason not to get the Sammy (besides the waiting time)!! :smashin:

14. AdamC

AdamC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now im definately getting the Samsung :smashin:

If like you say i can find anywhere that has one in stock!!

AdamC

15. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How can it be a HiDef DVD player if it does not play HD or Blueray disks?
    HDMI out does not a HiDef player make unless it can support HiDef source, - can this player play 720P or 1080i wmv files? If so - where can I buy one?

Just checked the spec for DVD standards the best vertical resolution that can go on the disk is 576 lines (NTSC is 480).

Interesting aside, all DVD encryption used 4:2:0 YUV which in fact means the colour resolution is half the luminescence bother vertically and horizontally. I don’t know if this is the case with HD - but I bet it is for HD transmission and sources using MPEG2 – I don’t know about MPEG4.

16. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    It's arrived at last. Currys delivery 8.30pm!!!! I have not had any chance to play with it yet. Just managed to get it set up in time for 'Lost'. I am not disappointed, What a fantastic picture, straight from the box. Will be even better tomorrow after I customise it. :thumbsup:
    Anyone who is still wavering on which 32" LCD to buy should stop and go and get one of these. Samsung LE32R51 certainly lives up to its reputation :clap:

17. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok, no need to take it so literally ;) - I'm sure you know I'm referring to an upscaling DVD player. Apologies for the improper use of the terminology, but every time I see someone refer to an upscaler, it initiates a number of 'what does that mean?' responses. I just wanted to keep it simple.
    As you correctly state, authentic High-Def on DVD won't be available until Blu-Ray is released. HD-DVD is now mooted for release much later.

18. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Multiply - to be honest I got all excited for a bit and thought that something might be on the market. Still if the PQ is that good I could use a 2nd player.....