1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV is possible from a DVD player now!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Wayne Moule, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    As long as they don't try to implement the farcical DRM that was used on T2:EE, i'm all for WMP9 stuff on DVD, looks great to my eyes.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Windows Media Player Video & Audio are both included in the scope of HiMAT so DVD producers should start supporting it as a matter of course sooner or later. Whether or not anyone uses it though remains to be seen.

4. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if means HD content on DVD reaches us quicker then I'm all for it, but YET ANOTHER monopoly for M$?

But (Homer Simpson style drool..) HD-DVD...aarrlll:zonked:

5. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    What are the chances of the UK seeing normal affordable HD televisions in the future?

Not all of us have room for projectors etc.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    The way Micro$oft is pushing to get its format ratified, that could be the way forward for existing DVD - only the firmware needs to be modified and not then entire loader mechanism for Blu-Ray etc. Would be a lot cheaper.

But as always we'll just have to wait and see.

Gary.

7. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yes I'm a bit woried about microsoft having control. However I really want HD DVD now. Mainly I want 24 frames per second progresive sources regardless of the resolution. Then we won't have to suffer pal speedup for dvds. And there will be no issue of NTSC vs PAL. Plus the fact there will be less need to replace my whole back catalogue of DVDs so early on.

If only it weren't to be controled by Microsoft.

cosaw

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The odds of Microsoft Windows Media Video becoming a defacto standard for HD is slim. I have no doubt we will see some HD content encoded this way - and HiMAT will ensure there are some players (as well as all PCs) that can play the disks. But that said it is not a requirement of HiMAT that a machine can play Windows Media Video (it's optional) hence why it can't be played on the majority of HiMAT enabled players. Personally I believe BluRay will become the standard medium for HD releases with them encoded using standard MPEG2.

Why? Well firstly BluRay technology will be developed for it's PC uses as much as anything but also for it's set-top recorder use - the current 4.7GB limit is still way to restrictive. As such set-tops become available we are likely to also see BluRay compatible DVD players. A comparable situation to DVD-RAM compatibility for example. So eventually the user base will be there.

Secondly none of the major producers have been too keen to pay royalities to Microsoft in the past. Hence the push towards Open Source Linex as a base for electrical products.

Thirdly more people will be affected should the encoding format change from MPEG2 than disk producers who will need new machines.

There are also the piracy issues: as internet connections get faster downloading 4GB or even 9GB of data ripped from a DVD will not be regarded as unfeasible. Whereas downloading a 23GB movie would be. Of course digital video can be re-encoded like DivX copies of DVDs but this would harm quality which would reduce piracy to acceptable limits.

All just my 2p on the subject...

9. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    All good points, but will we get blue ray as soon that's the question. I think generally I'd prefer it, due to the Microsoft issue! Also I'd prefer a medium protected from scratches the way minidisc is. Am I still correct in believing that BluRay discs will have some sort of similar caddy?

cosaw

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just wondering about the durability of these higher capacity DVD's. If a small scratch will make the disc unreadable surely these new disc's will have to be a caddy of some sort?

Maybe have a Minidisc style case to protect the disc? MO discs also have a enclosed case to protect from dust, scratches etc.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    BluRay disks will initially come in caddies - but there is no reason to suspect that a caddyless version will not be possible (as with DVD-RAM) once a suitable protective coating has been developed. Better in caddies IMHO - gives the disks a very high durability.

12. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Caddies are the way forward IMO. By all means have write once discs that can be removed and played in other devices, but the truth is that as the datas areal density increases, the likelihood of an uncaddied disc having a long and undamaged life are next to damn zero. Its bad enough with DVD+-RW now.