1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV is going to be expensive !!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by shoestring25, Dec 13, 2004.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    thinking about it i will have to get a new tv oviosly i had prpared my self for that but then i have to get a new sky box and probably a more expensive subsciption also a high definaition dvd player.

im not sure if a new amp be needed i might need one for all the HDMI switching because the tele will proably only have one HDMI socket. will the dvd player and sky box still have optical outputs for connection to my old amp? and then i can just get a switch box for the HDMI connectors and i wont have to buy a new amp

2. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a TV. My satellite receiver was about $500, but it doubles as an 80GB PVR. I have Voom HD service. Output at the back is regular component cables. Sound is output via optical out. No HDMI for me.

3. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    rahl, sky are going the HDMI w/ HDCP path. because so many people rip sky off by putting their shows on the internet. it was only the other week i saw 4,000 people avidly downloading "Britains Hardest Villages". oh wait, no i didn't. its just another lame excuse to make us buy more expensive equipment (ie their portable sky unit that has enforced copy protection, we'll be footing the bills for sky's paranoia.)

but yes, HD will be expensive. but c'mon, how many people thought it wouldn't be? its hardly for people who buy all their AV gear in the argos sale is it :)