HDTV in the UK?

nickane

Standard Member
Reaction score
What with ITVdigital's troubles, does anybody think that we might end up getting HDTV here after all? this is a particularly pressing question for those of us who aren't sure whether we should wait for the high-res pjs coming out towards the end of the year (HD-2 models etc.).

does anybody think that we might end up getting HDTV here after all

In your dreams m8
I would love HDTV but we have no chance, if ITV digital folds we will still get all the free digital channels, I believe these have nothing to do with ITV digital.
Just think if they do fold, we could have BBC at about 10mb bitrate :) sorry I'm dreaming again, and maybe componant out with progressive scan from my Digital receiver.

You know if you do the maths, standard 16:9 PAL resolution is not far off HD! If it were not for the crappy digital artefacts (low Bit Rate etc) it would look pretty stunning! In fact, when it goes progressive (whenever that may be) it will be even closer to HD (576P)! This is the main reason that PAL progressive is having difficulties being finalised (especially for DVD), it looks too damn good that the powers that be in Hollywood are afraid of piracy - again!!!

Also, as the benefits from going to 720P from 576P would not be as great as it was jumping up from 480P in the US, the expense is not deemed worthy by the industry. And no wonder, as the public here seem happy enough with the pictures they get now, which in my opinion are often bettered by many VCD'S! Where is the incentive?

Cheers Kane

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom