HDTV Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by WeSayAJ, Apr 24, 2007.

1. WeSayAJ

WeSayAJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I posted this in the wrong place yesterday after reading the section again.

Hey,

I was pointed here by a couple of chaps from another forum. I am looking at getting a HDTV, problem is after some research they seem to be ridiculously complicated and a real minefield.

I dont want to get a piece of crap and I have some fairly specific needs and wants for it so hopefully you guys will be able to lend a hand.

Okay for the most part I plainy need a new TV my old one is seriously dated and not HD Compatible. I want a 1080p set because i have recently bought a PS3 and when the stunning 1080p games come out I want to see them in all their glory. I have heard that you cant get 1080p on anything less than a 42inch and also that its dodgy getting a 1080p with anything less than 1920 x 1080 pixels. Apparently if its not this setting then scaling down to a standard defintion can look really bad. Im looking at around a grand as a budget but obviously the cheaper the better!

So in short

Requirements

HDTV
    1080p not 1080i
    42inch plus
    Decent make
    1920 x 1080 pixels
    £1000 budget
    Wall mountable (no need for stands or flashy surrounds which should keep the price down to an extent i assume its cheaper to have just the set and wall mounts going by the varying prices on the TH42PX70)

Questions
    Can you get 1080p on smaller than a 42'?
    Is the pixel requirement true?
    Do I need to know anything before jumping both feet first?
    Plasma vs LCD - Whats better? Somebody told me that Plasmas burn out after a few years? Surely thats not true?

Just require some advice tbh guys as I have no real idea and I dont want to make a massive cock up!!!!

Thanks in advance

2. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    You aren't going to get a 1920x1080 plasma for under 2000. There isn't even a 42" available yet until the Panny PZ700 comes out. Currently they're 50" only and 4K+

Have a search in here for 1080p. There's a lot of discussion already on whether it's really needed. If you're thinking of getting smaller than 42", then LCD and still want native 1080p after doing some research, then might be your best bet. And I don't say that very often.

And no, it's not true. There's a lot of guff around about TVs, especially plasmas.