HDTV Help

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by WeSayAJ, Apr 23, 2007.

1. WeSayAJ

WeSayAJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I was pointed here by a couple of chaps from another forum. I am looking at getting a HDTV, problem is after some research they seem to be ridiculously complicated and a real minefield. :(

I dont want to get a piece of crap and I have some fairly specific needs and wants for it so hopefully you guys will be able to lend a hand.

Okay for the most part I plainy need a new TV my old one is seriously dated and not HD Compatible. I want a 1080p set because i have recently bought a PS3 and when the stunning 1080p games come out I want to see them in all their glory. I have heard that you cant get 1080p on anything less than a 42inch and also that its dodgy getting a 1080p with anything less than 1920 x 1080 pixels. Apparently if its not this setting then scaling down to a standard defintion can look really bad. Im looking at around a grand as a budget but obviously the cheaper the better!

So in short

Requirements

HDTV
    1080p not 1080i
    42inch plus
    Decent make
    1920 x 1080 pixels
    £1000 budget
    Wall mountable (no need for stands or flashy surrounds which should keep the price down to an extent i assume its cheaper to have just the set and wall mounts going by the varying prices on the TH42PX70)

Questions
    Can you get 1080p on smaller than a 42'?
    Is the pixel requirement true?
    Do I need to know anything before jumping both feet first?
    Plasma vs LCD - Whats better? Somebody told me that Plasmas burn out after a few years? Surely thats not true?

Just require some advice tbh guys as I have no real idea and I dont want to make a massive cock up!!!!

Thanks in advance :)

2. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,761