1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV HDMI to 1080i component ??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by madhatter, Jul 28, 2005.

1. madhatter

madhatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

Just about to purchase a Samsung 32" slimfit.

It accepts 480i/480p/576i/1080i component input, so it is in some sense of the word high def ready. However, the lack of HMDI connector confuses me a little.

Anybody know if this component input iis RGB or YPBr ? Also, I didn't think HDTV was available in analogue form. If (when)I do eventually buy a HD DVD player, or subscribe to a HDTV service, can I convert HDTV HMDI to analogue component ?

Hmmmmmmm...........

many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Chris.

2. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sky's first HD boxes will have component inputs so it will be OK for that. There are aparently gadgets that will convert. The only problem I see is in this copyright protection issue. This seems to be the only real reason for HDMI inputs as far as I can see.

Then again I'm not realy techy. (Thank goodness :rolleyes: )

3. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it accepts these inputs but does it display them at their native resolution? Could be worth finding this out if you're buying this with the intention of watching HDTV.

4. madhatter

madhatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This set does indeed accept a 1080i componant input, and infact its native resolution is 1080i.

Chriszzzzzz hit the nail on the head when he mentioned copyright protection. HDTV adheres to a strict protocol which includes, amongst other things, signal encryption. I have located a unit that converts HDTV to componant but the cost is prohibitive. May aswell get a set that is TRULY high def ready.

I have mentally relegated the tube as a thing of the past, and have decided to wait a little while longer and buy a 32" high def ready LCD display. (and I mean HD ready in the true real world sense of the word.).

Probably a Samsung or Panasonic as the ones I have seen display a fantastic, crisp image...just a tad pricy at the moment......

Chris.