1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV / Freeview / Integrated

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gavin Oliver, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm a bit confused is there any difference between.
    HDTV enabled
    Integrated Digital Tuner and
    Freeview

If a set has integrated digital is it possible to view one digital channel while recording another.

Gavin

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Freeview is the UK terrestrial digital TV service.
    An integrated digital tuner will receive this.

HDTV (High Definition TV) is a totally different animal.
    None of the Freeview channels transmit in HD ; Sky have announced their intention to at some future stage (via satellite so a separate settop box will be needed as well as dish/LNB etc.).

There is a separate forum section on HDTV which you may want to peruse.
    Only a small number of TVs have HD compatible displays at present (JVC "H" models and some plasma and projection units).
    The only current HDTV transmissions that you can access in UK are on the Astra satellites at 19 degrees east (not the Astra 28 degrees location where $ky Digital reside) and Hotbird at 13 degrees East. Most current transmissions are effectively only tests at this stage in their evolution.
    HDTV requires a different MPEG decoder chipset than the ones used in normal satellite receivers, integrated tuners and Freeview boxes anyway.
    See HDTV forum for more details.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris,
    So the new JVC that everones talking about the HV 32D40 will be able to receive HDTV if and when it arrives.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I don't think it's quite that easy, as the parameters for any future HD service have yet to be finalised.

I assume that any TV that claims to be "HD Ready", has a suitable display and timebases, but you'll still need a STB for the decoding bit.

Buying a TV for a service that's not yet on the air is always a bit of a gamble.

Unless, of course, someone knows different...

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Tight Git has nailed that one correctly.

The JVC will work with a suitable HD STB inputting to it via the SCART socket.
    We just don't know what the STB will be yet - and I doubt if Sky know yet either.

More discussions on this are in the HDTV section of these forums.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

6. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats a STB inputter?
    Will it be hard or software upgrade?
    If a set has integrated digital is it possible to view one digital channel while recording another?

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    They mean Set Top Box, i.e. a Sky digibox, Freeview receiver box, or in the case of HDTV signals, a suitable STB capable of decoding the signal out outputting it over component, DVI or HDMI connections

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think you meant inputting the signal to the JVC's component input

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think you'd be barmy not to strongly consider making sure your TV can accept HDTV signals via component, HDCP enabled DVI or HDMI (or a combination of these) if you're into home cinema and buying now, unless you're the kind of person who has the money to change their TV every year or so and doesn't mind the hassle this entails. Personally I generally expect a TV to last me at least a year per £100 it costs me, so I'm certainly looking for HDTV compatibility.

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It won't be able to "receive" HDTV, as it doesn't have a HDTV tuner. It will be able to accept HDTV signals input from an external device such as an STB or HD-DVD, or D-Theatre D-VHS deck.

The only possible drawback is if Sky, for whatever reason, don't have component outputs on their HDTV STB's when they launch the service. However, this would be tantamount to commercial suicide since the majority of the potential users of their HDTV service in this country will likely only have component inputs, rather than HDCP compliant DVI and/or HDMI

11. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do the "Wise Owls" think this JVC HV-32D40 will be a good choice for possible HD in the future?

12. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Cerebros,

I hope you're not thinking of buying a plasma and expecting it to last 30 Years!

When I said it's a bit of a gamble to buy a TV for a future service, I was thinking of promised upgrades which don't materialise.

For example, when Terrestrial Digital originally started, it was possible to buy an IDTV without the CAM since the scrambling system had not been finalised.

The promised CAM never appeared, leaving those IDTV owners having to use a STB anyway (something they specifically wanted to avoid).

Hence my warning to be careful.

13. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with buying any type of equipment to work with future developments are that the by the time the future arrives, either your equipment is out of date or the standards have changed. So you find your self with something that will either not work at all as promised, or is not quite right. If your lucky a simple software upgrade may sort things out, but if the hardware's not up to it, then you've wasted the extra money you spent for extra features.

Look at computers, early versions of PCI slots, AGP ,USB on the first motherboards to support them were often unstable. If the board was few years old by the time you needed some sort of BIOS update, the manufacturer had new boards out and wasn't interested in supporting the older stuff.

So if the TV you want has every thing you need now and the HDTV compatibility isn't adding too much to the price, then great but I wouldn't spend a load of money on something with the promise of it working in the future with something which is still not finalised

14. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have one - Ondigital CAM

15. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Thanks for all the information, I now have a basic understanding of the difference between HDTV ready and integrated digital. But would be grateful if the following could be explained.

1. With a built in Digital receiver is it possible to record one digital channel while watching another.
    2. How does the interactive side of digital work with a broadband Internet connection does the JVC have a dial up modem or what?
    3. Is the JVC HV32d40 a reasonable set to use for connecting to a PC to use as a basis for a PVR.
    Regards
    Gavin

16. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It is if you have a DTTV PVR

17. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You'd need two tuners to be able to do that, and AFAIAA the JVC HVxxD40's only have the single tuner, so the answer would be no. You'd have to invest in a seperate Freeview decoder of some description in order to be able to record while watching digial TV from the sets tuner

Freeview does not provide any "interactivity" that makes use of a phone connection. Sky and NTL are the only ones who provide interactive services of sufficient complexity to require a phone connection.

18. Gavin Oliver

Gavin Oliver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean if your PC also has a digital tuner on a PCI card