1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV downloads

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by David167, Jun 4, 2004.

1. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

I've been reading these threads for the last few days and i wonder if someone can answer the following question:

Are the downloads from newsgroups true hi-def? As far as I understand it, HDTV transmission in the US are either 1080i or 720P, running @ approx 19mbps (constant). A 2 hour film would equate to a 16gig download! Reading on these forums that people have downloaded 5th Element 720p @ 4 odd gig, doesn't seem right. Are these download compressed from the originals? Are they merely dvd rips, then up-converted? If so, that would mean you are getting around the same amount of information as you would from a dvd (apart from the higher resolution).

I hope someone can clarify this for me before I go thru the trouble of downloading, as I already have several films on D-vhs running @ 19mbps, so I wouldn't want to compromise on quality.

David

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    There's a mix - some are the full monty broadcast transport stream, and they do run to 14-19Gbs. Others are re-encoded to WM9, and those are usually around the 4Gb mark, I guess to fit on a dvd-r.

Most will have a small .nfo text file as part of the download, so you can grab that first and it will usually tell you what the content actually is.

3. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think the transport streams are a bit smaller than you would expect because they are stripped of all the extra data that is not necesaary - this can be quite a lot apparently.

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Just to confirm what Ringer has said, Kill Bill 720p in .TS format weighs in at about 11.9 gig IIRC.

Also, the encoded WM9 files are still hidef, but if you read some of the comments posted here, you will see that some are encoded better than others. At the moment, I have a craving for anything .TS.... even though it won't necessarily be brilliant, most I have seen are great. With a decent broadband connection, downloading a 12 gig file isn't THAT bad....honnest.

Give it a try, you might like it :D

Cheers

Rob

5. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys, I was wondering whether anyone has had the opportunity to compare these downloads with say, d-theatre stuff...

I would be looking to transfer these files to either dvd or d-vhs tape, I assume this is possible... I don't have a HTPC to run WM9 stuff, can it be converted to play on a dvd??

David

6. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...so as Ringer has said, it the data that isn't needed is stripped, you basically end up with as much info as you would have on a dvd??

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    As I understand it the transport stream contains a lot of data that isn't part of the audio/video and therefore is not required if you only want to watch the movie but is used by the broadcaster for other purposes. It's not the same thing as taking a video source and compressing it with mpegII and throwing away bits of the image you don't need.

The use of WM9 and DIVX for compressing data allows you to have a higher resolution image (compared to DVD spec) with a much smaller file size which is why the WM9 encodes posted recently can fit on a single layer DVD but are created to the HD spec.