1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV distribution

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by charnez, Mar 11, 2005.

1. charnez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    We are currently looking for a new 2nd tv for a study - mainly for husband to play PS2 and watch rugby/cricket matches on. On the grounds of aesthetics (mine!) we had been leaning towards the Sony KLV27HR3 - but since reading the postings here I am slightly concerned that this won't support HDTV from Sky in the same way that a Sharp GA4 would. But I'm also not certain whether this matters to us, as the Sky box is plugged into the main tv in the lounge and the signal is then distributed to various other tvs in the house via standard arial cables. So my question is do we only need to ensure that the main tv has HDTV capability - or would we still need any secondary tvs to have this capability to be able to watch any HDTV broadcasts on them as well.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting very confused. Thanks.
  2. richjthorpe

Aug 2, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    dat london
    The HDTV from $ky is getting confusing at the moment. First they say you need DVI/HDMI inputs on your TV, then they say they are including Component connections for non copyright programs.

You wont be able to view Hi Def signals over RF cable I don't think. You need a minimum of Component (3 cables with Red, Green and Blue colour stickers) for the amount of data. You would then likely need a second Sky box to watch Hi Def on the second TV.

Another problem with LCDs is that they generally don't like poor signals and Sports are one of the culprits of having a poor signal unless they are in Hi Def.

What is the main tv ? If you are dead set on getting an LCD for Hi Def, maybe it would be worth buying an LCD as the main TV and use your current one as the second as it will work on an RF feed quite happily.

Only a suggestion mind ! Anyone else got an opinion on this ?