HDTV CRTs in the UK?

marklam

Standard Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any guesses when/whether (Sky-compatible) hi-def CRT sets will be available in the UK?

I just don't believe that an LCD set on a cabinet would last 5 minutes with two sticky, building-block-wielding, TV-pushing pre-schoolers on the go.

Mark.

I have a JVC 36" CRT and it apparently can take the HD signal. The 32" JVC can also do this. Have a look on the forums for the JVC sets mate. :clap:

Samsung are releasing new slimline HDTV TV's mid-2005.

norrishawk said:
I have a JVC 36" CRT and it apparently can take the HD signal. The 32" JVC can also do this. Have a look on the forums for the JVC sets mate. :clap:

I've got the 36" JVC too, but it won't be Sky HD compatible, as it only does High-Def through component. :(

Hi

Does anyone know if the slim Samungs wil be availabe in the UK? I brought up the subject of hi-def CRTs. The replies I got were about manufacturers not bothering as they want to phase out CRT and move towards flat panel display technology. I hope they are all wrong. I would like to see a Tosh Picture Frame 4 hi-def set sometime next year. Their SD PF2 & 3 are amazing.

Wil

Samsungs will be available in the UK this year hopefully, and cost under a grand.

broona said:
I've got the 36" JVC too, but it won't be Sky HD compatible, as it only does High-Def through component. :(

Yeah I got my 28" before the announcement was made...wasn't happy but then again I'll be able to plug my PC in :)

This is interesting. I'm currently looking around for a good 16:9 CRT (old 4:3 has just expired) and stuff I've read says 'buy HDTV ready' but I can only find the JVCs. Are there any others out there at all?

If not, will there ever be (or will all the HDTV kit be LCD/plasma)?

Trying to decide whether to struggle on with temporary 14" (yuk.....) and wait for a HDTV CRT (£1,000.00 budget) or just give up and get a good digital CRT like the Panasonic TX32DTX40.....on the basis that HDTV will be subscription anyway, is some time away in reality and I should just accept that I ain't got the very best when HDTV arrives.

:lease:

Advice please!

David V

As far as I've seen only the JVCs will accept any sort of hi-def input via it's component inputs, and it's only 1080i, not 720p.

This is fine for connecting a computer or something like DVHS (I assume) but basically as it stands only some rear projection TVs and flat panels (lcd, plasma) have the necessary digital inputs...either HDMI or DVI with HDCP...for Sky.

If you have no HDTV stuff at the moment, find the cheapest best DTV you can and save them pennies for a flat panel with the necessary inputs :) And make sure the resolution of the panel is at least 1024x768...some panels accept HDTV signals but are only something like 848x480 which is SDTV resolution.

Thanks for that. Looks like I'll get the Panasonic then (although £750.00 isn't cheap, its less expensive than other options!) as it was What Hi-Fi's best digital TV in 2004.

DV

No probs....check around on Kelkoo or similar...my JVC HV-28D40 was around £550 online.

Mmmm. I looked at that model, and the 32 inch brother to it which is 'HD ready/monitor'. That's what promted my original post.

I get the feeling that I'm better off just going for the Panasonic for the foreseable future as the 32 inch JVC needs another box to recieve HD, when it arrives, at whatever cost etc etc whereas the Panasonic is (by all accounts) the best digital CRT (according the What Hi-Fi anyway).

I'm in danger of getting confused......! :)

DaveV

DJV said:
Thanks for that. Looks like I'll get the Panasonic then (although £750.00 isn't cheap, its less expensive than other options!) as it was What Hi-Fi's best digital TV in 2004.

DV
Hmm same mag that went Viera daft. If you have £1k to spend what not hang off a while and get the Toshiba DLP screen which is fully HD ready, I'm sure you get them for less than £1500. I'd have one by now or the Sagem 46" but the missus thinks they are too big. However they dont stick out as far as a 32" CRT.

I think Home Cinema Choice are better for more independent views as What Hi-Fi? do seem to get a bit brand loyal....I mean how many Denons won in this years awards !! HCC also actually test the stuff, get them setup correctly etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom