1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV CRT sets to take off in Europe next.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Wayne Moule, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Seems quite obvious to me anyway.

It's on the BBC Technology page.

The article quotes interestingly that HDTV CRT sets will be made for a third of the cost of Flat screens and account for the bulk of sales.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Think we'll find flat screens will soon be made for a third of the cost they are right now.
    Flat screens are the way to go, it's not just technology it's the lifestyle / fashion choice.
    Can't see any future for large CRTs myself. :cool:

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's why I found the article a bit strange quoting HD CRT sets when LCD/Plasma seems to be taking off.

I can see HD CRT sets still being cheaper perhaps than LCD/Plasma, but where are they and how easy is it to adapt a SD CRT to a CRT HDTV?

These could be about to appear, but I keep reading articles about new bigger LCD/Plasma production plants springing up in the near future.

They're leaving it late, or do they want us to buy dearer LCD and Plasma sets to give them a kick start?

:confused:

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Some CRTs already in shops such as JVC HV-28D40 / HV-32D40 are 1080i ( HD1125i ) compatible but they have no HDMI / DVI inputs.
    I think when Sky start marketing HD with the new Pace box, the move to flat panel tvs with HDMI inputs will be the way to go. Just can't see anybody wanting bulky CRTs if they are upgrading to HD. We should be having 12ms or 8ms response times with LCDs soon enough to remove any complaints about PQ, coupled with the move to LED backlighting, HD compatible LCDs will be the king.

Can't see plasmas being pushed because LCDs are so much cheaper to make.

The comment in the article that " some programmes are starting to be made in HD " is a bit out of date, quite a few programmes have been recorded in HD for a while to facilitate their sale to HD broadcasters.
    :cool:

5. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's so much more money to be made from flat panels that it's hard to see manufacturers pushing CRTs too heavily. Besides, current CRT HDTVs cannot display 720p, which is not ideal given that 720p is the format recommended by the EBU.

6. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Shensuke

Shensuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't be fooled by the marketing.

CRT sets like the Sony Hi-Scan accept a 720p signal, but they internally convert it to 480p, 540p, or 1080i (I think this is user selectable on some sets). So you never get to see the full resolution of 720p broadcasts.

For more info, try doing a Google search on '540p'.

9. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can something that can display 1080i not display 720p? It is like saying my monitor can display 1600x1200 but not 1024x768.

10. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There are no sets that downconvert 720p to 480p or 540p. Some sets do not display 720p natively so they just convert it to 1080i.

11. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the (i) in 1080i means it's interlaced.

1080i draws 540 lines per refresh.
    720p draws 720 lines per refresh.

It's more expensive to build a 720p CRT HDTV set than an 1080i one due to the higher horizontal scan rate. In a bid to make HDTVs more affordable for consumers, 720p is rarely if ever supported.

Yes, your monitor can display 1600 x 1200 progressive, but the key difference between a PC monitor and a family TV set is the size. There's a lot more real estate to cover on a 34" HDTV set, and at higher resolutions manufacturing costs significantly increase. That's my understanding of it anyway.

12. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I get it now.

I had a look a some of the CRT HDTV sets available online and the typical spec is:

1080i is Displayed As: 1080i
    720p is Displayed As: 1080i
    NTSC is Displayed As: 1080i
    Or NTSC is Displayed As: 540p

It's a pity that you can't choose to display 720p as 540p as it would preserve more of the vertical resolution.

13. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience comparing 720 displayed as 1080 on a crt with a similar sized plasma displaying 720 is that the crt still looks better and 1080 on the crt looks better than both. :)

Also, HD crts sell well here in America because they offer the best price for quality. If people in Europe would generally stay below say a 36 inch TV then the HD crts are the way to go unless they wish to make a considerably more expensive fashion statement. :)

14. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Already most UK electronics stores are marginalising CRTs. The ratio of displayed models is about 75% flat panels to 25% CRTs, despite the price difference (though flat panel prices are plummeting).

Given that UK HDTV isn't due to launch until 2006, and will take a couple years to get going, it's hard to see CRTs making a comeback, but you never know. Obviously standard-def CRTs will continue to be made for several more years, and maybe HDTV capability will be added. But the early adopters of European HDTV will be viewing on plasma/LCD/DLP etc, and when their friends see it, they will want their own flat panels.

In the end it's not so much about picture quality but what the average consumers wants, and that's a flat panel. Most people would would buy one if they could afford it. The picture quality can be very good: I've seen PAL DVDs on high-def plasmas and LCDs that looked better than CRT. Admittedly the picture quality can be awful on some models, especially on some low-end SD panels, but the idea is to try before you buy.;)

15. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Maybe the reason the BBC thinks crt tv's are going to take a large share of the hdtv market is because their broadcast standard is going to be 1080i. My reasoning being that crt's can't display 780p. Is that so? (I'll settle for that!) :smashin:

16. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, as every make and model is unique, but it appears overwhelming to me that typical LCDs are pretty lousy compared to crt and plasma, and crt is best overall when comparing near identical sizes. This is all with HD content.

17. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some can show 720P as it is without converting to 1080.

18. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of the early ultra-expensive models could. Today's models all convert to 1080i.

19. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought plasmas were cheaper to make, hense the price difference in the shops.

Is this no longer the case.

20. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Where or when did they announce this?

Steve

21. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Dutch, I think you misread my post. I was theorizing why the BBC supposes that crt sets will make up a large number of hdtv's sold, thinking -maybe- the reason is because they are going to broadcast 1080i.

22. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I really hope they aren't going to go with 1080i. Interlaced transmissions have been around for 60-70 years and it's time we saw the end of them. 1080p using new codecs shouldn't be a problem for HD satellite transmissions in a few years time.

Steve

23. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Exactly-in a few years time. Everyone I know who has seen 1080i hdtv has been very impressed. It's better than anything we have now and from what I understand, it's the preferred method for watching movies too.