Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HDTV CRT in Europe? big NO?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Frankeh, May 28, 2005.

1. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. tigertimtim

tigertimtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I am looking out for a CRT thats hdtv , there available in the USA ,Canada and Asia , theres a Samsung slim fit model available in the USA thats going to be released in Germany in autumn price around £630 (32 inch) which would be ideal, problem is Samsung in the UK dont even know about this model, you could try emailing them, i would rather buy a CRT for high def than a LCD or Plasma but no ones releasing them in the UK

3. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That Samsung looks very coarse (thick lines) at the screens outer edge. In the middle it is no different than any other typical HD crt and at the edge it is as I've described; odd, considering that their web site claimes a "Finer Pixel Dot Pitch."

Cool design though, and very noticeably lighter than a normal crt. Fairly expensive at around $900 with Sony having a super fine pitch model, at $200 more, that gives a much better picture.

4. tigertimtim

tigertimtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    At $1100 (£750 ish?) that would still be an absolute bargain in the UK for a high def screen, they would sell like hotcakes!

5. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I would think they would be available there once your HD services start. It may even be a little cheaper if it doesn't include an ota tuner and cable card slot like the American model.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Slap on EU import tariffs and VAT (Sales taxes) then US prices and UK/EU prices become very close:(

When I first looked into HD CRT's last year they seemed only able to handle 1080i and 480p inputs, is this still the case or are they now capable of taking 720p and scaling to suite the displays capabilities?

7. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

All of our HD crts take 720 and scale it to 1080. Even the older ones did. Most also do 480P which is nice for DVDs. In fact, I've never heard of, or seen one, that didin't. Most do a nice job of it too.

Sorry about the prices as I know you guys get it in the rear on that account.

By the way, I like your sig; "cuckoo bananas in charge" and then mentioning North Korea and Iran." Funny stuff.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Ah right, the panasonic website I had looked at only listed 480p and 1080i via component input which seemed limited especially if the internal digital tuners were geared up for receiving ota broadcasts some of which would have to be 720p.
    Thanks for the clarification:)

As for my sig it's the imortal words of Homer J Simpson, burst out laughing when he came out with that little gem:)

9. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045

the samsung tv is available in the uk ive seen it advertised on the internet for £490 for the 32" it supposed to retail at £599 in the shops :thumbsup:

10. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that samsung tv, is it compatible with 720p ?

11. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
  12. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    sorry the link dont seem to work but go to www.be-direct.co.uk and put in model no of the tv ws32z308p

13. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045

and sorry click more info

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The WS32Z308P looks like one of the new short neck CRT's and not actually capable of displaying High Def resolutions even though some EU retailer websites do claim HD capability.
    You've got to be sceptical on specs though when a UK dealer is offering a TV that the official UK manufacturers site doesn't even list:)

Still this sort of product will certainly shake up the industry and even acelerate the fall in prices of flat panel technologies:)

Found it on the Samsung German website...
    Lists 1080i; 576P; 480P; 576i resolutions so once again the question of native 720p seems to be in question unless of course your HD STB can scale a source to whatever resolution your display is capable of.
    No indication of DVI or HDMI though unless the google translation is playing up.

15. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    it hasnt got hdmi or dvi its got componant it is hidef though i work for sony and every month we get a mag that is only sent to retailers it was listed in there with a few pictures from all sides it does look quite a nice set :thumbsup:

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Still begs the question why the Samsung UK site doesn't acknowledge it unless they are going to bring an updated version to the UK fairly soon which supports HDCP on HDMI or DVI. Strange the the German model doesn't when it's main PAY broadcaster "Premiere" have announced HDCP will be required or perhaps like SKY they too are back peddling:)

Being able to slap the HD Ready sticker onto the TV would in my mind convince far more people of it's viability when stacked against the LCD's and Plasmas that are quickly rushing to use that method of consumer identification.

17. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but maybe not in the way you think. It upscales to 1080i. No native 720p. Ours has only 480p, as far as I know.

18. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know there is no native 720p capable crt on the market, at least not a widely avaiable one.

Our HD recievers can scale to 1080i or 720. I'm sure yours will have that same option.

19. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It may be out of their hands when it comes to protected content since they don't own it. Ultimately, I think it is up to the content owners to decide what will be required. In Europe there's no reason not to go with hdcp right away, or at least after a short period, since HD broadcasts is will just be starting.

20. Frankeh

Frankeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a big difference between 720p and 1080i? I know they are the same but 720p is better for things in motion (games, movies) and 1080i is better for things like pictures.. but is there a big difference between 720p and 1080i for a game for example?

PS: Someone has any experience with this CRT which has the abillity for 1080i?

--> http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HV-32D40BK&catid=100058&lid=

21. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Even considering the benefits of progressive I prefer 1080i; it is overall visually more impressive.

I don't do any gaming so I can't help you there.

Also, movies are not usually included in content where 720p should be used. All the movie channels over here are 1080i. 720p is normally touted for sports. Even there I still think 1080i is a better overall HD experience.

22. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I have the 28D40 and like the 1080i mode though I have to set it to 1776x1000i so I don't get so much overscan on the PC :) Never tried it with games, though obviously you'd have to make sure your games support whatever mode you're using. I also have a few hi def films and they look v nice.

23. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045

i went into currys today they had the set on display picture was quite good :eek: it had the high def badge on the set it self they had a dvd running through scart £649 i think the price was

24. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Currys are selling a TV that the UK Samsung site has no information on?
    Bizarre but not the first time a companies website was not totally upto date:)

Was it the official HD Ready label or a Currys sourced label?

25. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045

it had the hd on the tv itself printed on the casing top right hand corner also 1080i as well,i work for sony and our home page is well out of date as well :rolleyes:

26. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    So does the Samsung SlimFit HDTV have a internal scaler so any 720p source is upscaled to 1080i or does the source need to scale to 1080i?

Also, is there any loss of quality of a 720p source when upscaled to 1080i?

kourosh, do you have any info whether the Euro version of the Samsung has the HDMI connection like its US counterpart?

I'm planning on buying a HDTV in early December to compliment the Xbox360 :smashin: which displays all games at a base resolution of 720p and I also think the console will have a HDMI cable.

27. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
  28. mcgetta

mcgetta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :confused: Just called Currys to order this set - getting ahead of myself without seeing it. They stated that they have it on 2/3rds of their systems for ordering - the missing third being the system that mirrors their web-ordering service so they cannot take orders at this time even though the guy on the phone could see a couple of units in stock. Price will be 599.
    Also received an order from BE-Direct stating that they do not have it in stock, it could take a couple of weeks.
    Probably best idea would be to head to a store and
    a) see the PQ for myself
    b) check on availability

29. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

c) Make sure it is officially HD Ready.

Granted there will be uses for a non HD Ready spec display but you are certainly covering all basis at least for the next few years by going with the TV which has the right to carry that label.
    Unless you have a use for it's HD capabilites right now then waiting a while for updated models from Samsung or what is sure to be a flood of other HD CRT's from other manufacturers is perhaps a better option.

30. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045

im not sure mate i didnt bother asking the sales staff cause they never know what they are talking about but i did look an the back of the set but im afraid its component :rolleyes: but well worth the look :thumbsup: