1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV Clips and Multimedia PC - s l o w

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by chaplic, Jul 26, 2005.

1. chaplic

chaplic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a little shuttle PC - 512MB RAM, Celeron 2.4Ghz Processor, Radeon 9200 64MB(cheapest I could get with DVI) and a TV card hooked up to a Sagem Axium telly.

I am struggling to playback hi definition files with acceptable performance. Some will play ok, most are j-i-t-t-e-r-y especially with sound breaking up. Messed around with codecs tills come come home with only marginal improvement. Recording 'High Quality MPEG2' with the PVR software produces glitchy playback too.

Where is my weak link - crappy video card ? Surely the CPU and system bus is fast enough?

2. Tiesto

Tiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not your graphics card m8 , more likely to be your using a 32 bit processor and a bit short on ddr ram :)

I'm using 32 bit 2800 + athlon chip and a radeon 9800 pro card and its the same here .
    After reading up and recommendations think we need at least a 64 bit and more Ram. :D

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Are these MPEG2, WMV, MPEG4, DivX HD files? What software are you replaying them with.

I've found that there is a major performance difference with different software players. Some are much better than others at replaying HD MPEG2 for example. The Elecard Moonlight MPEG2 player works pretty well - as does VLC. Other software is far less good in my experience.

(My 2.8 Athlon with 512Mb of DDR RAM and a 256Mb Radeon 9600 Pro copes OK with film stuff that doesn't require any clever de-interlacing, but struggles a bit to de-interlace video stuff)

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    its not your ram, its your celeron

5. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    It's a combination of all 3 components. I had a 2.4ghz cel. Upgrading the ram to 1 gig and a 3.06ghz HT CPU made all the difference along with a 256MB graphics card... blah de blah

6. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If it's any help, HD runs fine on my system which is 1gig ram, and an 3200 athlon 64, graphics card dosn't make much of a difference in most models around today. Specs on Microsofts web for HD is 3gig processor and min 512mb ram.

7. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As said before try different software players. I noticed big differences in playback between WMP10, MediaPlayerClassic VideoLanClient and WinDVD7.

512MB RAM is enough when you're not using any other big apps in the background.

I use HD on 2 systems. 1. Laptop P4 3.04GHz 512MB RAM Radeon 9000.
    2. Athlon XP-M at 2.35GHz 1GB RAM Geforce 6800LE

The only files they have trouble with are 1080i DivX/Xvid/mpeg4 files. 1080p Mpeg2 can be jerky depending on bitrate.

So if you get a fast CPU you don't really needt to update the GPU.
    Or if you get a VGA card that supports hardware decoding you don't need a CPU upgrade. If you go for a new GPU I would wait for the upgrade of the Geforce 6600, probably will be called 7600. Because the new 7x00 series support H264 or so codec. Current CPU's aren't fast enough to decode HD files/streams smoothly that make use of it.

8. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's mostly your CPU. My system has a 3GHz Pentium and on my system I can view and listen to all the demo's.

My kids system has a Celeron 2GHz with otherwise the same specs and on his system you can't even see the image move while the sound is playing. No kidding! :D

HD stuff requires some real computing power, I'm afraid. Half a CPU won't do, unfortunately... :cool:

9. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I Run .TS files fine on my Celeron 2.4ghz Pentium and ATI 9250 gfx card. It doesnt work well with the wmv as that does need a faster CPU.

I actually had a prescott 3.0ghz cpu in my htpc originally but it was like a volcano in the small box and the fan had to go about twice as fast (and loud) just to cool it. Sold it on ebay and bought a celeron 2.4, have been in silent bliss ever since :)

Personally I would wait for the graphics cards to come along that decode MPEG2 and WMVHD files on chip. Hopefully a passive version will come along as I dont even touch games on my htpc

10. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I did the oposite to you, had a 2.4ghz cel and brought a 3.06 HT CPU. No way should it be that noisy mine is a quite as a mouse. One of the new blue neon fans helps a lot

11. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Noise is very subjective. What one finds quiet another one might think it's loud.

Same goes for recommending (case)fans.
    Then you will also have to consider quality of other things like case, PSU and HD's.

12. The Fatty

The Fatty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    even tho this threads been quiet for a while i thought id post anyway :)

i have a AMD 2800XP o/c to 3000Xp (iirc thats just over 2.1ghz), 1x256/1x512 ddr pc3200 ram, nvidia 9200, creative live! platinum 5.1 sound card and a skystar 2 dvb card. im managing to watch all the DVB-S streams without any trouble at all. The premeir world HD channels and sky's HD channels are in DVB-S2 so the skystar 2 wont even find a signal on them, but the s1's work fine...

13. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    A 7300GS (£25 on ebay) will allow pretty much any processor to play 720p60 or 1080i30 MPEG2, if you get the Nvidia decoders or Powerdvd7. The CPU goes almost idle with either (10% with powerdvd playing a 15mbit file).

H264 is a little bit harder, and when all the codec issues are sorted you'll probably need a better card than the 7300GS. 10mbit h264 is probably possible on your machine, but 20mbit (BBC transmissions) won't be.

14. Gae

Gae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm running a 1.8 GHz Athlon with 512 ram and the Geforce FX 5500 32 bit 128 MB graphics card. I can run all 720 HD WMVHD,Quicktime and DIVX content perfectly smoothly in the various media players but VLC and sometimes Zoom player work best when all others fail. I've even managed to play 1080 clips but they are jerky and the sound breaks up. I guess I've just been lucky that all the parts have worked well together for 720.

Gae

15. peacemf

peacemf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got a 2.8GHZ laptop with 1gb ram, 512MB Geforce5600....
    my laptop only slows down for a few videos...
    some of the imax stuff...
    its all about the ram and CPU :)