1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV and Sky EPG

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tim13, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Tim13

Tim13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Article here on Digital Spy got me thinking - where will Sky put High Definition channels in the EPG when the service launches? Will Sky place tkem next to their standard definition equivalents or will they introduce a separate High Defiition section or even a separate High Definition EPG?

If I were Sky. I'd probably place them separately so that viewers can scroll up and down through High Defintion channels without having to go back to nasty standard definition. :) This would then be a selling point to content providers and may encourage more channels to migrate to HD, by giving advertisers access to the significant spending power of the early adopter audience!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Whether SD is "nasty" really has a lot to do with who is paying the bills :D

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I would imagine it is possible to have an HD-only EPG where the HD versions of SD channels replace the SD versions on the same EPG numbers on HD receivers, and remain invisible to SD viewers who have the SD variant mapped to the same numbers?

This would be a bit like the mapping of BBC One and ITV regions to 101 and 103?

(Think of it as an HD region...)

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    but if Sky One for example, is only a partial simulcast of the SD version, then I'd still need access to the SD version (unless its a mix of HD and SD on the same channel, but I would hope they'd avoid that as too confusing)

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would expect the HD channels to have it's own seperate listing which as mentioned would probably not be seen by standard digiboxes although SKY may include it as a promotional tool just as non-subscription listings appear now.

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd hope for the HD service they come up with something better for the EPG than the current system - preferably more like you get on Freeview boxes where you can call up Now & Next for a number of channels while the programme you're watching is shown either in a small window, in the background, or even just as audio only.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    In hindsight the original SKY+ EPG and how it integrates with dual tuners was not the huge advance it could have been but I doubt we will see any major changes to the system.

From a personal view only I don't see the need to tie up a tuner to show a PIP when viewing EPG data and while more effective caching of the EPG transponder data would allow "i" information without leaving the main channel is it really that much of an issue after all you know it will bring it's own unique sets of bugs and user problems with it:)

8. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It seems as if Sky1 HD may be a simulcast of present Sky1 - perhaps Sky will follow the German model of Pro7 HD and Sat1 HD who will have simulcast channels in hi-def. All non hi-def material will be upconverted for the HDTV channel, and of course native HD will go out as such. Bit like my DVD player which upconverts standard DVD nicely....

H

9. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I'd be very surprised if Sky One was different in HD and SD schedule terms. They'd have to call it something else other than Sky One if this were the case surely?

I'd expect Sky One HD to be broadcast just like the US HD channels. HD programmes in HD, 16:9 SD shows upconverted to 16:9 HD, 4:3 SD programmes pilllarboxed and upconverted to 16:9 HD (there are no 4:3 HD modes). Content simulcast on both.

If they were to not simulcast they may have rights issues if they showed HD and SD versions of shows at different times. (As this would count as two showings not one - as would be the case with a simulcast)