1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDTV and Projector...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jroz, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys...as i said before the cable guy is coming...well he came and he left and my projector shows a picture but its no High Definition picture hah. It just shows a gray picture very pixelized...so theres no color..now my projector said its HDTV compatible and it has RGB cables for it, but does not have a dvi jack. Since it is compatible what does this mean..can i use my HDTV comcast reciever to watch it, or do i need something else or different. please let me know if anyone knows, yes i know im in the USA..but my question may be universally answered :) i'm hoping...

thanks
    Jason

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    This is predominantly a UK forum - and we don't have HD cable in the UK yet.

However - here are some questions which might help you out.

1. What make and model is your projector. Is it a 1280x720 or higher resolution device?
    2. Does your Comcast HD cable receiver have HD component outputs (Y, Pb, Pr or Cb, Cr) as three RCA phonos?
    3. Does your projector have component HD inputs?
    4. If your projector doesn't have component HD inputs, what non-composite, non-s-video inputs does it have? VGA-15 RGB, BNC RGB etc.?
    5. Does your Comcast HD receiver have menus to select whether the component outputs are HD (1080i/720p) , Progressive SD (480p) or Interlaced SD (480i)? Which mode is it in if it does have these options?
    6. Is your projector currently connected using Composite or S-video? If so then these are standard def only connections - and S-video if incorrectly used can be B&W.

3. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Philips bSure SV2 projector..here is a link of its compatible hdtv signals.. http://www.projectorcentral.com/Philips-bSure_SV2.htm

2.it has all component outputs its a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD reciever with built in DVR that works in high-def

3. My projector has RGB cables in them. Ive tested them with using a dvd player with rgb component cables and it worked fine.

5. the picture shows that it is 480i which says is compatible according to the spec sheet on that link

6. my projector was connected with the yellow video cord using the rca jacks and just went into the standard cable box. IT was under Video, not svideo or component.

4. Jroz

Jroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got it workin!....just had to setup the cable box to a different format...i guess the one selected was not for my projector..it came in black..now its crystal clear....looks amazing

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Glad you are having success.

However I hate to disappoint you - but your projector is 800x600 4:3 according to your link. This means it will be displaying 16:9 video in 800x450 letterbox resolution (roughly the same as a standard definition 42" plasma). This is much lower resolution than 1280x720 (720p) or 1920x1080 (1080i)

It will no doubt look better than regular TV if you are using RGB or component connection - and even using regular composite (single yellow RCA) or S-video (4 pin mini-din) connection the HD source downconverted to SD should still look great - and better than regular analogue cable or OTA NTSC.