HDTV and Panasonic Plasma

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by VistaVision, Jun 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. VistaVision

VistaVision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hoping to upgrade to a 6 series 42" Panasonic plasma in the next few weeks. Can anyone inform me whether these will support the HDTV service announced by Sky that will be starting in a couple of years? I don't want to splash out on a plasma tv, only to find in a few years that it won't be able to show the new HDTV service.
    Many thanks

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,669
    Yes it will be fine, however bear in mind Sky are already broadcasting more lines than the SD displays can show , if you want to get the best out of the current SD material and also hidef when it comes along then seriously consider getting a HD panel i.e. TH42PHD6, it might be a bit more but it's well worth it!

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Euro 1080 works fine on a series 4 Panasonic plasma I use.

4. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thing is if you get a hd panel it's still not true hidef.

Until 1920x1080 large screens are available you may as well go cheapest option. My sd plasma does a fine job of displaying 1080i. I know I'm losing info, but the image I get is absolutely fantastic.

I tend to 'upgrade' every 4 yrs. I'll let sky get their hidef up and running then upgrade 2 yrs after that.

5. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    So are you going to get a 'better' picture from a 1080i feed on a sd plasma than a 480p feed ?? assuming the sd panel is 480 pixels high ??

Jon

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Jont,

Going by what I've read on the US forums where they've had a few years to try this test out, a 1080i picture will look better on an HD plasma than on an SD plasma - 768 lines against 480. As RTFM and Deron say though, it still produces an excellent picture on a 480 line screen. Roll on those 1080 line plasmas and LCDs. :)

Steve

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Sorry Steve but that's not what I was asking ... if you only have 480 pixels SD does it matter what you feed it in terms of the pic quality it can display ?

Obviously a 768 pixel HD is going to display a better pic from a 1080 source than a 480 SD ...

8. rtownend

rtownend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deron,

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

I've just bought a Panasonic TH-42PE30 on something of a whim! Most unlike me, I normally do enormous amounts of research before I buy anything like this, but my wife said "that's nice, it would be nice to have one of those" so before she could change her mind........ :)

However, since then I've been doing retrospective research, never a good thing, and was begining to wonder whether I'd done the right thing with hidef not too far away, and my set not future proofed as far as the magazines are concerned being "only" 852x480. But from what you say, none of the current sets are.

I'll probably be following suit and looking to upgrade once hidef is established. Is the 1920x1080 true hidef resolution? If it is, then I'll be happy with my set for the time being (it really is a great picture) and consider further when they become available.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO SD plasma panels are perfectly adequate for the moment. There's still a big price differential between SD & HD & with such limited HD material available now.....

:smoke:

10. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Richard
    Sorry to increase the post purchase pain but some plasmas (Pana 50"and Pioneer) and the Sagem DLP (and forthcoming DLPs from Thomson and Samsung ) have a higher resolution (1280 x 720 ).
    This is reckoned to be the minimum for Hidef though certainly a Hidef picture at lower res seems to look better than SD.
    1920 x 1080 res TVs are only just coming in to the USA courtesy of Samsung.
    Overall though I still think HD will look very good on your new TV.
    Hope you enjoy it.
    Alan