1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdtv and my lg screen

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gino555, May 2, 2005.

1. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i have a lg plasma screen mz42pz45 but the picture quality is poor with my sky + when sky's new hd service is launched will it improve the definiation of my screen (that is not hd compatable) or is there a way of making the screen hd compatable?

thanks
    gino555

2. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    some one throw me a bone!!!!!!!!!!

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even none HD compatible displays will notice an improvemnt in the picture quality, the LG's don't get much praise on these forums and it is more of a 'budget' plasma, but HD should look pretty good on it imho :smashin:

www.loadsofleads.com coming soon

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    Why is it I sometimes get the impression that people think that Sky is suddenly going to switch to HDTV overnight and all channels will be affected. The facts are, as far we know them, that there will be a few premium rate channels which can be received, after customers have purchased a new Sky box. I would imagine a service including USA series, National Geographic stuff and, if you want to pay even more, sport and films. The main channels, BBC,ITV have no immediate plans to transmit their current full range of programmes in HDTV until after the analog switch-off. I imagine the cable channels will find a way of fitting in a limited service somewhere as well.

What is becoming apparent is that digital sets, be they LCD or Plasma, are far more critical when it comes to dodgy signal quality. What the public seem to want is more and more channels so the less popular ones are processed and compressed to fit into the already over stetched bandwidth available to satellite and cable. Not so much of a problem with CRT tvs, but LCDs and Plasmas expose the weakness. The quality is there at source, in the studio, but it gets lost along the way. Sad thing is that people are always going to want quantity over quality and who can blame the those companies that try to meet the public need.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Exactly.
    For the next few years High Def (from SKY) will by no means be a mainstream replacement for the current SD service and as a upgrade for people not happy with the PQ on SD it will be very expensive and lacking a hundred or so channels including the terrestrial ones.

6. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks a lot people it is a shame a lot quality is lost as they are just putting crap channels on who actually watches wine tv,, so it is not really worth me suscribing to hdtv? i will just have to put up with crap quality!!!!!!!!!

thanks once more

7. Quickbeam

Quickbeam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fairness to Sky, though, the vast bulk of its original programming is football, and Sky has indicated that all Premiership games will be shot in HDTV. If you add the multiple movie channels and the Sky One HD (or similar) channel that carries US imports in HDTV format, then it becomes clear that a large amount of Sky's current output will be available in HDTV.

Sky has already indicated that sport and movies will be included in the basic HD package (and there is only one package). If there were no sport or movies in the package, what would you have left?;)

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY is fairly open platform even though some people still like to scream "monopoly" at every opportunity:)
    The majority of channels you can pick up with your digibox are not owned by SKY and their only involvement is doing a deal to include them in a subscription package and in the FTA channels case they only get an EPG slot.
    The "cheapness" of digital satellite makes niche channels quite viable although I do agree that some channels on Dsat just make no sense:)

Should you subscribe to HD?
    Well the source material will be head and shoulders over SD (even SKY movies) and that should translate to a much improved picture on your LG however if SKY do use HDMI with HDCP then your Plasma will have problems unless there is cheap way to convert and strip the content protection for use with component or vga.
    Time will tell so there really is nothing to do until firm details emerge unless you choose to spend serious money on a scaler/de-interlace which can work wonders with the SKY RGB output.

9. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +513
    Please don't think I'm knocking Sky for taking the lead on HDTV in the UK. I am looking forward to HD programmes from any source, but my point was that there are contributors to these forums that possibly have a high expectation of what is,initially, going to be delivered. I am one of those sad people who find football of no interest at all. I still go to the cinema or watch movies on DVD so I can see them well before they reach Sky. I fear that in the early days we will have to pay a high price for HD broadcasts. I would agree that there might be a lot of football, although the number of channels will be limited, not the whole spectrum of Sky Sports. There will probably be a high premium put on big matches and the highest number of viewers are going to be in pubs with big screens. As far as US entertainment programs go why would anyone want to watch a show simply because it is HD when they never watched it anyway in SD. The content of the program won't improve!. In spite of this I think it makes sense to buy a set with all the right connections in order to be prepared for HDTV in any form whether it comes from Sky,cable or bottled in jam jars...

10. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD effect is such that it causes people to watch things that they may not be interested in in the first place. Was watching today a nature thing on scorpions on Discovery HD and though it was interesting it was so amazingly captivating and stunning in HD.

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I totally agree, if you don't like footy, US movies and US general entertainment then for the next few years HD will have very little for you. In effect HD is mirrroring SKY's original launch targetting a demographic who were not happy with the offerings of the terrestrial channels.
    In time thanks to the hard work and huge investment of SKY other channels including the traditional ones will support HD on Dsat, cable and eventually DTT but at this time there is no reason for them to do so.

In this regard it may not sound financial sense to pay a premium for a HD display if you don't intend to watch HD for a couple of years, the technology is going to advance hugely and the price drop quite considerably.