1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hds1

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Rasczak, Apr 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Hi,

I have read through the threads comparing TIVO to SKY+ but wondered what everyone's opinion was on the JVC HDS1 Hard drive/SVHS recorder? I was thinking of getting one but is it better to go for TIVO/SKY+ and a seperate SVHS player?

Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Looks an interesting piece of kit as long as you intend to make use of the s-vhs hardware. Hard to make a reasonable judgement since I couldn't find a price for the unit and since the JVC has no daily TV updates (TIVO) or dynamic EPG (SKY+) it is just a dumb hard drive recorder and the price needs to reflect this. That also means no monthly subscription and if you are happy with setting a VCR (We all were once) then having to rely on newspaper TV listings etc and your own memory won't be a bad thing.

Certainly a unit I would want to see in action before purchasing if only to see how the encoding and decoding of the source material turned out.

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    There was a review in last Septembers Home Cinema Choice. Seems an odd (and very expensive) beast to me. Only price I have seen is UK £999 (I have not bothered to look very hard though). but this looks crazy to me.

Seems odd to mix new with old tech like this, but that may be just what some people want I guess.

Now if it had two free to air digital tuners and potential for reveiving 5.1 broadcasts like the Sky + box and came with no subsciption I would think about that kind of money, even if it did not have the sophisticated software of a subscription box.

I presume it has an analogue tuner, it certainly does not have a digital one. Again this kit seems to be looking backwards rather than forwards.

I presume to record from a digital signal (like the Tivo and Sky+ boxes do in different ways) you would need a separate digi box and you would have to set up the timer manually on that as well when you recorded. Frankly for that money I could not be asked. Thats one of the reasons I have stopped time shifting with digital TV and a VCR.

It gives 14 hours recording at its highest quality, a bigger HD would be nice for a cool 1K as well.

By the way the review said that JVC had plans for releasing other HD kit this year, I have heard of nothing since but have not really been paying attention.

Does anyone here know of any other possible digital time shifting options in the offing?

4. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    ok guys i have one of these and have just about got the hang of using it.
    its encoding/decoding is good - source dependant of coarse
    a larger drive would be nice however i use in long play mostly (18.30hrs plus 1hr memory) seems enough for time shifting
    Not too noisy
    recording easy set timer on stb switch off and then press one button on hdd - there are other methods
    analogue tuner uhf+vhf (decoder out option)
    can record on hdd and play back on s-vhs at same time
    all recordings hdd+tape have thumbnail navigation
    upto 3hr 'live memory'
    not the best unit for channel surfers as theres a slight delay in picture processing on channel change and memory resets at this
    also display is 2 secs behind real time so remember this when viewing stb thro it (bit like using an **digi box !!)

points to note

must demo first
    read instruction book first and digest - before buying if poss
    i paid 750 - and would be happy to recommend retailler (my first machine had a problem on the svhs side and they brought a replacement out to me 2days later)
    too much to list so any questions plse email me and i'll do my best to help

gunslinger :p

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Bump

does anyone have anything to add to this, they are £380 now!

Can you put in a larger HD for instance?

6. pvr_uk

pvr_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HDS1 model has now been superceeded by the HDS4 which is still about £600 I think.

I'd also be interested in any upgrade info on either of these units as I'd add it to my web site.

regds,
    John

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    Hi-Spek were selling the last of the HM-HDS1s at a very good price. The HDD is customised so upgrades would be very tricky.

8. boooofb

boooofb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I come back with the famous question on how to perform a HDD upgrade on the JVC HDS1 model ???
    Does anyone today has found a working procedure and can explain it ??
    Thanks

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    It's not possible. The original 40Gb drive used in the HM-HDS1 is no longer available and the JVC replacement is an 80Gb drive that also requires a new BIOS chip in order to work but this still uses only 40Gb of the new drive.

10. speedbump

speedbump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GaryB (or anyone else who might be able to answer this):

I purchased an HM-HDS1 unit and wanted to back up (clone) the hard drive and use that in the unit so I wouldn't be SOL if/when the hard drive eventually died. I don't care about upgrading the amount it can store.

I tried using a sector-by-sector cloning program on 2 different drives, and both produced unbootable results when I placed them in the JVC.

From the various postings I have seen in this forum, it seems like the following:
    1) The space for the unit cannot be upgraded from 40 hours
    2) The hard drive model for the unit is specific to that unit

It seems that a replacement drive from JVC requires a BIOS chip upgrade and a newer 80GB drive. I'd like to avoid that, since I currently have a working hard drive available to clone. I wanted to follow the path of another forum member who said:

"I learned my lesson with the less reliable HMHDS1 and when I first got the HMHDS4, I removed the hard disk, cloned it, and have been using the cloned disc ever since without problem. "

The key point in their post was that they used "an identical drive to copy to". I also realize they did it for the HMHDS4, but I hope it works for the HMHDS1 too.

What I want to verify is, if I can get another Quantum lct20 40GB hard drive (the original for my unit), and clone my current drive to that, will it work?

I've had experience with hard drive security systems where the EEPROM contains the serial #, etc. for the original HD, so using even the same exact model won't work; but I see no reason for JVC to implement that here. Though I also couldn't see why any IDE hard drive with a sector cloned copy of the original wouldn't work (and I was wrong about that).

Before I spend money on getting the drive, I wanted to know from people who have done this whether the unit only recognizes that specific drive model.

Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas! (at least it still is here in the States).

11. Christianc

Christianc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I am one of these unlucky ones that purchased a HM-HDS1.
    I have already changed my HDD 2 times and now the third one have start "clicking". Now to my question, is there any way to remove/disable the HDD and still got the S-VHS to operate?
    I have tried to remove the HDD , but when I power it up, the blue light flashes and then it shut down.

regards

Christian

12. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    sorry to bump this back into the lime light so to speak, but after having some issues with mine, and speaking to andy (who posted on a similar thread here) i now have a full clone from a drive, and know the drive model that works (you can still source them on ebay) and have a choice of 2 programs that can transfer the image back onto a replacement drive and it will then work fine.

mine was done a few months back and it all worked fine :)

so if you have one of these with this problem and want to try and fix it pm or email me and i'll see if i can point you in the right direction