1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDRW720 - Help, Opinions, Advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by woffle, Dec 17, 2004.

1. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

First post here having recently bought an HDRW720.

I've noticed from reading quite a few posts that there are some strong feelings against Philips products and that two regular posters in particular do not rate their players or recorders.

I don't hold a candle for any particular brand - My TV is toshiba, my VCR is JVC and my DVD player is a Pioneer. Had I read some of the stuff here, I would have seriously reconsidered my decision to buy the Philips but whats done is done, so I thought I would offer my (hopefully) unbiased opinion and also ask for opinions and a little help from those people that have also got one of these machines.

I bought the HDRW720 because:

1. I wanted a machine that could do the whole pause live tv thing.
    2. I wanted one that had a HD rather than just a DVDRW
    3. I'm an NTL rather than SKY subscriber, but I wanted the closest thing to SKY+ I could find (I can't put a dish on my house)
    4. The Guideplus looked as though even my wife could record stuff for me, rather than cocking things up as she does with the video.
    5. I liked the idea of writing tv shows to DVD

I don't care about:
    1. Editing recordings, either TV or Camcorder to any great extent, thought it would be nice to edit out the adverts (haven't tried it yet). I have a PC to do all my Camcorder stuff
    2. Fanatical Picture Quality. I've looked at the recordings at M2X and can see a slight difference in quality to live tv in some instances, but not enought to bother me in the slightest.

Setup was fairly straightforward, and I have successfully used the time buffer function (its great) and recorded using the Guideplus a couple of times. I have a couple of minor problems thought that I'd be interested to find if anyone else has had:

1. When downloading the channels for the guideplus, it gave them all the SKY channel numbers rather than NTL (e.g. Sky One was 106 rather than 140), so I had to manually edit them all (took about 30 minutes) - is this normal? I did tell it I had NTL and it controls the NTL box ok.

2. I can't seem to change channel in the Guideplus as it suggests I should be able to (by highlighting the channel and clicking OK) - it takes me back to the channel I was watching before I entered the guide.

3. I can't unlock the channel that shows in the top corner of the Guideplus screen so it shows the channel I have highlighted. The Lock symbol is there, but when I follow the instructions I get no Red option to unlock.

Anyway, apologies for the long post and thanks for reading it. I'd be really grateful if anyone could offer any help, opinions or advice regarding this machine.

I'll also continue to post my experiences with it as I go along.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got HDRW720 and now I dont know how I got along without it

I does the whooooooole pause live TV thing better than most (upto 6 hours compared to 30 mins on lot of other machines)

It's fair to say the switch to HD is enormous benefit (irrespective of which make/model)

I'm also NTL user & HDRW seemed closest I'd get to SKY+

It has all the editing feature i need (Chop out Leaders, Adverts and Trailers & choose preview frame) - HDRW then lets you choose which version (Original or Edit) to watch/burn to DVD - NOTE: If you delete the original, it will also delete the Edit version (Doesn't tell you this in the manual)

I have been delighted with recording quality - even at 2+

I also had to edit channel numbers (but i'm on analogue, so i expected to do this)

If you enter Guide+ by pressing the 'timer' button instead - the channel wont be locked (dunno why?)

3. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Jethro. I'll certainly try going into guide using Timer and see what happens then.

One thing I noticed playing around tonight which is a pain (and a bug/oversight I'm sure) is that if I want to record from right that moment, by pressing and holding record then it will only do so for 30 minutes - there is no way of extending this. If, however, you mark the whole programme/buffer by pressing Record briefly, you can then extend it by 30 minute intervals by pressing record again and again.

As I watch all my TV through the cable box, the buffer is never split as the machine can't tell when I change channels on the cable box.

This effectively means that if I want to record something I'm currently watching that lasts for longer than 30 minutes, I'll have to save the whole buffer rather than just the part I want - like I said, a pain.

Have you upgraded to firmware 2.6 by the way and if so, what does it add/fix?

4. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice on the Guide+ website previews;

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/

that aswell as the Blue (Home), Red (Record) & Yellow (channels) button, also show a Green "Watch" button - new update?

strangely enough, apart from the day i got it, i haven't pressed instant record - 95% of my recordings are programmed - and it seems to identify most channels/programs in the buffer (so i can usually mark the current program in the buffer) - maybe my viewing habits, but i've noticed it seems to identify terrestrial channels (1-5), even when i play them through decoder

but i'd be inclined to mark the program from the guide - even though it's started & it prolly flick the channel, it will at least know what's playing and name it in the buffer & stop at the right time without pressing record again

i have installed the update, but i haven't noticed any difference

5. joolze

joolze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The main fix made with the upgrade is that the Stop button can now (logically) be used to stop a recording - before you had to use the red button which was not vey intuative.

Joolze

6. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed the Green watch button, but assumed that it hadn't been implemented on the HDRW because its easy to delete recordings so you may as well just do that - on a DVD recorder without HD recording something uses a disk and is much trickier to get rid of. Then again, its probably a bug or oversight, just like the whole video-lock thing (which also works for me when I press timer - bizarre bug).

7. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm assuming the green 'watch' button means, if you press it, it changes to that channel (not related to adding/deleting recordings)

it is weird that you can go to guide+ and set/delete recordings, but when you see things that are on right now, you cant simply press OK and watch them

my friend has different HD (epg), and when you browse the epg, if you select a program in the future it marks it for recording, if you select a program that's on now, it asks you whether you want to record or watch it - he doesn't like it, but i think it's pretty intuative

8. joolze

joolze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you go to Guideplus via the Timer/Home route, choosing a program and pressing OK works. It then changes to that channel and the buffer bar changes to reflect the program name. In fact, until you change the channel again, the buffer bar gets automatically updated with each new program, making it far easier to move around it.

I am trying to get into the habit of changing channels this way, as it is a better (in my opinion) way of keeping track of programs watched. It also makes it easier to go back and save a program off the buffer onto the HDD.

Regards

Joolze

9. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you for the information - very useful. I had twigged from Jethro's post about going in via timer that if it fixed the video lock problem it would probably fix the ability to view the program by pressing ok, but I hadn't realised that it would update the buffer too. I can see how useful that would be - just a shame the box can't somehow sense when you change channels on the cable box. I imagine its technically possible but too much work to come up with a standard that every manufacturer could use and too expensive for just one or two to do on their own.

I'm not sure if I have the patience to change channels via the EPG though - I'm too much of a flicker :) though I can imagine myself doing it if I know I'll be on one channel for a while or if I intend to manually record the program as it will do away with the manual recording problem I mentioned above.

I'm actually planning to contact Philips on Monday to ask if these bugs will be fixed in a future firmware update, and if the improbable happens and I actually get to speak to someone who knows what they're talking about I'll post any info I get here.

10. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regard to Guide+ on HDRW720 (both have there own updates) - it's difficult (nay - impossible) to tell where the machine ends & Guide+ begins

11. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another tip that i cant see covered in the manual:

The HD seem to remember where you last watched upto on all recording on the drive - doesn't matter how long since you last watched it, or whatever you watched in between.

Trouble i was finding is that it wasn't consistant - i re-start something i'd partly watched few days earlier & sometimes it started where i'd finished watching, other times it start from the beginning again - anyhow i sussed it today

if you press 'PLAY' it will resume where you finished
    if you press "OK" it will start over

12. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jethro - I didn't know it could do that and I'll be sure to remember it. The fact it remembers that is a nice feature, as is the fact that it remembers where you stopped watching the last 20 DVDs - I'm sure someone will tell me that all new DVD players do this but its the first time I've come across it myself.

13. What Happend

What Happend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I set favorites and give them frequency of Reguarly, it doesn't record or tune in the show. If I click on the show in the gird and use the record button it records fine. Does the favorites do anything??? (besides put the heart in the EPG!)

Has anybody got the favorites feature to work?

For me the ok button in the guide now works with the 2.6 firmware upgrade on philips site. I have noticed that some channel changes from the guide have no sound (have to press channel up/down to get sound back).

Model HDRW720/17 120gig US model. Manf. Sept 2004

I love the features of this unit. The EPG is the only way to record.

Has anyone's unit failed the self test (press and hold units play button while inerting A/C plug)? Mine Fails with error 080107

:lease:

14. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea what the favourites thing is I'm afraid - is it only on the US model?

I thought the 2.6 had no effect on the OK button in the guide, which is why I haven't upgraded.

Also havent had any of the other problems you've experienced - sorry.

One thing that does annoy me now about the epg is that you can set it to record up to 30 mins after the show is supposed to finish but you can't set it to start any time before, so a few times I have lost the first 30 seconds or minute of the program.

15. What Happend

What Happend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since your EPG doesn't have to Fav button when you look at show information maybe the 2.6 firmware update only added the ok button to view the show for the US EPG. I didn't know the EPG where different for US and non US models. I will have to download you user manual and look at your guide screen shots.

16. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there's a buffer in the main settings for adding padding - haven't used it yet, but i think that's what you're after

17. What Happend

What Happend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The US model 720/17 doesn't have the 'Safety Slot' User preferences menu. :mad:

18. What Happend

What Happend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The us model lets you press ok on the TV guide sceduled program and then add time before and after if you wish in minutes. This feature is not in the manual (not even in the updated manual on the philips site).

19. What Happend

What Happend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that the 2004 version of the EPG FAQ at site: http://www.vgi.com/support/ described selecting the channel logo on the listing screen then the blue key toggles lock/unlock of the video window. If you are recording, the video window will stay locked to prevent screwing up your recording. The info box on the EPG will give you a msg that the video will stay locked until recording completes

This works on my HDRW720/17 model. I wonder why it wouldn't remember the state of lock for next time you enter the guide?

20. woffle

woffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is exactly what the UK version needs and doesn't have. The safety slot that Jethro refers to is something else and doesn't refer to timer recordings.