HDR'in the House....

Gizmo 76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Good Evening,

My parent's are off out to canada in a month or so to see family, and wanted to take along some pictures of their recently re-decorated front room and kitchen, so I thought i'd HDR them to see what sort of feel it gave them.

Below are the first lot of results, but I will be re-shooting the front room ones with the lights on dimmer as they're too blown out for my liking.

Clicky for larger versions

All the above were actually made up of about 10 shots each, might of been overkill, but I had the tripod out so thought why not :rolleyes:

Giz

I've read a couple of books on interior photograpy so I'll try and share some of the important things they said.

Firstly - Always keep the camera plane 100% vertical. In all your shots it has been slightly tilted down causing converging verticals which is generally a massive no no. (a 3way spirit level is extremely handy in interior photography)

Secondly is to try and show the rooms using natural light. The idea here is to make them look like they are only lit using natural light but if you're clever you can use light (ie flashguns) bounced of walls/ceilings to add to the light levels of the room. Some lights can be on in scene but they should not make much of a difference to the light levels of the room. Obviously this rule can be broken especially if the property contains 'fancy' lighting.

The main bane on photographers was trying to keep some detail outside the windows but also making the rooms look naturaly lit. Obviously if you use HDR you can get perfectly exposed exteriors and interiors using natural light.

Cheers C.Y. :thumbsup:

Ally - Interesting stuff :smashin:, i'll give some natural light ones a try, main reason I went for the lighting was to add a bit of sparkle. The back of the house doesn't really get the sun all that much, so the light's are generally on alot.

You mentioned the angles of the shots, and I think the only way I could get everything in the shot with no converging verticals is to combine some shots at a non-distortion length, these where done at about 11-12mm I think. I want to get the floor in the shot to quite a degree, due to this being the main part that has actually changed in the kitchen.

I will have another shot at it, and see what I can come up with....

C'mon Giz, admit it, you already have the 'For Sale' sign in the boot of the car don't you mate ? :D:rotfl:

I actually like the lighting you've gone for there, makes the place look very tranquil and warm :thumbsup:

C'mon Giz, admit it, you already have the 'For Sale' sign in the boot of the car don't you mate ? :D:rotfl:

I actually like the lighting you've gone for there, makes the place look very tranquil and warm :thumbsup:

:rotfl:

Cheers Macker :thumbsup:

When they're in Canada it's sold.... :cool:

Only one issue regarding this.....I now know the layout to the downstairs of your house. I could always call in when your away. I need a new TV ;)

Just one of the reasons why I don't post family/friends or pictures that someone could find of any use. :)

Nice pictures and excellent lighting. :smashin:

Only one issue regarding this.....I now know the layout to the downstairs of your house. I could always call in when your away. I need a new TV ;)

Just one of the reasons why I don't post family/friends or pictures that someone could find of any use. :)

Nice pictures and excellent lighting. :smashin:

Cheers PP :thumbsup:

There is alot of houses in my area, happy hunting....

I never usually post family pictures, but only because I know that they wouldn't want me displaying them in forums. I don't really have an issue posting pics of me, other than i'd rather be the otherside of the camera really.

Oh and by the way did I mention the retina scanners and fully monitored security system around our premises :rolleyes::D

Oh and by the way did I mention the retina scanners and fully monitored security system around our premises :rolleyes::D

Is that it ? No issues I have watched a few movies I could give it ago. ;) Thanks for not having any naked relections in those pictures also :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom