HDR1000 - is this a known issue?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dar2005, Feb 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. dar2005

dar2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I'm just wondering if this is a known issue or whether my box might just be on it's way out (it was one of the first batch).

Recently my HDR1000 has been misbehaving. A short while into watching a programme, the screen will flicker and I'll be left with just a snowy picture, although the sound continues fine. This only occurs on my HDR1000,... my other sources are fine. If I power off the HDR and then back on, the picture is back and invariably stays, although last night this occurred 3times within a 15minute period.

For info, my HDR is hdmi'd through a Pioneer Receiver. I have checked the connections but haven't yet tried using different hdmi cables.

Any thoughts?

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Not seen anything like that on mine (also one of the first ones). Make a note of your recording schedule and try a reset to factory defaults.

3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    and if that doesn't fix it, then it will be an elimination process...
    different hdmi cables between Humax and amp, or between amp and TV; and trying the Humax direct to the TV in case the amp's hdmi board is the issue.

4. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    Does your Pioneer receiver have an on screen display, perhaps when changing volume/mute? Does that still work when the snow starts?
    At a guess, snow could be HDCP problems; and if HDCP failed between Humax and amp, your sound should go as well.
    Reseating all the HDMI cables, and unplugging the power to amp and TV for a minute or two may help; HDMI chipsets may be kept powered even in standby (to allow HDMI-CEC to wake devices), so pulling the plug is necessary to force a reset.
    --
    Regards, Iain.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    His TV should show a blue or green screen if HDCP via the amp fails to complete. My HDR1000S is connected via a Denon amp, apart from the double handshake (the picture disappears twice) as the box to amp and amp to TV negotiate. There is a known issue that may be related sometimes you get a black screen. Exit or back pretty well always clears this (never seen the snow issue though). If it's a hdcp issue selecting a different input on the amp and reselecting the HDR1000S usually sorts it out.

6. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    If HDCP is negotiated but subsequently either device loses that key, uncompressed encrypted video data processed with a mismatching key will look like snow. PCM audio should hiss, unless it's DD or DTS or a varient; which should fail to decode and produce silence.
    Anything that triggers a HDCP rekey should clear the picture up; changing inputs on either amp or TV and back will probably suffice, as should changing video formats.
    But something is causing the system as a whole to malfunction; since it's all microprocessor controlled, the reseat all cables and power-reset routine does seem a legit first step.
    --
    Regards, Iain.

7. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    I've had exactly the same with an original Foxsat HDR but very very infrequently. In my case it is HDMI/HDCP handshaking as switching inputs fixes it, I've had it via an Onkyo amp and direct to the TV.

8. dar2005

dar2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Just to update, this issue is now fixed:) I changed the HDMI cable from my wall plate to my Amp (my PVR's are in another room), and now the picture works perfectly, without breaking. I think the old cable had become squeezed or bent when pushing furniture back against the wall.