HDR10+ AV receivers Thread

lebellium

This thread aims at listing all current and coming AV receivers able to pass through HDR10+ signals over HDMI and discuss their respective implementation.

HDR10+ already supported:

HDR10+ support coming later:
  • 2020/2021 Denon AVC-X8500HA
  • Integra DRC-R1.3 ?
  • Integra DRX-R1.3 ?
  • Integra DRX-7.3 ?

What if your AV receiver doesn't pass through HDR10+ signals?
If your HDR10+ source is a device with dual HDMI output (like most 4K UHD blu-ray players), you can connect your source to the "HDR10+ ready" TV through its HDMI 1 output (picture only) and connect your source to the AV receiver through its HDMI 2 output (sound only).

Alternatively you can connect the HDR10+ source directly to the TV and use the ARC/eARC connection.

See also:

Last edited:

lebellium

Hopefully some good news at CES 2019.

As Pioneer and Onkyo announced coming HDR10+ support for 4K blu-ray player Pioneer UDP-LX500/800, I expect them to do the same for their AV receivers!

lebellium

Looks like there hasn't been any AV receiver announcement at CES 2019 except 2 entry-level Onkyo TX-SR393 and TX-SR494 which don't support HDR10+ :/

AVRAG

Looks like there hasn't been any AV receiver announcement at CES 2019 except 2 entry-level Onkyo TX-SR393 and TX-SR494 which don't support HDR10+ :/
Could this be a good thing? With no new receivers on the horizon, is there a possibility we are just looking at the existing ones being updated with the support?

lebellium

Could be.

Technically any AV receiver supporting Dolby Vision should be able to pass HDR10+ through too via a firmware update.

Then it's more about manufacturers policies. Some focus more on long-term customer loyalty and are prone to add new features to existing products through firmware updates, others focus more on short-term profits and release a new model for each new feature, even if they don't need new hardware.

D

Deleted member 39241

Boo, I was hoping for some new Cambridge Audio AVR's. CES still has another couple of days to go, still time?

lebellium

Denon announced new models over the last few weeks:
- AVR-S650H
- AVR-S750H
- AVR-X1600H
- AVR-X2600H
- AVR-X3600H

None of which supports HDR10+...

The 1st post of this thread remains desperately empty :(

simonjenkins

this is the equipment i bought and im ok with hdr10,

LG UBK80 4K Ultra HD HDR Blu-ray Player - Black

Denon AVRX2500H 7.2 Surround AV receiver

The AVR-X2500Hit says its got hdr10

dante01

Distinguished Member
this is the equipment i bought and im ok with hdr10,

LG UBK80 4K Ultra HD HDR Blu-ray Player - Black

Denon AVRX2500H 7.2 Surround AV receiver

The AVR-X2500Hit says its got hdr10

HDR10 is something different to HDR10+. HDR10+ is a newer form of dynamic HDR more comparable to Dolby Vision while HDR10 is basically the standard form of static HDR.

What is HDR10+?

Most if not all current AV receivers support HDR10, but no current AV receiver supports HDR10+ at this point in time.

Last edited:

Desafino

Hey Guys,

Any word yet on hdr10+ passthrough for receivers..?
Looking at getting a receiver...But anxiously biding my time for one that can do this...
o_O

Fillius

The Integra DRX-4.3 is the only receiver with HDR10+ announounced so far that I've seen.

And that's only if this review is correct:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hey Guys,

Any word yet on hdr10+ passthrough for receivers..?
Looking at getting a receiver...But anxiously biding my time for one that can do this...
o_O

Nothing has changed and no manufacturer has either updated their existing receivers, introduced models that support HDR10+ or announced any future support for HDR10+. There probably will be support at some point, but there's no indication of when this will be the case?

I'd base the purcchase of an AV receiver upon its audio capabilities as opposed to buying a potentially less acomplished model purely because it supports HDR10+. Most players that support it include 2 HDMI outputs so you can still convey the video to a compliant display without need to pass it through the AV receiver. Better still, just use eARC and pass the audio through the TV to the AV receiver. There's no real need to have an AV receiver that can handle HDR10+ when there are players with dual HDMI outputs and while there are TVs and AV receivers with eARC.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The models discussed are not available in the UK.

I'm not even sure as to whether or not Onkyo still bother to ship Integra products to the UK or the EU?

Last edited:

gibbsy

I have my Pioneer 4K player connected directly to my Panny OLED waiting for the HDR10+ firmware upgrade.....

Still waiting......

I've even got one disc with HDR10+ on in anticipation....

But I'm still waiting....

Desafino

Thanks for the info guys.
I've returned a number of soundbars...even the Samsung Q80/90R which does HDR10+ pass-through, couple of issues with them that I just didn't want to settle with.
So now I'm on the hunt for a AVR, and was just curious on the whole HDR10+ compatibility/pass-through for receivers.
The Integra DRC model looks to be a bit expensive 😓
But its nice to see a manufacture mention it.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
I’m with @dante01 on this, eARC should mean that in the not too distant future there will be no need to connect devices through an AVR at all. The TV will become the hub.
As a result AVRs will not have to process video and become pure audio devices. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway.

D

Deleted member 39241

I’m with @dante01 on this, eARC should mean that in the not too distant future there will be no need to connect devices through an AVR at all. The TV will become the hub.
As a result AVRs will not have to process video and become pure audio devices. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway.
Yes, I agree that eARC could make things easier, or at least give us more options. But not all display devices (especially projectors) have multiple HDMI inputs for people, like myself, with lots of source devices.

lebellium

The Integra DRX-4.3 is the only receiver with HDR10+ announounced so far that I've seen.

And that's only if this review is correct:
You mean the DRC-R1.3, DRX-R1.3 and DRX-7.3
Also reported here Integra DRC-R1.3, DRX-R1.3, DRX-7.3 - First Look - From Vinyl To Plastic

Strangely not written in the press release: HOME | INTEGRA HOME THEATER

dante01

Distinguished Member

It can sometimes be more convenient to have sources connected to the AVR and use the AVR as a source switch though. eARC does technically remove the need to have a source connected directly to the AVR via HDMI, but doesn't bring with it the convenience and reduction of addional HDMI cabling going to the display. Future AV receivers will still facilitate source switching as well as video handling and I'd still expect future AVR models to support HDR10+ for these reasons rather than video handling being dropped from AVRs in favour of eARC.

Fillius

You mean the DRC-R1.3, DRX-R1.3 and DRX-7.3
Also reported here Integra DRC-R1.3, DRX-R1.3, DRX-7.3 - First Look - From Vinyl To Plastic

Strangely not written in the press release: HOME | INTEGRA HOME THEATER
Yeah it's likely both articles are wrong if it's not mentioned in the press release. They appear to have just paraphrased it (badly).

They specify HDMI 2.1 but the press release only mentions "eARC as implemented in HDMI 2.1" so it's likely it's not 2.1 but 2.0a/b with some 2.1 features added, as with all eARC capable AVRs.

But if HDMI 2.1 does get added to AVR's then presumably HDR10+ would be supported by virtue of it just passing all dynamic metadata. Although I'm not certain if that's going to be the case.

simon194

Yeah it's likely both articles are wrong if it's not mentioned in the press release. They appear to have just paraphrased it (badly).

They specify HDMI 2.1 but the press release only mentions "eARC as implemented in HDMI 2.1" so it's likely it's not 2.1 but 2.0a/b with some 2.1 features added, as with all eARC capable AVRs.

But if HDMI 2.1 does get added to AVR's then presumably HDR10+ would be supported by virtue of it just passing all dynamic metadata. Although I'm not certain if that's going to be the case.
It doesn't necessarily follow that getting HDMI 2.1 will automatically get HDR10+ because it has to be supported in the AVR's firmware.

My Yamaha RX-A3080 has HDMI 2.1 and eARC but doesn't support HDR10+ and Yamaha have no plans, at this time, to support it on any of their top end AVR's.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Trinnov Audio announces Crestron Home driver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces upgrades to 14 and 15 Series amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods