HDR worse than SDR and Dolby Vision

Xexets

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I had my Philips oled 55 754 for 2 years now and I love it. SDR content plays great and Dolby Vision is also amazing. however I never got good settings for HDR. It always looks flat, greyish and dull. This is for any content: Amazon prime video in hdr10, files played from the nvidia shield or Apple TV. Dolby vision stuff is great, SDR also, but HDR is not. I am starting with the standard preset on the tv, tried toning it down towards the ‘natural’ preset and also cranking it up toward the ‘vivid’ - with all enhancement to max. Clearly there is a difference with everything cranked to max, but it still looks dull and artificial compared to SDR and DV. Content in HDR10+ from Amazon prime played from the TV looks equally dull. Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Downgrade your Netflix subscription.
This TV supports Dolby Vision, which the OP has said looks great, so downgrading the Netflix subscription will not achieve anything in this case.

This TV supports Dolby Vision, which the OP has said looks great, so downgrading the Netflix subscription will not achieve anything in this case.
Yup, not sure why I would downgrade the subscription, a part from saving money! ;-)
Two years into this TV and I have settled to watch everything I can in DV, it just looks better!

Yup, not sure why I would downgrade the subscription, a part from saving money! ;-)
Two years into this TV and I have settled to watch everything I can in DV, it just looks better!
He offered the same "advice" in another thread and got a similar reaction. :rotfl:

And my friend also this TV and has had similar issues with getting HDR10 to look good, whilst SDR and Dolby Vision look awesome. I don't think he's really got to the bottom of it and it's frustrating that there's a lack of decent info on picture settings for these sets.

Weird because the AV Forums own review seems to think HDR10 is pretty decent on this set

Yep, I'm aware of the review but can't really see anything obvious in terms of the best pre-set to use or what to adjust in order to make it look anything other than a bit murky and dull. I was reluctant to faff with his TV too much as I would have had no idea how to reverse the settings if it was decided they were unsuitable.

I would try resetting the settings to default. My Panasonic GZ950 OLED has pretty awesome HDR settings out of the box, and with a little tweaking I'm super happy with them.
But my inlaws' LG UHD LED/LCD TV had bizarre HDR settings which took a lot of messing with to give a convincing picture.

It has separate HDR colour profiles to SDR, and the default one wasn't at all convincing and washed out, similar to what you're seeing with yours. Plus, I would try setting the panel at 100% brightness for HDR content.

Interested to see if you find a solution to your problem!

I've had a 65OLED854 for a couple of months, and I recently found the HDR10+ Perfect setting. The Medium or Maximum setting improved the contrast a LOT for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom