Not a sky fan

Established Member
Reaction score
Search gangs of lemur island , press play.

that’s it all working hdr hlg.if you have a v2 ( external power brick) box

Except the inherent flicker and judder is present as it is on all uhd footage on sky q. It’s there on the apps. Netflix and YouTube are not the same on the tv versions of the same app and programme they seem to play cleaner and clearer.

I don’t think the box is capable as feared ( capable of running without judder and flicker)

Except the inherent flicker and judder is present as it is on all uhd footage on sky q. It’s there on the apps. Netflix and YouTube are not the same on the tv versions of the same app and programme they seem to play cleaner and clearer.

I don’t think the box is capable as feared ( capable of running without judder and flicker)

The software update wont be available until between 2am-4am..I would try again in the morning...its only to my understanding that the first generation v1 sky Q boxes arnt compatible with HLG...v3 and v3 boxes should work apparently.

You haven’t tried it have you

I’m watching it now.

V2 box btw

the update will be for the nature channel I’d guess? Hdr by download only anyway.

You haven’t tried it have you

I’m watching it now.

V2 box btw

the update will be for the nature channel I’d guess? Hdr by download only anyway.
It doesnt matter to me as I have the V1 box...glad that you've got it though...as it doesnt officially launch until tomorrow...unusual for Sky to let stuff like this out early...HLG should look really good though...I was blown away with it on selected BBC iplayer content.

I haven't noticed any judder or flicker when playing the Lemur HDR stuff. When I first got Sky UHD just over 2 years ago, lots of movies did show some flickering though. I assume they must have fixed it because I haven't seen such issues for quite a while now.

Just tried it on my Sky Q 1TB box. Its working and looks amazing. Its served to highlight just how piss poor the quality of 4K HDR content on Netflix is.

Malawi: Wildlife Rescue, Pridelands: Wilderness Reborn, and Gangs of Lemur Island.
Googling suggests the above programmes are among the first to release in hdr. And a search on sky finds these programmes and the tv confirms they are in hdr also. First two not quite as convincing so far though. And the flicker is evident on the first episodes of those as well.

does look good though it must be said.

@pjhaahl

Hdr is not present on Netflix atm due to COVID bandwidth restrictions. Or certainly some programmes claim hdr spec bit tv does not confirm as such when playing.

ordinarily Netflix HDR I have found to be stunning, but only by the tv app. Not the sky Netflix app.

I haven't noticed any judder or flicker when playing the Lemur HDR stuff. When I first got Sky UHD just over 2 years ago, lots of movies did show some flickering though. I assume they must have fixed it because I haven't seen such issues for quite a while now.
Might be my particular Q box maybe ....

Last edited:
It doesnt matter to me as I have the V1 box...glad that you've got it though...as it doesnt officially launch until tomorrow...unusual for Sky to let stuff like this out early...HLG should look really good though...I was blown away with it on selected BBC iplayer content.
Yeah the iPlayer trials were incredible. Esp the PEII SCENES and the Little green frog in the rain etc.

These programmes could of been on their servers for ages. It’s just the recent announcements have got people looking I suppose.

It’s interesting that when pressing back up out of an hdr programme, that the whole screen gets brighter the moment the mini tv shows a programme.

@pjhaahl

Hdr is not present on Netflix atm due to COVID bandwidth restrictions. Or certainly some programmes claim hdr spec bit tv does not confirm as such when playing.

ordinarily Netflix HDR I have found to be stunning, but only by the tv app. Not the sky Netflix app.
Hmmm. Re Netflix Money heist is advertised as HDR but isn’t.
Snowpiercer also in hdr, but defo is hdr.
Strange. Don’t know then

Last edited:
Does the info indicate HDR? Mine just shows UHD and when downloaded isn't HDR. My box is a 32B12D.

Does the info indicate HDR? Mine just shows UHD and when downloaded isn't HDR. My box is a 32B12D.

Just to answer my own question, looks like my soundbar won't passthrough HLG. Is this normal?

Just to answer my own question, looks like my soundbar won't passthrough HLG. Is this normal?
Can absolutely be. They don’t all pass through HLG that’s for sure. Maybe there was a a later firmware update for yours? A lot of devices had it added in firmware updates as time went on.

On a side note I hope the new Sky sound bar/box thing does for people who bought one of those.

Can absolutely be. They don’t all pass through HLG that’s for sure. Maybe there was a a later firmware update for yours? A lot of devices had it added in firmware updates as time went on.

On a side note I hope the new Sky sound bar/box thing does for people who bought one of those.

I have a JBL 9.1 which is quite new. I've asked some others to test to rule out my cables etc.

It only shows the hlg logo when your press play,have you pressed play?

So just to be clear there is still no HDR on Netflix app via Sky box? I tried this morning and no HDR via Netflix but I do get it for the Documentary mentioned.

I have v1 2TB Q box - really disappointed to find out this morning that it is not compatible with HDR. Typical Sky - can’t even call to whinge as they are only dealing with vulnerable customers currently.

So just to be clear there is still no HDR on Netflix app via Sky box? I tried this morning and no HDR via Netflix but I do get it for the Documentary mentioned.

Only the new documentaries, apps to be updated later in the year I think they said.

What makes you think you are a deserving customer?

Looks pretty on my oled. Sky should have advertised it a little more. And perhaps some uhd football would have been nice

Yep! Turns out it was my soundbar not passing through HLG. Straight into the TV works fine.
What soundbar so I can avoid it,disappointing news really.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom