Question Hdr TV quick question hopefully

stealth80

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade my current Samsung Ue55js8500 in anticipation of the xbox, I adopted early to UHD and kinda paid the price with the Samsung, its also had 3 new panels under warranty.
I've been looking at the newer TVs with HDMI 2.1 to get full advantage of next gen. I'm currently using a Denon X4200w which I am not intending to upgrade so the xbox will have to connect directly to the TV and rely on game sound through eARC limited to dd 5.1 (from what I've read as the denon isn't eARC.
So onto my issue, I thought I had my mind made up with the LG Cx 55, but then I read about burn in with static images. I play an MMO on xbox and have some long sessions and it has some static hud elements on it that don't really change, I've read some people saying it's not really an issue and not to worry, and others saying stay away if you have static...

OK, so I looked at the Samsung Q90T, and the reviews said its not quite as good as the 90R cause of dimming zones. OK, so I looked at the 90R, and it looks decent, but no eARC.. Which would bite me hard if if upgrade the denon in a few years... Also, no dolby vision on Samsung screens

So right now I'm lost, seems there's an issue with every screen I look into, I want the LG...

I should add, I was about to opt for the q90r, but I think I should be looking at full hdmi 2.1, and that seems to be missing eARC. Which pushes me towards the q90t or q95t, by which point I can get the LG cx.... But burn in

If you use game mode (to reduce lag) the auto-dimming on the Samsungs will (mostly) switch off*, so you don't need to worry about that.

Not sure why you need eARC, perhaps consider if you really need this, really unless you have a very good 7.1 (i believe arc supports DD+ and 7.1) setup or need atmos I doubt you'll notice the difference.

I also wouldn't worry about Dolby vision, again what do you really need this for? Remember that anything with Dolby vision also supports HDR10. On a high end Samsung, which doesn't use much tone mapping anyway, the differences are going to be minor.

Having said all that, if you have fallen in love with the look of an OLED I can't help thinking you are going to always be disappointed with an LCD (especially, as i have said, when you start switching off the local dimming to play a game). As long as you have the brightness levels at a reasonable level (this could well be an issue for HDR games) you should be OK with burn in.

*see this video from about 15:50 on, I am assuming this affects all Samsung TVs, it may not.

Hi sorry I should have explained my audio set up a little more

So I have a 7.1.2 atmos albeit with the upwards firing atmos speakers

I'm using a Denon x4200w receiver coupled with a 7.1 bronze monitor (bronze 5.1 floorstanders with another 2 surrounds) audio set up. I use an Arcam A85 for stereo listening and those power the MA floorstanders via denon pre puts.

As the Denon is not eARC I would need to connect the xbox to the TV and then relay the audio over arc back to the denon. I appreciate that I probably won't get atmos this way at the moment, but if in the future I do decide to swap out the denon, it would be a unwise decision to not opt for eARC now.

I haven't done a side by side of the Q vs the CX, the CX basically has everything I want from the TV at the risk of burn in

I wouldn't be early adopting for HDMI 2.1

It's currently niche, few TVs have it and you're paying a real premium for it

Who knows what manufacturers will do to mess it up, standards aren't finalised for gaming systems so you could just end up buying something that doesn't work the way you want it to, just like you did with your UHD TV.

I wouldn't be early adopting for HDMI 2.1

It's currently niche, few TVs have it and you're paying a real premium for it

Who knows what manufacturers will do to mess it up, standards aren't finalised for gaming systems so you could just end up buying something that doesn't work the way you want it to, just like you did with your UHD TV.

I get your view, I'm looking at the standard and it ties in with the new xbox, which is my area of concern.

Just replied with my advice here: Question - Help regarding next tv choice from RS. Ideally want 120hz

So if you are shopping only from 2020 lines, those are your options.

Q90R is better than all Samsung's 2020 4k TVs, but lacks HDMI 2.1.

I keep reading conflicting things, I read the 90r has vrr, low latency and freesync but doesn't have EARC which maybe coming later via firmware
I'm sort of swaying towards the q90t, I want the LG cx but burn in scares me lol

This is the overall problem with HDMI 2.1: not enough TVs have it and those that do are pricey. I would also be cautious, as it is so new I think it will be hit/miss in terms of it actually working, so wouldn’t want to be a beta tester for it.

Its because manufacturers bolted on some HDMI 2.1 features on HDMI 2.0 ports.

In the case of the Q90R Samsung did something to enable 120hz with freesync, but at a lower chroma level to save bandwidth. I'd take freesync support with a grain of salt on this model. If it does work with the new consoles, it will likely be on a limited 48-60hz. Things never work well with new tech to begin with anyway, let alone if you are trying to use a TV without true HDMI 2.1 ports with a HDMI 2.1 source.

It would be wise to purchase a TV after the consoles, not before. Because then you let others do the 'testing'. If you buy in advance, and things don't work as they should, you are stuck with a non-returnable TV and waiting for the manufacturer to fix stuff. Even with TVs that have HDMI 2.1 and full support will likely having teething issues. You just can't know for sure until the devices are released for testing.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom