HDR settings Samsung NU8000

ValhallaOutcast

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello new to 4K and HDR

Here are my settings which I think look great on everything from TV, PS4 and my Media player (WD Live TV..oldie but a goodie for 1080p)

Movie
Backlight 25
Brightness 3
Contracts 50
Sharpness 20
Colour 25
Digital Clean Auto
Motion Plus Off
Local Dimming Low
Contrast Enhancer Off
HDR+ off

White Balance
2 Point
R-Gain -9
G-Gain 0
B-Gain 4
R offset 4
G offset 4
B offset 4

But when I turn on HDR+ on its like it slides a green filter over the screen, it does this for HDMI inputs and streaming services built into the smarthub

All text on the screen that I know for sure is white with HDR off is green with HDR on

What makes it worse is if it detects the content being streamed has HDR it forces HDR on no matter what picture mode I choose when content is forced into HDR mode

If I swap it from Movie to standard it looks better than Movie but not sure its great unless my eyes are not use to HDR content

Two part question is there a way to ignore HDR being forced ? noticed this in Prime Video was going to watch The Hunters

What should I change about the above settings so HDR does not look green

thanks

Last edited:
I did try turning HDMI UHD colour to on, that didnt help and because it happens even for built in stream apps that are not using any of the HDMI ports

to you other suggestion because the TV detected the content from Prime Video was HDR enabled it automatically adjusted all the sliders including backlight to 50

Here is some pictures to explain better

Movie HDR mode

1586458716975.png

Standard HDR mode

1586458786349.png

Last edited:
just to add I have been playing with the TV some more and I can get non HDR content looking great with HDR+ enable , seems to only be tricky to get real HDR to look good

Tested some more using my PS4 Pro, hard to find a setting on the TV that looks good with HDR on the PS4 but if I turn off the HDR on the PS4 and use the HDR+ mode on the TV everything looks great, games, netflix and even Amazon Prime

Using Game Mode on the PS4 does not help things look green using the PS4's HDR but look amazing if I turn it off and use HDR+ mode on the TV instead

Looks like HDR+ is the best option, still not sure why the built in app for Prime Video looks green on the TV using the HDR+ mode

Last edited:
Blimey that's very green, not seen that distortion before. It almost looks like the colour setting for green are fully wacked up, or it is somehow imposing the green rgb mode on top of the picture. What program is it on prime as I'll take a look at it with mine and report back..

Last edited:
thanks for testing, whats even more strange is reset picture is greyed out when I am using a built in app

what are you picture settings? did you copy the rtings guide?

I have a different tv, but was just trying to establish the pq from prime wasn't causing your issues. I do use rtings settings as a base for mine though. It is normal for the reset to be greyed out in an app. I would try Dots999 suggestion and start again using rtings settings. You might find their backlight setting too dark, depends upon your room..

Last edited:
Hi mate

What is your tint settings ? How did you make the choices with regards to white balance? Did you use a colour meter? Have you fiddled with the Colour management system? The only time I have seen an image that green is when the built in filter is turned on. Personally I would reset the picture to factory for all modes and not try any settings from any sites until you get it working correctly in HDR mode.

HDR+ is not a solution , it's a faux HDR mode used for over saturating the sdr signal to cover the range of the panel it was removed from later sets due to the confusion it caused, if the image is green with default movie HDR settings using the onboard apps then I would be on the blower to get it logged with a fault so it can be repaired when time allows

thanks @chopples I think you are on to something I was just coming back here to do a follow up and seen your post, it does look like the color spacing is part of or the main issue, Native and Auto give that green tint to not only The Hunters but Ozark on Netflix its almost like my TV cant adjsut to the signals colour range?? I am probably using the wrong terms

When I changed the color spacing to custom and played with the sliders I seen drastic improvements even though I have no clue what any of those values mean or do, as a test I slide all the RGB for all 6 colors in the list to max and this was the result

1586616225482.png

thanks @chopples I think you are on to something I was just coming back here to do a follow up and seen your post, it does look like the color spacing is part of or the main issue, Native and Auto give that green tint to not only The Hunters but Ozark on Netflix its almost like my TV cant adjsut to the signals colour range?? I am probably using the wrong terms

When I changed the color spacing to custom and played with the sliders I seen drastic improvements even though I have no clue what any of those values mean or do, as a test I slide all the RGB for all 6 colors in the list to max and this was the result

View attachment 1280639

Have you completely reset the TV picture settings? by that I mean any white balance adjustments(2 point and 21point) these need to be done in addition to the general settings, same with the colour management. It probably better to just do a full factory reset of the TV tbh. Then, assuming it persists, you can contact Samsung and register it as a fault. You should be able to get it repaired providing you have not been playing in the service menu

The more I play with the settings the better its coming, it seems to be my white balance what made me thing this was I notice in some non HDR scenes there was a green hue in car headlights and building lights , I have no clue how to professionally adjust them so was just moving them around I brought greens down to -25 and reds and blues to +25 for both gain and offset and this was teh result pretty happy

1586738413442.png

is adjusting white balance manually a normal thing for 4k and HDR TVs?

Last edited:
Should look close to that with white balance at 0, you have moved the white balance by a huge amount to get that picture which suggests a problem with your TV.
White balance really should only be adjusted if you are calibrating with the correct equipment or have a very experienced eye.
You should reset everything back to factory and follow the rtings settings, I however find the rtings backlight setting too dark so have increased it to my liking but everything else is the same and my white balance is at 0 and the picture is stunning on all sources.

Should look close to that with white balance at 0, you have moved the white balance by a huge amount to get that picture which suggests a problem with your TV.
White balance really should only be adjusted if you are calibrating with the correct equipment or have a very experienced eye.
You should reset everything back to factory and follow the rtings settings, I however find the rtings backlight setting too dark so have increased it to my liking but everything else is the same and my white balance is at 0 and the picture is stunning on all sources.

I was commenting in another thread about users changing white balance, using settings from other calibrated sets. This is exactly why I was warning people against doing it. They are panel specific and realistically the only way to set it correctly is by using patches and software, measuring with a colour meter/Spectro.

There might be some problem with that NU8000, the green gain is off the scale....

For this set the default values are OK (white balance all 0, colour space auto, warm 2) and consistent across panels. The white balance values on the first post make little visual difference, certainly not enough to make the image green.

Have you changed the 'tint (g/r)' setting at all? It should be just below the 'colour' setting in 'expert settings'.

I'd just reset your picture settings and try the rtings settings for the NU8000. Leave the white balance alone.

BL - 11
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 45
Sharpness - 0
Colour - 25
Tint (G/R) - G0 R0

Well this took a strange turn resetting the TV did nothing so as a last resort I went into the Service menu just to look around, I found the white balance section and the values where all different even though I figured this was normal as that how this particular screen was calibrated

So out of curiosity(I know not advised but I am the curious type) I made all the values the same number which was 128 ( everything was 128 but one of the Reds and Blues they were 140 and 175)

After exiting the service menu all settings reset and the picture was great on all 4 modes with default settings

Then I thought maybe changing those values in the service menu was not good so I changed them all back to the original values when I first went in there and the picture still looks great

This TV was an open box from Best Buy so not sure if the so called geek squad was messing in the service menu or why it looks 100% better now even though I technically did not change anything in the menu but end of story I am happy

maybe just going in the service menu did a more hard factory reset

Strange and who would have thought, however a result well done. Going into the service menu usually resets all the pq settings as well...

Great that it worked.

As others mentioned the default values are good and unless you have equipment leave them alone.

To be honest, setting it up as on your first post
White Balance 2 Point
R-Gain -9
G-Gain 0
B-Gain 4
R offset 4
G offset 4
B offset 4
makes almost no visual difference, the change is too small to notice.

So just use the general Rtings settings and you are good.
Make sure you use gamma 1 or 2 and keep backlight low for SDR modes; for HDR backlight to 50.
You can't go wrong ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom