Question HDR Questions

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by TheVoid, Dec 28, 2017.

1. TheVoid

TheVoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi, I just have a new Philips 43PUS6262.

I'v connected the HDMI Arc port to my Sony Soundstage, and then my PS4 and Xbox to the HDMI ports on the back of the Soundstage. This was fine, however I can't enable HDR as it says my TV can't support it. When I plug the PS4 into the HDMI port on the TV, I can enable HDR fine.

The soundstage was supposed to be 4K compatible according to the manual, however I'm guessing it's not HDR compatible?

I also need more HDMI sockets. Should I buy a HDR HDMI switch? Or a standard HDMI switch?

Finally, how can I tell if I'm actually watching/playing something in 4K/HDR?

Thanks

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    That TV doesn't have any larger dynamic range than normal, so the HDR support is primarily for compatibility, don't expect much in the way of picture differences.

I'd buy an HDR switch if they're similar prices just for future use, but with that TV it's not big deal if it's not.

3. TheVoid

TheVoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Surely I'd get a better picture on PS4/Xbox One?

On the Xbox, it says my TV supports 4K UHD, but playing games it says 'Your TV setup does not support HDR10 for gamung. Games will not be shown in HDR'.

I have the Philips 43PUS6262. Any ideas? Thanks

4. RyuOnline

RyuOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    HDR10 Gaming Fix for Philips Xbox One X

Press Setting on remote ->All Settings->General Settings->HDMI Ultra HD->HDMI 2 (2 needs to be used)->Then Select UHD 4:4:4/4:2:2

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Well, you might see slightly darker/brighter output in scenes too brief for the dynamic contrast/global dimming to adjust accordingly on a non-HDR TV (e.g. flashes from full screen explosions) but you'll see none of the contrast or colour improvements that more capable HDR TVs can show. Most of the time it'll look absolutely identical to a normal 4K TV.

HDR is a very ambitious set of new picture standards rather than a single hardware change like 4K. As such, it's not just a yes/no checkbox. The amount of the new colour and brightness range that can be reproduced ranges from from no more than an SDR TV (around 15% of it) to around 40-45% for a current flagship TV.