HDR question

Lex89

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

on my Playstation 5 I always play supported games in HDR but I'd like to know if the image is set up properly. When comparing HDR to SDR I feel that SDR looks a lot more colorful and oversaturated while HDR has less saturated colors and looks more natural but also a little bit "dimmer" than SDR. Is this normal and how it's supposed to be? Below are some pictures I took with SDR on the left and HDR on the right. What do you guys think? My TV is a Sony X900E. Thanks for any help.

1634119366994-png.3184844

1634119702790-png.3184845

Lex89

Novice Member
@Mallett94 There is just one settings profile for Game mode. I can't have two separate settings for SDR and HDR. My settings are as follows:

Brightness Max
Contrast 91
Gamma 0
Black level 47
Black adjust High
Avd. contrast enhancer Low
Auto local dimming High
X-tended Dynamic Range Medium
Colour 53
Hue G2
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Medium
R-Gain -2
G- Gain -2
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 4
G-Bias -4
B-Bias -4
Sharpness 60
Relaity Creation Off
Smooth Gradation Medium

As I can't have two distinct settings for SDR and HDR I have to use them for SDR and HDR.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
@Mallett94 There is just one settings profile for Game mode. I can't have two separate settings for SDR and HDR. My settings are as follows:

Brightness Max
Contrast 91
Gamma 0
Black level 47
Black adjust High
Avd. contrast enhancer Low
Auto local dimming High
X-tended Dynamic Range Medium
Colour 53
Hue G2
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Medium
R-Gain -2
G- Gain -2
B-Gain -6
R-Bias 4
G-Bias -4
B-Bias -4
Sharpness 60
Relaity Creation Off
Smooth Gradation Medium

As I can't have two distinct settings for SDR and HDR I have to use them for SDR and HDR.
You issue lies in that you have set the SDR settings for game mode to be the same as what you should be using for HDR mode.

On your PS5, go to the video output settings and turn HDR OFF.

Now, go to picture settings on the TV, change to Game mode. Now we are going to make changes to your picture settings which will only apply to content that is sent from the PS5 as SDR. Brightness should be way down, somewhere between 3 and 25 depending on your ambient light if you are trying to acheive an approx. 120nits brightness according to industry standards. Gamma should be -2. Black level seems low, on Sony TVs 50 is normally the correct value. Black Adjust should be Off. Adv Contrast Enhancer Off, Local Dimming High, XDR Off or Low for a little bit of extra pop, Live colour personal preference. You sharpness seems a little high but again personal preference. Reality Creation, change it to Manual, increase to Max, change back to Auto. Or if it is greyed out in Game mode then no worries. Smooth gradation should be Low. Also check that in the motion settings motionflow is off (probably greyed out along with game mode).

Now, change your ps5 to HDR mode enabled. Go to your picture settings. You should notice now that the TV is in Game HDR picture mode. The brightness should automatically change to Max and Xtended dynamic range should automatically change to High. The gamma will automatically be 0 which is correct. There is nothing else you need to change.

Ensure that you have correctly done the Adjust HDR sliders on the PS5. It is also worth checking in-game for any extra HDR adjustments which can sometimes be made and optimising those as well.

You will now be able to see the true difference between SDR and HDR images. At the moment, you are simply comparing overbrightned SDR to 'proper' HDR which is why you think that HDR looks dimmer. You have been viewing the SDR content wrong.

I hope this helps.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
@Lex89 also it might be worth asking the internet if the game you're playing actually has a good HDR implementation or not. Some games which 'have HDR' implement it really poorly to the extent where the game actually looks better playing it in SDR. Red Dead Redemption II is a AAA example of that.

Lex89

Novice Member
@Mallett94 Thanks for your feedback. Tried your settings but when I change to HDR the only thing that changes automatically to max is brightness. Gamma and Xtended dynamic range do not change when switching to HDR content.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
@Mallett94 Thanks for your feedback. Tried your settings but when I change to HDR the only thing that changes automatically to max is brightness. Gamma and Xtended dynamic range do not change when switching to HDR content.
That is a shame, are you sure gamma doesn't change or is it just greyed out?

If it simply doesnt change then just leave it at 0 the whole time as that equates to 2.2 which for gaming should be fine.

XDR, you might have to remember to change it each time or just leave it on High and accept that you'll have some extra pop and colour on SDR games than you 'should'.

Hopefully though, the difference in picture now between SDR and HDR is more akin to what you would have expected?

Lex89

Novice Member
@Mallett94 Ok sorry you're right, Gamma, Xtended Dynamic Range and Brightness adjust themselves when switching to HDR as you said. My bad :)

What values should I use for colour and colour temperature (warm, neutral, expert 1, expert 2...) Thanks for helping me out.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom