HDR picture quality on 7300 series ambilight

Hanteera19

Novice Member
Guys since day 1 and i have problems with the hdr supporting games..i mean its impossible to be that way it was intended to be like..tried everything calibrated with the most common settings on youtube videos but still colours washed out and faded..i tried it on nioh 2 and now on ghost of tsushima and the same..the picture is perfect when hdr is off but when i turn it on it goes so bad and it doesnt make sense to pay a lot of money for a 4k tv supporting hdr and having it off..here is my calibration and 2 images the first without hdr and the 2nd with it on..
HDR GAME
colour 80
Contrast 100
Brightness 60
Sharpness 2

Attachments

• 20201118_213820.jpg
    20201118_213820.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 20201118_213852.jpg
    20201118_213852.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 235

Hanteera19

Novice Member
Must just be setting somewhere. What are you using for game play?Does game mode become active in settings when you connect gaming device?Is the hdmi you are connected to on tv for gaming set on enhanced rather than standard?
Everything is done perfectly

kniknax

Standard Member
Everything is done perfectly

HI,

I have had this TV for the last year, and have spent a LOT of time tinkering.

I have Ghost of Tsushima on both PS4 Pro and PS5, and have managed to get the colours much brighter - although note the PS5 HDR settings also need a tweak (I'll add these below)

You need to go to HDR Gaming - then set:
Colour - 71
Contrast 100
Brightness 35
Sharpness 6
Advanced:
Colour Section:
Colour Enhancement - Maximum (this is like enabling an HDR colour boost)
Colour Type: Normal
Contrast Section:
Contrast - Optimised for Picture
Video Contrast - 100 (this is basically backlight but named wrong)
HDR Boost - Auto (this lets the game do the HDR settings)
Light detection - I tend to leave off, but if you change from a dark to light room a lot then set to on)
Gamma - this lets you set the brightness - I tend to have it on -2 (minus is lighter, plus is darker)

Ultra - On

Done.

This should give you a decent picture.

PS5 HDR: The settings are a bit off for Philips for some reason. To make it better go to the Video settings on the PS5, HDR setting
In the first screen, go to the bottom setting so the image is darkest, then click UP (brighter) 15 clicks. This is 1000 nits, then click 1 or 2 more. This should match the philips brightness.
On the second screen copy the first (this sets the max brightness the TV can do)
On the third screen go all the way to darkest. This sets the black point - on Philips 7300 series it will tell the PS5 to use absolute black.

When combined with the above TV settings you should get bright white, dark black and bright colours.

Let me know if it doesnt look right.

(also, if you have AC Valhalla, in the HDR settings go to 1100 cd/2 and enhanced 1.4 - this should give you a pretty nice image for this TV)

HDR in the 7300 series is broken and buggy i have two phillips tv 8505 and 7334 both are buggy only way ive manage to get hdr colour back is this (play a hdr game in your case, Or Movie) while in the game or Movie ),(ie playing it do not quit the game, or stop movie playback)) press the netflix button on remote as soon as netflix comes up press the source button on the remote and select your hdmi source do not exit netflix by the netflix exit just as it mention press source button then hdmi
then wow hdr colours and the hdr pop is there...
i have to do this in both tv its a pita wish i never got the tv's to be honests

kev

kniknax

Standard Member
Here are some photos of my screen with GoT and ACV playing to show you the difference with my settings (note these were taken with my phone, not screen shots)
C27AC4F6-12B1-478B-ACFA-8C619BC85BF7.jpeg
83C01FA9-2C1D-4837-B95D-BDDBCEF44E60.jpeg
3DE573AE-8BDB-4843-9724-D092C44A1F88.jpeg
9C499AF0-2664-4D58-8374-2123CD4E2F3E.jpeg

Last edited:

Hanteera19

Novice Member
HI,

I have had this TV for the last year, and have spent a LOT of time tinkering.

I have Ghost of Tsushima on both PS4 Pro and PS5, and have managed to get the colours much brighter - although note the PS5 HDR settings also need a tweak (I'll add these below)

You need to go to HDR Gaming - then set:
Colour - 71
Contrast 100
Brightness 35
Sharpness 6
Advanced:
Colour Section:
Colour Enhancement - Maximum (this is like enabling an HDR colour boost)
Colour Type: Normal
Contrast Section:
Contrast - Optimised for Picture
Video Contrast - 100 (this is basically backlight but named wrong)
HDR Boost - Auto (this lets the game do the HDR settings)
Light detection - I tend to leave off, but if you change from a dark to light room a lot then set to on)
Gamma - this lets you set the brightness - I tend to have it on -2 (minus is lighter, plus is darker)

Ultra - On

Done.

This should give you a decent picture.

PS5 HDR: The settings are a bit off for Philips for some reason. To make it better go to the Video settings on the PS5, HDR setting
In the first screen, go to the bottom setting so the image is darkest, then click UP (brighter) 15 clicks. This is 1000 nits, then click 1 or 2 more. This should match the philips brightness.
On the second screen copy the first (this sets the max brightness the TV can do)
On the third screen go all the way to darkest. This sets the black point - on Philips 7300 series it will tell the PS5 to use absolute black.

When combined with the above TV settings you should get bright white, dark black and bright colours.

Let me know if it doesnt look right.

(also, if you have AC Valhalla, in the HDR settings go to 1100 cd/2 and enhanced 1.4 - this should give you a pretty nice image for this TV)
Thanks for helping me..i had the ps4 slim not pro and i cant deny ur setting looks pretty good on ghost of tshumia still darker than normal but it is accepted comapred with before..i will make sure to apply your setting with the ps5 when i get one and see if it helps

kniknax

Standard Member
Thanks for helping me..i had the ps4 slim not pro and i cant deny ur setting looks pretty good on ghost of tshumia still darker than normal but it is accepted comapred with before..i will make sure to apply your setting with the ps5 when i get one and see if it helps
If it’s still too dark boost the main brightness up to 45

kniknax

Standard Member
Can u ask u about the sdr setting..i send u message for that

I did reply :)

But the reply was:

Since I posted about the HDR settings here I have done a bunch of reading and playing with settings and now have them set different.

Basically HDR should be more realistic colours, and the screen shouldn’t be so bright - as it leaves room in the brightness for the HDR luminance to show up (ie the sun reflecting off grass should be super bright but the rest should be less bright - if that makes sense).

So for ghost of Tsushima I set the in game brightness to 60 (via the Settings, Visuals menu in the game) and then use these settings:
HDR Game
Colour 60
Contrast 65
Sharpness 5
Brightness 43
Advanced - colour - enhancement max
Temperature normal
Contrast mode optimised
HDR plus automatic
Video contrast 100 (backlight)
Light sensor off
Gamma +1

This really makes it pop but you have to get used to hdr being slightly less bright overall so that the sun and light effects work well.

For SDR I use the Day setting
Colour 65
Contrast 65
Sharpness 6
Brightness 48
Advanced colour enhancement max
Temperature normal (use cool if your picture looks too red/ orange)
Contrast optimised
HDR up scaling on
Dynamic contrast off
Video contrast 100
Light sensor off (turn this on if you want more deep blacks)
Gamma 0

for HDR movies I use slightly different settings
(sky tv has hdr movies now, as does amazon prime)

HDR Movie
Colour 63
Contrast 65
Sharpness 5
Brightness 44
The same advanced as above but with gamma +1
Sharpness ultra on for all the above
Also on all of these set motion to off, noise and mpeg to off

If you watch the Grand Tour on amazon prime - in 4k HDR using the movie mode above it looks incredible in my view.

You can also test it with the YouTube app on the Tv / look for 'hdr 4k' and watch the one with the greensnake that comes up first in the list - should look realistic, not too much colour and really bright and sharp.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom