Question HDR on vs Off (gaming consoles) color drain, realism, clarification and observations?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by markm75, Dec 2, 2018.

1. markm75

markm75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think maybe this observation is just normal and expected despite the way it looks.. but see the pics below for fun..

I've had two different hdr sets to this point, both the samsung q6n and now the x900f (enjoying more)..

I wanted to do a fast compare of hdr on and off.. not too many try to take pictures and visualize this, though i've heard it talked about.. just making sure this makes sense..

Side note/question.... i didnt notice this on my old Vizio M70-c3 2015 set.. but older games like Arkham Knight and even GTA5 seem like there is alot of jaggies around edges of buildings and other objects.. i guess its the up-scaling and for some reason maybe the old vizio did it better, unsure?

Curious other experiences here.. i think the hdr being on and more washed out is more realistic, though many will think its not, i sure didnt at first (less cartoony).

Here are the shots:

ps4 pro spiderman (hdr off)
    [​IMG]

ps4 pro spiderman (hdr on)
    [​IMG]
    xbox one x red dead (hdr off)
    [​IMG]

xbox one x red dead (hdr on)
    20181202_002652 red dead hdr On.jpg

2. Hbo212

Hbo212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have just recently got the Sony 49xf9005 and HDR its looks less vibrant I've tried all the recommended settings etc.. turning it off improves the picture alot and I don't why this is the case. Only game Which looked fairly good was destiny 2. I actually turned HDR off on the PS4 pro settings. Maybe we need to adjust to HDR pic.What made you get the Sony instead of the Samsung q6fn I was thinking getting the Samsung' as can see vertical banding on football matches on TV and during FIFA. I did briefly have last year's Samsung mu7000 which I did like but had faulty sound and JL had no replacement.

3. markm75

markm75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well.. in retrospect, my test here might be flawed slightly.. the colors are the same settings i used for both tests.. so that makes the non hdr one blown out a bit.. i have color around 75 on my set currently (too high? unsure).. live color at medium.. still debating on the black setting of low vs off vs high.. i still think high actually looks better in dark areas but is against the grain of reviews on here.. same deal with the advanced contrast.. i have that on low i think as of now.. but the xtended hdr setting thats on high (forget the name)..

Some of these titles that say hdr arent true hdr apparently.. like red dead for instance..

But less over saturation may indeed be more "lifelike" but its a shock at first, especially comparing one after the other.

I only turned off hdr on the set for this test.. i left the enhanced hdmi setting on for everything..

I wasnt aware you could just turn hdr off in the video settings of the ps4 pro.. might be another curious quick test to try, for fun. (x1x doesnt have this ability i dont think and turning it off in game isnt the same effect as setting the hdmi port from enhanced to standard).

I went to the sony from the 6n because i felt it had better specs overall.. brighter hdr.. slightly better viewing angle.. and biggest was its a fald display vs edge lit, so less blooming.. i'm happy i made the switch.

4. markm75

markm75
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    btw.. its been mentioned far cry 5 had "real hdr".. however this is the one title at least on x1x i couldnt perceive a difference between on and off for hdr.

5. prezzy

prezzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,074
    HDR is not implemented in RDR2.

6. pmac1985

pmac1985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Seems like it’s doing what it’s ment to in both these images.

Stopped blown highlights and crushed blacks and in doing so retaining the detail.

Yes it does seem to have a worse( compared to off) colour gamut. But it looks more realistic to me.

It’s the same with photography everything makes these horrendous hdr images with overly unrealistic colours when the idea is actual to preserve as much detail as possible.