Not a sky fan

Established Member
Reaction score
Haven’t noticed anything in the menus as to which programme is in HDR or not. All we get is uhd in the info. No mention of HDR

does anyone know how we are supposed to find these HDR programmes? Or have I missed something? Word of mouth over the internet seems the only way currently

Its available in the on demand section sky nature...only about 20 hours of programming at the moment...and the first gen sky Q boxes arnt compatible...you also need the uhd experience pack with multi screen.

Its available in the on demand section sky nature...only about 20 hours of programming at the moment...and the first gen sky Q boxes arnt compatible...you also need the uhd experience pack with multi screen.
Yeah, thank you, but it doesn’t differentiate between uhd and hdr. We know the first 3 downloads are HDR because of rumour. There’s no way to tell, unless viewed of course.

In short how will we know when the next hdr download is available. Uhd so boring now you notice 😃

I think the issue is that we simply don't know the answer to that. The HDR launch is very low key and that's clearly on purpose - we have a pandemic going on, so customers requesting upgrades to compatible boxes is not really possible on any meaningful scale at the moment.

I think the issue is that we simply don't know the answer to that. The HDR launch is very low key and that's clearly on purpose - we have a pandemic going on, so customers requesting upgrades to compatible boxes is not really possible on any meaningful scale at the moment.

Defo, and I think the other thing is that it's probably been launched now as a low key launch to avoid people bombarding them with asking when sport will be in HDR too. I feel like they've altered the roadmap they had slightly.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Premier League 'next' season whenever that will be has it slid into the mix also just like when Atmos was supported.

They have said they will be adding an HDR tag to content overtime. Almost seems like they didn't want to immediately because its a soft launch to test it out.

Could we keep this thread for listing content. The other is 100 pages so not good to access info. Some of us have managed to force our TVs to decode the HLG stream from V1 boxes. The lack of tags on sky means we are using trial and error. Would be good to keep running list of content that has changed. Similar to what was out with the migration of iTunes movies to 4K hdr.

kevin

This is the site I am referring to

kevin

kevin
Oh dear, you were doing so well. 😀
That site is heavily influenced by sky. As you might expect. They dont deal in the real world unfortunately. Anyone who does is heavily picked on to promote the sky way of thinking. You will get a heavy stream of people shouting you down on any criticism.

there’s nothing to stop you starting your own thread, I’m I intrigued to know why you haven’t done just that. ..?

I have sky q uhd. Will I be able to get HDR or not ?

Please don't shoot me down in flames about there being little or no HDR content available yet etc etc

So if you have a Q box that is incopmpatible with HDR, how does one go about getting it changed/upgraded to one that does?

Call sky? Or do put a hammer through the existing one :)

Please don't shoot me down in flames about there being little or no HDR content available yet etc etc

So if you have a Q box that is incopmpatible with HDR, how does one go about getting it changed/upgraded to one that does?

Call sky? Or do put a hammer through the existing one :)

As per the other threads, posts on Sky's forum by their staff and tweets from their help account, there's no box replacement programme yet. That'll come in the near future as they increase the content available.

Putting a hammer through it will probably get you another v1 box (their policy is now to replace like for like where possible) and a non return fee!

Here’s a list of which boxes will get hdr

Sky Q 2TB boxes:
32B1xx (yes)
32B205 (yes)
32B206 (yes)
32B0xx (no)

Sky Q 1TB UHD boxes:
32B203 (yes)
32B204 (yes)
32B205 (yes)
32B206 (yes)

Tried some hdr stuff and it shows up as “HlG” on my tv

I downloaded a couple of shows last night on my V2 Sky Q box to watch on my Hisense 55U7A.
The picture quality from my own eyes perspective was pretty spectacular to be honest,i was quite impressed to say the least!!
The Lemur documentary on Sky Nature was that good that SWMBO who never comments about audio & visual products commented that the picture quality and sound was brilliiant!

Yep the HDR stuff is exceptional
My screen goes darker when on hdr hlg mode, is that normal?

Currently have a 2TB Non HDR capable box (32B062)

I also recently just recontracted with sky for 18 months a few days ago, so I am within my 31 day cooling off period.

I just phoned them and asked for a box swap, was offered a 1TB Sky Q HDR box, I asked for a 2TB box but they wouldn’t budge.

Reckon I should phone them back and take it?

Currently have a 2TB Non HDR capable box (32B062)

I also recently just recontracted with sky for 18 months a few days ago, so I am within my 31 day cooling off period.

I just phoned them and asked for a box swap, was offered a 1TB Sky Q HDR box, I asked for a 2TB box but they wouldn’t budge.

Reckon I should phone them back and take it?

Nope. Better to wait until they've got the box swap process in place. That's due before they massively increase the amount of HDR content. Then you're far more likely to get a 2TB HDR box.

Yep the HDR stuff is exceptional
My screen goes darker when on hdr hlg mode, is that normal?
I believe so.... personally for HDR I use Dynamic mode, which I call vivid mode, actually named dynamic mode on my particular tv (this is not to everyone’s taste btw) If I then going back to a non hdr programme, the tv is so bright it actually hurts my eyes to watch it it’s that bright in plane old uhd or whatever. So that would suggest hdr has a different range of brightness. Certainly dark scenes are far more detailed and the “range” of detail is vastly improved. Hence the name , high dynamic “range”, I suppose...?

certainly if I select the sky home page in the middle of an hdr programme the brightness changes as the tv detects the different input or whatever

Nope. Better to wait until they've got the box swap process in place. That's due before they massively increase the amount of HDR content. Then you're far more likely to get a 2TB HDR box.

Sounds like a good plan, I doubt I would be as lucky as to take the 1TB box and then ask for a 2TB one once the rollout starts.

Just checked my HDD and it’s 61% full, and that’s a 2TB, so 1TB wouldn’t be any use.

I don’t even need the HDR box to be honest, I just wanted the best for my money each month.

I downloaded a couple of shows last night on my V2 Sky Q box to watch on my Hisense 55U7A.
The picture quality from my own eyes perspective was pretty spectacular to be honest,i was quite impressed to say the least!!
The Lemur documentary on Sky Nature was that good that SWMBO who never comments about audio & visual products commented that the picture quality and sound was brilliiant!
Oh there’s no doubt it’s better. All things are relative etc. So relatively, it may just be my box, but the apps and the app content is not as good as the tv apps And their content. We Can’t make direct hdr Uhd comparisons because sky hdr programmes are exclusive to sky, so we can’t see a direct comparison on a tv app. Sky apps are not hdr compatible anyway.

To clarify when comparing uhd on different platforms, I have noticed with my set up that watching uhd on sky or a sky app gives flicker and detail issues that are not present on the tv apps of the same content. So if watching say, Oblivion* on the sky Netflix app. I will see flicker in certain scenes, usually panning scenes.
If I watch the same film and the same scene on the tv Netflix app, there are no such issues. It’s quite simple to watch the tv app obviously so no problem there. But it says to me there’s a problem with the sky platform. Wether it’s my box, or the quality the platform itself is capable of I’m not sure. ....certainly a mate of mine has noticed a distinct lack of UHD picture quality on his Sky Q system, where he came from a Freeview set up with uhd content.

personally I think the sky platform is short on picture quality across the board. It’s certainly short on a whole bunch of other stuff, but that another story.

*edit, not sure oblivion is as available as it was but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Sunday at 10:33 AM
helpforum.sky.com

Sky HDR
Since we have more Sky employees here atm, any news on when Sky will be showing HDR programmes?
helpforum.sky.com
helpforum.sky.com

kevin
Oh dear, you were doing so well. 😀
That site is heavily influenced by sky. As you might expect. They dont deal in the real world unfortunately. Anyone who does is heavily picked on to promote the sky way of thinking. You will get a heavy stream of people shouting you down on any criticism.

there’s nothing to stop you starting your own thread, I’m I intrigued to know why you haven’t done just that. ..?
I Actually just followed that link and I hadn’t realised how well that page exhibits the problems with that forum. It’s not a forum actually, it’s sky BS disguised as a forum. But then for anyone who’s had any in depth dealings with sky, that’s no surprise really. I was so happy with sky plus. It was bloody brilliant. They have completely lost their way with sky Q. What a shame.

I wonder can we ask admin to apply relevant info as a sticky at the top of thread? Along the lines of Kevin’s request I guess? Save reading the entire thread....Suppose we need further content first though, so no rush 😂😂😂

Although they’ve moved the menus around by the looks. Can only fined gangs of Lamur island. Or have I missed it? Catch up tv>sky channels>sky nature>gangs of lemur ( dont touch that back up button, takes half an hour to find your way back 😅)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom