Oh there’s no doubt it’s better. All things are relative etc. So relatively, it may just be my box, but the apps and the app content is not as good as the tv apps And their content. We Can’t make direct hdr Uhd comparisons because sky hdr programmes are exclusive to sky, so we can’t see a direct comparison on a tv app. Sky apps are not hdr compatible anyway.

To clarify when comparing uhd on different platforms, I have noticed with my set up that watching uhd on sky or a sky app gives flicker and detail issues that are not present on the tv apps of the same content. So if watching say, Oblivion* on the sky Netflix app. I will see flicker in certain scenes, usually panning scenes.
If I watch the same film and the same scene on the tv Netflix app, there are no such issues. It’s quite simple to watch the tv app obviously so no problem there. But it says to me there’s a problem with the sky platform. Wether it’s my box, or the quality the platform itself is capable of I’m not sure. ....certainly a mate of mine has noticed a distinct lack of UHD picture quality on his Sky Q system, where he came from a Freeview set up with uhd content.

personally I think the sky platform is short on picture quality across the board. It’s certainly short on a whole bunch of other stuff, but that another story.

*edit, not sure oblivion is as available as it was but you get the idea.
Just checked and the screen no longer changes brightness when selecting the sky menu in and hdr programme. It stays dark. Used to jump back to normal. An update or my crap memory?

Just checked and the screen no longer changes brightness when selecting the sky menu in and hdr programme. It stays dark. Used to jump back to normal. An update or my crap memory?
Always been like that for me too. Only changes once you exit the programme

With regards to sky saying no hdr it could be because they’re testing the waters and once there’s more content they may advertise it?

Very possibly. I also think personally, that they don’t want to upset those subscribers that can’t get HDR on the incompatible boxes. Once they have a box swap option or whatever solution in place, maybe then they will advertise it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why is it all the UHD boxes can get hdr but just one of them can’t ?

Sky are allegedly under new ownership. They are more interested in creaming profits than quality of service. I think it’s only the outcry from customers that have pushed them into it. Possibly COVID being a factor in that most isp content is restricted in bandwidth at the moment. Maybe sky see an opportunity among those circumstances.

...cirtainly since skyq has been released it’s been a long list of disappointments over what was promised as a step forward from sky plus. And absolutely no apologies have been made. Hdr has been the only step in the right direction as far as I can recall? And they choose to do it now, while everyone else is restricting content Due to COVID sky are not. Although they are using HDR HLG (HYBRID LOG GAMMER) developed by the or with the BBC Which helps with bandwidth. Or something like that. There is also very little content on sky that’s not available elsewhere due to sport cancellations and COVID etc. I guess the answer is in the middle of that lot somewhere. There can’t be too many new customers at sky currently... surely?

having said all that I’m glad it’s here. I won’t thank them though, it’s years behind expectation. YEARS behind.

Why is it all the UHD boxes can get hdr but just one of them can’t ?
It's a question of timelines..

The first HDR capable video SoC was announced in November 2015 and not available in quantity until Q2/Q3 2016. Sky Q development started in 2014 and was rolled out from the end of Feb 2016 so didn't have an HDR capable SoC.

It wasn't until 2017(?) that the V2 box with the HDR SoC became available.

I thought this was for HDR listings? This has turned into another version of the other hdr thread.

Indeed, but in the absence of any “HDR listings”.....?

Here’s my post previously it may help some of you get a v2 box during lockdown, in fact it’s the only way as sky are not swopping v1 to v2 due to none HDR on the old boxes so don’t even ask so be creative like I was.

HDR content on sky is sparse I only found one thing show up on my Samsung TV displaying HDR and that was Gangs of Lemur Island.

I can have my HDR TV picture settings individual from from regular sky (i Use higher contrast enhanced HIGH to get HDR to pop with nits brightness) and they change automatically which is helpful.

To me Netflix content blows away sky content, the difference is quite large Actually.

Have an old incompatible sky box with HDR? Read my story below...

I had the old v1 sky Q 2TB box and sky are being funny about upgrading especially as they know there is a good chance they cannot be upgraded and I got fobbed off on the phone so clever me called back and told sky I had an issue with the main box disconnecting to mini boxes so got an engineer out lol and made sure they had new boxes when they arrived so clever me got a new SKYQ V2 box that’s HDR compatible as I had that erm issue with my V1 box. lmao 😂

I will always play Netflix on the TV as it has better picture and sound quality I wish you could see how good it looks on my 82” Q70R it puts Sky to Shame it really does. And instant play on Netflix too no waiting.

Honestly I think sky have dropped the ball here with quality content because even now it’s hit and miss if they include an Atmos soundtrack even Dolby Digital + is few and far between but on Netflix almost everything is DD+.

Silly Sky keep using the old DD5.1 and not being funny this is 2020 yet Sky don’t care about quality where Netflix are the leaders.

The only downside in getting my V2 box is that I lost my UHD Atmos version of Blade Runner 2049.

Hope I inspired some of you to upgrade your Sky box free of charge as it’s erm faulty cough cough wink wink lol 😂

There are 3 titles in hdr as mentioned elsewhere, but only Gangs of Lemur Island really shows HDR It’s best light. The other two at relatively dull in comparison. So... having seen them, I would say it’s really not worth worrying about HDR on sky at the moment. You will loose recording swapping boxes for a start, and as for dealing with sky in getting a replacement where none exits, save yourself the agro. It really is NOT good as HDR on other platforms so save yourself the grief as a customer and wait. Just let it go, watch netflix instead and revel in the relative quality there. (Cute as Lima's are, you do get a bit sick of the site of them over the episodes. It’s clearly been hand picked on footage to show off HDR in its best light on sky anyway. )

Until some decent content comes out on sky that is, then go bang their desk. But hopefully they will sort a replacement scheme out by then.

dont sweat it guys, having seen it, it ain’t with the bother. 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom