HDR issue on Philips 50PUS6703 PUS6703

JauntyOne87

Established Member
Reaction score
I get the feeling that I can choose options in the menu, but they fail to activate in some way?! I only get HDR from the native Netflix app but can't get the TV to accept incoming HDR signals (Chromecast Ultra/Sky Q via Denon-AVR-2400H), even after configuring the HDMI 2 & 3 settings (HDMI 1 supports ARC but not HDR) to Optimal in order to allow 4K60Hz4:4:4 and 4K60 10-bit HDR.

Has anyone cracked this yet? I posted about the failures with Sky Q UH021 previously but there have been several firmware updates for my Philips TV since then, so I wonder if I'm alone or if others are experiencing this annoyance. Maybe you have a bigger or smaller version of this Philips TV and suffer the same fate?

I'm guessing the answer is no but if ANY one can help, please do. I'm very close to pulling my hair out

UPDATE: I have the fix/patch for this UH021 issue on Philips 6xx3 series displays. You can contact Philips support. Failing that, DM me

UPDATE: I have the fix/patch for this UH021 issue on Philips 6xx3 series displays. You can contact Philips support. Failing that, DM me
Thank you. This has been driving me nuts.

Have contacted Philips for the fix.

Like I said earlier, I just about have some fibres left from all the hair pulling so I know how you feel!

Philips got in touch and sent me a link to a zip file which, when extracted, is only 24 bytes. I followed the instructions and used a usb stick to install but it doesnt do anything. Is this the same file you got and did you have any issues ?

That'll be the same file; mine is also 24 bytes.

For me, the TV didn't appear to do anything at all (I was expecting a loading bar or some visual acknowledgement) but after 15mins or so, I switched the TV on, connected everything again, went to my Sky Q settings to check and 10-bit is now activated and I can watch HDR content on Sky Q (& Netflix/Disney+) without me having to do anything additionally.

The 'Choose for me' option works too. Have you checked?

How is the hdr performance on this tv these days? I got rid of it for an oled because the picture was just unwatchable with hdr, kept it a year then just had enough.
Is it all fixed now?

I couldn't comment really. Unlike a lot of my other electronic purchases, this one was motivated by budget! I have since spent many hours calibrating so I feel like I have a good quality HDR image but that's just comparing an HDR vid to a non-HDR vid, rather than a top range screen, so I'm ignorant to what I'm missing at the moment!

I couldn't comment really. Unlike a lot of my other electronic purchases, this one was motivated by budget! I have since spent many hours calibrating so I feel like I have a good quality HDR image but that's just comparing an HDR vid to a non-HDR vid, rather than a top range screen, so I'm ignorant to what I'm missing at the moment!
They've probably fixed it then, it was intolerable, dark images were basically made of 4 or 5 colours, no detail whatsoever, there are actually a few threads on here about it.
Great tv other than that though, lovely picture with sdr.

Maybe not actually. No qualms with Netflix and Sky Q but Disney+ blacks basically seem the way you're describing!

Please can you help me with the HDR fix?

I can't find my proof of purchase which Philips request for support.

I have a Philips 65pus6703.

That'll be the same file; mine is also 24 bytes.

For me, the TV didn't appear to do anything at all (I was expecting a loading bar or some visual acknowledgement) but after 15mins or so, I switched the TV on, connected everything again, went to my Sky Q settings to check and 10-bit is now activated and I can watch HDR content on Sky Q (& Netflix/Disney+) without me having to do anything additionally.

The 'Choose for me' option works too. Have you checked?

I can't get that update to work. I have the same EDID file Philips sent me today. The TV goes black and I leave it for 20 minutes or so. Turn the telly off, turn it on. Turn on Sky Q. It's still 8 bit and won't detect 10bit. It's doing my head in at this stage!

I can't get that update to work. I have the same EDID file Philips sent me today. The TV goes black and I leave it for 20 minutes or so. Turn the telly off, turn it on. Turn on Sky Q. It's still 8 bit and won't detect 10bit. It's doing my head in at this stage!

Sorry to hear that Pyongyang. Some people have reported a progress bar flashing on the screen (I didn't see this). I didn't get a confirmation or acknowledgement, I just happened to try the Sky Q settings again and it started working. I hope the Philips support team can resolve it for you. Ultimately, it's their responsibility as it's a well known fault on their side

Just to update on this. I couldn't get the EDID update to work. I got a Vertex 2 recently and fed Sky Q through that.

Works great! HDR and 10bit are working perfectly. Very pleased. Just a shame I'm ditching Sky Q next month now!

Yeah it's solved a lot of different issues in my setup, some of which may be caused by the telly. Cheers again for the help in this thread.

Hi all,

Thank you for all your hard work so far to get this fixed, I followed and contacted Philips through live chat and they provided me with the fix file.

It didn't work initially for me, until I went on to the Input Settings of the TV (under the general settings) and changed the 'Ultra HD' setting for the respective HDMI port in there to 'Off' and then back to 'Optimal', I did this with my Q box switched on not sure if this made a difference or not.

I think this had the effect of resetting the Sky box's memory of the EDID file for this TV, and hence updated it's knowledge with the TV's new 10 bit capability.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom