HDR-HC3 Spare Battery

PMW

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a spare battery for a Sony HC3.

Having a quick look on the forums I notice that some are not compatible, especially the none Sony ones.

Can anyone recommend or let me know what they have.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure all the HC3s have some check for genuine Sony batteries. My HC1 which pre-dates the first HC3 models checks for genuine Sony batteries as well.

What has happened is the generic battery manufacturers had figured out how to fool the camcorders... so when it checks for a genuine battery, the battery appears to the camcorder to be genuine even though it isn't. This is why some generic batteries work and some do not.

To make it more confusing, I believe the later HC3 models added some extra logic to do a more detailed check - so now some batteries which may have worked on earlier HC3 models no longer work. But I assume the generic battery makers are fighting back and enhancing the batteries so they will be accepted by the newer HC3s...

The net result of all of this is if you buy a generic battery it may or may not work on your HC3, even if it works for other HC3 users. Make sure you can return the battery easily if it doesn't work.

Thanks.

Is it a genuine Sony battery?

How long does is last on a single charge?

Hi - No its not a Sony battery - it doesn't have a brand name on it.

Just put it in my camera and it reports 220 mins remaining

It's an extra hassle risking that you may have to send it back, but one worth taking IMO. It's criminal that Sony spend time and money changing their product so that they can rip us off with expensive batteries, and I'll do what I can to get around it.

well, the one I ordered from eBay came yesterday, put it in my brand new HC3 and charged it, said it had 3 hours battery life, stated recording and it lasted just under 3 hours!

well, the one I ordered from eBay came yesterday, put it in my brand new HC3 and charged it, said it had 3 hours battery life, stated recording and it lasted just under 3 hours!
Which seller did you buy it from on e Bay and how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Which seller did you buy it from on e Bay and how much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?
I paid £18.39 including delivery from a seller called lmb_direct - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LMB-Direct

Not sure if I'd recommend them, I paid for next day delivery but it took a week to get here!
no probs apart from that though

it appears as though they don't have any at the moment anyway (although there were 3 more available when I bought mine and the auction timed out)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom