hdr hc3 - problem - help needed

interquad

Standard Member
Hi

I have the Sony HDR-HC3 cam. Without any previous experience of camcorders or editing I managed to connect the cam to my pc using firewire and d/l the footage to Windows Movie Maker. The only way I could get it to work was to use the cam menu and then use the 'burn to DVD' option. Windows then recognised the cam and captured the video. So far, so good.

Problem is now I can't get the edited movie back to the cam (Movie maker says 'problem') and worse, now my cam won't work in 'play' mode either - when setting up the firewire I must have messed some settings on the cam because when I press the playback button the screen on the cam remains blank. I've put a blank tape in and recorded some footage and still no joy - could anyone tell me what I have to do to get the thing to work? I've had no luck with the manual

redsox_mark

Novice Member
Are you trying to capture HDV footage, or did you shoot or downconvert to DV?

I don't believe Movie Maker can capture HDV, or write it back to tape.

I don't use Movie Maker, but if you are choosing a "burn to DVD" option then I believe it will convert to standard def MPEG2 format... and you won't be able to output that back to tape.

You should be able to capture DV in Movie Maker (but not using burn to DVD), others can comment on how. But if you want to capture HDV you need to use different software.

Ulead VideoStudio is one option, one of the easiest as it supports native HDV editing well. Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is a more powerful editor (in my opinion) but a bit more complex to use, as you need to use an intermediate or proxy format (extra step) to edit.

twoodley

Why have you have gone to the bother, and expense, to buy a HD camera, but you are only saving in SD (Windows MM does not support HD)?
I also have this fantastic camera, and save all footage to my PC in HD format. I then edit as required, and burn to DVD. Whilst the DVD is in SD format, I still have the original footage to convert to HD DVD when it arrives. The other option I have is to send the edited HD footage back to the camera to view on my TV until HD DVD arrives.
As regards the playback problem, I can only suggest you use the reset button to restore the camera to factory settings, and modify the menu's again to your preferences.

Hope this helps.
Terry

twoodley

redsox_mark said:
Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is a more powerful editor (in my opinion) but a bit more complex to use, as you need to use an intermediate or proxy format (extra step) to edit.
I use MS Platinum and it is quite happy using the m2t format for editing, although it is faster if you convert to mpeg first.

redsox_mark

Novice Member
Yes you are right that you can edit the native m2t with Vegas MS platinum... but it isn't ideal as it doesn't "smart render", and is sluggish (depends on your PC, but if you have reasonably complex edits even a high spec machine will struggle). The recommended method to edit (per the manual) is to use the Cineform intermediate codec.

interquad

Standard Member
Thanks for you all for your responses. I tried to run before I learned to walk, hence I didn't realise that movie maker couldn't handle HD. I'm now doing some serious manual reading, and will purchase a HD compatible editing package.

Anyway my REALLY BIG problem is that I have messed up my cam settings and can no longer get the LCD on the cam to play back anything I record - could someone please tell me how to restore the original factory settings?

I must say, I'm very impressed with the quality of the images - I use a Sony Bravia 46X2000 TV (1920x1080) for playback and the PQ is breathtaking!!

Top Bottom