HDR Ethernet connection.

jedm

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on how I can test the Ethernet port on the Foxstat HDR.

For some months I've successfully been able to access both the BBC IPlayer and the ITV Player using Homeplug AV adaptors to connect my router to the Humax box.

Today I get a message on the TV that I have no internet connection when trying to channels 901, 902, and 903.

The Power, Powerline Activity, and Ethernet Activity lights are all green on the HomePlug Adaptor next to my Router, and also on the HomePlug which is connected to the Humax box. I've also done a 'simple connect' proceedure with the adaptors.

There is also an orange light showing on the Ethernet connection on the Humax box and in the network settings menu the IP address, Router, Subnet Mask and DNS are all shown as 0 when before they were populated.

I can only assume that there is a fault with my humax box. Would that be a logical conclusion, and if not, how may I test it.

Not sure if it has any relevance but I have had several power failures over the past few days, and since I last successfully accessed the IPlayer.

Any suggestions most welcome!

If I remember correctly normally the led on the HDR Ethernet port should be green. At the Router end, on a gigabyte router, it would be orange (100mbs). I would try a fixed IP on the HDR and see if you can ping it.

Thanks REPASSAC. I remember the ip address that was stored in the Humax setting before. Can I just add this manually and try and ping that, or is there a certain structure I would have to use for the ip address?

Thanks REPASSAC. I remember the ip address that was stored in the Humax setting before. Can I just add this manually and try and ping that, or is there a certain structure I would have to use for the ip address?

Good, use 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask. If the previous address was 192.168.0.10 use that for the IP, use 192.168.0.1 for the router and for the DNS.

ok the subnet mask was 255.255.255.0 before, but DNS was 112.0.104.0, router was 192.168.1.254, and the ip address was 192.168.1.69.

I used you suggested settings for subnet, dns, and router, but was unclear about using my old IP address or the 192.168.0.10.

Pinged with both.

With my old ip - Destination Host Unreachable.
With 192.168.0.10 - Request timed out.

Interestingly the ethernet led on the Humax is now green.....

ok the subnet mask was 255.255.255.0 before, but DNS was 112.0.104.0, router was 192.168.1.254, and the ip address was 192.168.1.69.

I used you suggested settings for subnet, dns, and router, but was unclear about using my old IP address or the 192.168.0.10.

Pinged with both.

With my old ip - Destination Host Unreachable.
With 192.168.0.10 - Request timed out.

Interestingly the ethernet led on the Humax is now green.....

192.168.0.10 was ment only as an example. Your network is 192.168.1.x

OK - Use 192.168.1.254 as the router (.254 was common at one time, now most routers default to 1) use the previous DNS also.

Green is very good.

Last edited:
Just a note about your homeplug AV adapters.
The domestic ring main is not a high speed data circuit.

Homeplugs, powerline adapters, any device designed to send high speed data across a ring main is flawed from the start. If you send data at 1Mbps then 1 data bit is just 1us in duration.

Impulse noise from thermostats, arcing, any mains or line bourne interference will slow your data connection. What might start out at 100Mbps on your LAN may only trickle through at 2 or 3Mpbs at the opposite end of your home plug. They may be a good idea but far from ideal, if you get choppy video on demand then its down to your ring main.

Changed all the setting to those recommended. Green light still on Humax Ethernet LED, but Iplayer message saying your device is not connected :-(

Connect the Humax direct to the router with ethernet cable to see if it's the powerline adapters or not.

One thing I've noticed is that if I use static addressing and set the DNS to my router gateway 192.168.254.254 (in my case) then Iplayer and ITVplayer refuse to work, even though my Humax has full connectivity to the rest of my network.

At the moment I am using DHCP and the DNS display on screen is
248.212.192.0 That is not my DNS or my ISP's DNS server and when I use whois.net it fails to locate that IP.

Something else interesting is that when I ssh into my Foxsat
its shows /etc/resolv.conf as using my routers gateway?

[anc@slave ~]$ ssh -l root 192.168.254.64
[email protected]'s password:
sh: /usr/bin/X11/xauth: not found
Foxsat-HDR~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search gateway.2wire.net
nameserver 192.168.254.254

If you can ping your Foxsat, did you use DHCP or static addressing
when setting up your network connection ?

Just a note about your homeplug AV adapters.
The domestic ring main is not a high speed data circuit.

Homeplugs, powerline adapters, any device designed to send high speed data across a ring main is flawed from the start. If you send data at 1Mbps then 1 data bit is just 1us in duration.

Impulse noise from thermostats, arcing, any mains or line bourne interference will slow your data connection. What might start out at 100Mbps on your LAN may only trickle through at 2 or 3Mpbs at the opposite end of your home plug. They may be a good idea but far from ideal, if you get choppy video on demand then its down to your ring main.

They generally work pretty well if on the same ring main. Problems can happen if the transmitter and receiver are on different rings. The kit has then to work through the distribution board.

Connecting them with extention leads (especially surge diverted ones) is not a good idea either.

When I look in the Home plug utility under remote devices I see this:

TEI 01
Device MAC Address 00:90:47:13:e2:ed
Bridge MAC Address
Transmit 0
Recieve 0

Not sure what this means or if it has any relevance to the problem

They generally work pretty well if on the same ring main. Problems can happen if the transmitter and receiver are on different rings. The kit has then to work through the distribution board.

Connecting them with extension leads (especially surge diverted ones) is not a good idea either.

Thats for sure - I have a surge diverted extension lead - a pricey one - that completely filters out the power line adapter.

When I look in the Home plug utility under remote devices I see this:

TEI 01
Device MAC Address 00:90:47:13:e2:ed
Bridge MAC Address
Transmit 0
Recieve 0

Not sure what this means or if it has any relevance to the problem

I think Transmit and Receive 0 indicate there is a connection problem. Try a cable.

Think it must be a problem with one of the AV adaptors. The adaptor that the Humax box is plugged into has three ethernet ports. Plugging a laptop into a spare port and trying to ping it does not work and neither does the laptop show up in the BT Home Hub devices settings. Plugging the laptop into the router enables pinging and it also shows up in the home hub devices.

Strange as all three LED's on both adaptors are showing green as the documentation says they should.

Any ideas?

One step forward, two steps back.

I've now got the AV adaptor connection showing up in the BT home Hub devices, shows IP address of 192.168.1.69 which is what it was before. I can now successfully ping this address, but still get the not connected message when trying to access the IPlayer.

Am now totally confused!

One step forward, two steps back.

I've now got the AV adaptor connection showing up in the BT home Hub devices, shows IP address of 192.168.1.69 which is what it was before. I can now successfully ping this address, but still get the not connected message when trying to access the IPlayer.

Am now totally confused!

Check the HDR DNS entry is correct.
The BT home Hub should let you display it's settings if not run cmd.exe on your PC and enter: ipconfig /all

Ineterestingly - or perphaps not! - looking at the attached information from the BT Home hub the 192.168.1.254 ip address seems to be outside the specified DHCP range on the page....again not sure this is relevant, but seems strange.

Last edited:
Ineterestingly - or perphaps not! - looking at the attached information from the BT Home hub the 192.168.1.254 ip address seems to be outside the specified DHCP range on the page....again not sure this is relevant, but seems strange.

Thats is not a problem - could you post the first block of information for an ipconfig /all
(The node type and DNS suffix are interesting - I would expect Broadcast and blank)

The DNS setting of 192.168.1.254 just says to pick it up from the router.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom