HDR/Dolby Vision washed out image

dayle1996

Novice Member
I've recent purchased a Philips 43pus7855/12 ambilight tv. After playing with the settings I'm finally happy with the quality of normal HD content.

The issue I have is when viewing movies in HDR or Dolby Vision, the colours appear really washed out and look grey compared to when I watch content in normal HD.

On the tv setting there is an option to test the tv, when doing this it displays a video in Dolby vision and the quality is amazing, the colours are bright and there is no grey filter over the image.

When I view content in HDR or Dolby vision on amazon prime or netflix the image quality is awful. The colours don't look bright and vibrant, it's almost like a layer of tracing paper is over the tv screen.

I have attached images of the comparison between Dolby vision content on prime and the video that plays when testing the tv image in the settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve this?

Attachments

• 20210731_181935.jpg
    20210731_181935.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210731_181929.jpg
    20210731_181929.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210731_183545.jpg
    20210731_183545.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210731_183609.jpg
    20210731_183609.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 147

next010

Distinguished Member
Does it only happen with the internal apps ?

Do you have any HDMI HDR capable sources.

Petey20

I would say its because the TV isn't capable of displaying HDR properly.
Only options are to either use an external source that allows you to disable HDR, or change your netflix subscription to a lower package so it no longer displays in HDR.

Madchemic40

are you using tv built in apps or you have anything connected to the TV?
If so, check cables.
Maybe worth looking through picture processing options...

humax

@ dayle1996.

These seem like the typical hdr color problems (inverted brownish/sepia hues, dead pale skin tones) of a cheap 8+2 bit VA panel. Try to buy a Philips set with an IPS panel next time in order to have a chance to avoid such issues.

Last edited:

Widge

I've got a 43" 6703 - which I believe is IPS - and HDR is basically very faint due to the TV not really having the nits to deal with HDR, so I have picked up on here. It takes it, it attempts to do some processing to give the image a kick (which brings its own issues), but basically it is very dim. Nothing weird like inverted colours and such stuff.

I feel like this is a case of "can handle HDR images" but cannot really give you the experience that you would expect. The worst thing is that it is not optional, you cannot turn it off, I guess unless you swap your HDMI ports around for a non-HDR one.

Next TV for me is going to be an OLED with my outgoing one being the bedroom one. All this considered, for the £300 or so that it cost, cannot complain with what I got.

humax

@ Widge.

Not having the nits to display hdr is one thing (I believe only studio monitor displays have the proper brightness to display hdr as it is meant to be seen and they cost something like 35,000 pounds). Funny/deformed colors when displaying any type of image is not OK. Philips can fix this by using quality VA panels, but these will be more expensive and then people will start complaining about the higher price. Until they do find a satisfactory way to fix their VA panels image, better stick with IPS.

dayle1996

Novice Member
@ dayle1996.

These seem like the typical hdr color problems (inverted brownish/sepia hues, dead pale skin tones) of a cheap 8+2 bit VA panel. Try to buy a Philips set with an IPS panel next time in order to have a chance to avoid such issues.

@ dayle1996.

Thanks, I wish I knew that cheap panels would not be able able display HDR correctly. I'm hoping philips refunds me and I can actually buy a more expensive IPS Panel. I hate that they advertise it as HDR when it's not capable of displaying it correctly 😒

dayle1996

Novice Member
I've got a 43" 6703 - which I believe is IPS - and HDR is basically very faint due to the TV not really having the nits to deal with HDR, so I have picked up on here. It takes it, it attempts to do some processing to give the image a kick (which brings its own issues), but basically it is very dim. Nothing weird like inverted colours and such stuff.

I feel like this is a case of "can handle HDR images" but cannot really give you the experience that you would expect. The worst thing is that it is not optional, you cannot turn it off, I guess unless you swap your HDMI ports around for a non-HDR one.

Next TV for me is going to be an OLED with my outgoing one being the bedroom one. All this considered, for the £300 or so that it cost, cannot complain with what I got.
I wish I read up on HDR more before purchasing the TV. I just saw a tv advertised as HDR and thought great I'll have it for that price! I wouldn't of minded paying more for an OLED panel if I knew more about HDR at the time.

I'm hoping philips just take the TV back and give me a refund. The TV had other issues with lines moving up and down on the screen which they resolved. However, when they returned the tv had scratches on the frame. If they give me my money back I will definitely purchase the OLED option

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom