hdmis switcher

T

thxultra1977

Can someone suggest a good 4 port hdmi switcher that is automatic (as i have too many remotes). Do these degrade picture quailty?

Hello thxultra1977

A well designed and executed HDMI Switch ought not to degrade your Video or Audio signals.

Some Switches may even ensure your Source signals are being sent to your Display at the correct voltage as not all Sources are 'on spec'.

Automatic HDMI Switches rely on the Source device manufacturer properly implementing certain features of the HDMI specification - not all of them do so some kit (SKY HD and Apple TV being two) can cause problems.

Usually its simply a matter of putting SKY HD onto Input 01 of your Automatic Switch to enable things to work as expected.

Octava have a 5x1 HDMI 'Automatic' switch that works well in most systems - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI switch 4port.htm

Joe

Sorry to hijack your thread thxultra1977 but I was after some of Joes wisdom.

I've just bought an 'Aten' switcher which I use to plug my ps3 and dvd to a screenplay 7210 projector. However the projector will not lock to the ps3 signal when selected on the switcher although it has no problems with the dvd. When I plug the ps3 directly into the pj its fine - Hmmm!

Would a better switcher make any difference or is it an inherent ps3 or pj problem?

Sorry to barge in once again.;)

Hello smokefree

Yes, a few - though some are variations on the auto theme.

What features not found on the Octava units are you after?

Joe

Hello smokefree

Yes, a few - though some are variations on the auto theme.

What features not found on the Octava units are you after?

Joe

Another thread hijacker here :hiya:

A couple of questions below, if anyone can share some advice that would be appreciated. :smashin:

I'm looking for a unit that can switch HDMI and digital optical, which isn't going to cost me a fortune, as if I'm looking at spending hundreds I have a feeling I'd be better off putting that £££ toward a new amp rather than a switch box.
The Thor one I've seen (£120) looks like the right tool for my job, but after doing a little reading, it would appear it's not right for everyone - something to do with being limited to HDMI 1.2?

Is there the right switch box for me or am I better off going shopping for a receiver with 3 or 4 HDMI inputs?

The Thor one I've seen (£120) looks like the right tool for my job, but after doing a little reading, it would appear it's not right for everyone - something to do with being limited to HDMI 1.2?

Is there the right switch box for me or am I better off going shopping for a receiver with 3 or 4 HDMI inputs?

My mate has the Thor and it works perfectly well. I wouldn't worry about 1.3 unless ALL your kit is 1.3 ie. source, amp and display, which I doubt it is. Sky HD for example isn't as although new boxes are rumoured, I doubt it will be for a while (bandwidth).

If you have a decent mid range amp, a cheap switch unit might do you for now. If you have a budget amp, maybe an upgrade is in order. However, apart from auto lip synch and the new HD audio formats, I can't help feeling this deep colour nonsense is just a gimmick and is way off full implementation. I'll keep my money in my wallet until 1.3 is standard, by which time we'll be on 1.7 or something..... :rolleyes:

Hello Renton

One advantage of sticking with your current AV Receiver and adding a suitable HDMI Switch is that when you simply want to Watch and Listen on your TV you don't require your AV Receiver powered up (burning up electricity) to select your HDMI equipped source.

Have a look at the Octava HDS4A-UK – it has the HDMI + Optical feature your looking for along with Automatic and or Manual/IR Source selection and is v1.3 compliant; see http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI switch 4port_toslink.htm

Joe

The Thor 4 port switcher is a very good piece of kit, i've been using one for around the last 6 months.

The only issues i've found with it is that the front LCD is very bright (lights up blue, see picture below) and (being a manual unit rather than auto) the range of the remote is not great so you really have to make sure you are pointing directly at it to switch ports.

On the good side I can see no degredation to the picture (the unit is powered and also has a gain control if needed) or sound, and it is very well built being a metal unit rather than plastic like some of the cheaper units. It also has options to display the correct type of item plugged into it such as Sky HD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and PS3

IMG_0208-1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys. :thumbsup:
Looks like I have a short list of 2 :)

I like the look of the Thor best. The brightness of the blue would probably wind me up if it was close to the TV, but it would live in a rack in the corner of the room, so isn't really an issue.
I like the automation and slightly more 'future proof' spec of the Octavia.
Octavia is £140 if I lived in the States. If it was that price here I'm sold as it's only £20 more than Thor. But as it's £200 in UK I'm kind of baulking...

Bearing in mind what's been said about the 1.3, by the time I have 1.3 source and display, the likelyhood is that I'll have a 1.3 amp too, which kind of contradicts what I said about the Octavia's 1.3 capabilities being an advantage.

Shame interest rates are where they are, 18 months ago I had an extra £250 per month to spend on 'toys' like this, so I'd have just paid up...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom