Hdmi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ShortNick, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking to upgrade my DVD Player. Anyone got a handy list of players with HDMI outputs for future proofing(?!). Progressive output would probably be included on such players I presume? TVM :confused:

2. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Pioneer, Arcam and Denon all have HDMI equipped players on the market.

HDMI is not necessarily progressive - it can transmit interlaced signals to. (This is a good thing - it means you can use an external deinterlacer/scaler if you wish.)

James

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Also, if you want future proof then look for players with HDMI Version 1.1 and not 1.0. Version 1.1 allows full bandwidth multichannel audio as well as digital video along the same cable in readyness for AV Amps and receivers that have HDMI switching.

4. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But are there actually any external scalers available that can receive an interlaced hdmi-signal? The ones I have seen were all either SDI or DVI-in, and in the latter case I suppose only progressive signals can be passed? If so, the external processor will only provide the scaling.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    The new Lumagens with the latest firmware will allow 480i and 576i on a DVI input. Hope this helps.

Steve

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Future proofing mught be harder than you think. There are new formats coming out like Blu Ray and HD DVD which will require you to buy a new player. It might be wiser to lay off buying a new DVD player untill these new formats come out. Still they wont be out for a while so I guess its still safe to get another DVD player.

I recomend Denon 2910 and 3910. They have DVi and HDMI.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    Normal DVD and Blue Ray/HD-DVD will co-exist for many, many years. A lot of people won't be able or not be to afford or be bothered with Blue Ray/HD-DVD. I assume new TV's will be needed to cope with the new standards. Not everyone will want to do that.

Even, if I got into Blue Ray or HD-DVD. I wouldn't want to replace my whole collection again. I just get new films on whatever format I have and still play my old DVD's.

I think HDMI is essential on a future player but, as I don't need it now, a player without will do. A player can be bought in two or three years with much more new technology than today and still have HDMI.