1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdmi

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by jbm007, Jun 22, 2004.

1. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any word on the HDMI imput module for the AV192?

Has anyone heard anything. I believe the module was completed , and just needed the silicon chip.

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Don't hold your breath, I don't think the silicon (HDMI 2) is in general circulation yet.....Frankly this digital connectivity lark is begining to :censored: me off with various compatibility issues and questionable quality improvements, digital equals a cheaper way for manufacturers to make product and increase profits, an expensive (well implimented) analogue connection solution still takes a lot of beating (that should get everyone going)..... ;) :devil:

3. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.
    Like I said don't hold your breath, if it ever happens on TAG gear I'll bet that it won't be in the DVD32R, we have asked this several times in the past and it ain't really possible and certianly not economical to do so. Frankly if HDMI 2 isn't carrying SACD I'm simply not that interested and 1080p video over DVI isn't going to be beaten by HDMI in any form apart maybe for long runs which I simply don't need as my PJ is fed by something far better than DVI........3Gbit ethernet is enough for anyone....... :D So I only need short cables (1Mtr).....
    DVD-A is crap, lets hope that as a result of HDMI 2 it brings better recordings and anything like a reasonable choice but I fear that it will just bring more content over quality just like most things digital...... :mad:

That should get everyone going :devil:

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I dont think that IAG will do much if anything with the current range of TMA products. I cant imagine that they will go to the effort of retro fitting HDMI2 to current TMA products (although Im sure TMA would have). When their time period for using the TMA badge expires I think that they will probably implement the technology gained from the TMA products in their own range of Quad or Audiolab badged products.

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If they don't support and upgrade the current range I don't know how they will get new customers… even for new Audiolab or Quad products.
    If they know how to play their cards well I believe they have a little "gold mine" when this crisis period is over.
    On the other side I find strange that they don't say what they want to do in the future, what are their plans.

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, they cant keep the name so why would they want to upgrade current products? TMA was a very unique company. There is no company that even approaches the upgradability that they bestowed upon their products. The AV32R was born in 1999 and five years later its still cutting edge. I bet the Arcam AV8 wont be cutting edge in five years time, it still hasnt even got PL2x nearly a year after the format was announced. Dont get me wrong, I would love IAG to continue to enhance the TMA range but I dont think it will be viable. You have to remember the amount of money that was at TMAs disposal. I think there are very few high end niche companies that can afford to employ the sort and number of people who used to work for TMA. I think to start with IAG will have a lot of work on their hands just getting to grips with the kind of technology used in TMA products, nevermind upgrading them and making them better. Anyway what will be will be and buying a non upgradable TMA product now is no different from buying an Arcam , Krell etc.

8. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cards are built. All that is needed is the silcon and updated software. I find it hard to believe they will not offer the upgrade; they already have the inventory. Repackaging is smart but they paid for product and techoliogy. They don't have to re-invent the wheel. AIG ;is anybody listening? When will we get information regarding the future of our products that we spent 20,000 US Dollars on just 4 months ago.

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,216
    From what I understand of the takeover agreements, it simply might not be feasible to continue on any upgrade path. Also remember that outside of Tag ownership, there will be a healthy group of people that consider the TMA name to be synonimous with expensive failure. They may benefit more from a clean break and a triumphant return of the Audiolab monicker. Lord knows that even after owning the Cambridge name for ten years, I still know people that can only remember exploding CD1/2's from the mid eighties.

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    "The cards are built".......If that were true and I have no reason to doubt you, it could only possibly be fitted in the AV192R in any form of straightforwardness (and I seem to remember the last time I looked that it won't be), apart from the obvious question of why does everbody think they want it? In any AV32R it would only give digital transfer of DVD-A material, yes we all know that also gives access to TMREQ in the DP but for the cost many would just live with the 5.1 bypass as without TMREQ sounds the same as a digital input anyway.......

If it were to be fitted in the DVD32R (just about impossible) it would only give as good as the BNC component output, so again why bother?

If it were fitted in an AV192R with VSM as an input then I can see the point but the DVI ouput is every bit as good (its the same....) as any other HDMI connector apart from the questionable benefits of the digital transfer of DVD-A....input wise my comments on the AV32R DP apply.
    Remember if you have a HDMI connector on your display you just need a cable with the right ends on it, no display will ever need HDMI 2 apart from my previously mentioned very long cable lengths and most might be surprised by the quality the same length component cables give assuming a decent source.....

Sorry guys but I'm not buying into this one unless SACD is on the menu which as we all know by now inspite of my rantings 3 years ago isn't going to happen on TAG kit and looks as if it won't be via HDMI 2 either.

As many of you are aware I'm playing with high end HTPC fed into the AV192R (fully loaded) and out to a high end DLP via DVI and RGBHV, the picture from a 1080i source is just perfect via either connection protocol and feeding it standard DVD's via hard disk isn't too shabby either and frankly the VSM isn't doing much for these types of displays that the PC hasn't done already at resolutions up to 1080, we don't have anything capable of using more than this anyway unless someone wants to lend me a CINE9 :lease: . In fact almost everything we have (and most other people) downscales 1080..........

We have some HDMI capable hi def 50/42" plasma's coming tomorrow and have practically all the current crop of HDMI output DVD players at our disposal, I'll wager they don't get close to the picture we can get out of a quite old NEC 42MP3 plasma connected to the HTPC via DVI, trust me you can get a seriously good picture out of these poxy things which apart from Gordon's demo at CEDIA I thought was pretty rare......When you consider the "all up" cost of these various methods frankly even £3k scalers are going to have a hard time.
    For sure HTPC's ain't as user frendly as normal kit yet but I am putting in some hard work to reach the stage where a non technical member of staff can run one as it is worthy of more investigation and the results are pretty conculsive thus far......

I'm pretty excited for a change and believe me that takes some doing these days and has nothing to do with HDMI which isn't what the marketing guys want to hear i'll bet.....

11. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My only interest in HDMI 2 is to pass hi res audio (DVD-Audio and when available SACD) into my DP and use the DP's DAC's.
    As far as my DVD32R goes I would like if possible to have HDMI 2 to pass DVD-Audio into the DP like I do with PCM right now. I thing with hybrid DVD-A/CD disks coming to the market DVD-A will have big push.

As far as IAG goes right now they are doing a lot of upgrades in fact they were booked with upgrades for a long time. I think if they are smart they will support this market and make the "old" Tag clients stay and possibly buy new IAG products for instance a multi format disk reader (DVD, SACD and DVD-Audio) with HDMI 2 and Tag bus would sell a lot :thumbsup: .

12. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I agree with Graham (again) on DVD-A and HDMI. DVD-A isn't a patch on SACD in my book. I don't know if anyone remebers the (unscientific) test I carried out a few Xmas's ago which to my and some friends ears proved the point.

I'm sure that IAG would't have paid for the technology if they weren't going to make some use out of it and hopefully the TAGtronic bus will live on, perhaps in some sort of transport.

Graham, the NEC plasma you mention, is it worth buying as I may have the chance of getting my hands on a new one at an excellent price? If so are there any caevats?

13. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IAG is going to contimue upgrades. They have to much inventory to move;not too.

I want HDMI because of SCAD and digital audio. HDMI also has a greater bandwith if they eventually sell HD-DVD players with 1080p output. If not at least give 3 DVI input ports.

Somebody call AIG and tell them to start reading the post on this forum; Maybe they will start to learn something about what they bought. Trust me most of the people at AIG don't know this forum exist. Please people don' t start with the flames. I know this to be fact. THEY DON'T KNOW WE EXIST.

It concerns me that the AV area of the market is not what tell will developing. There interest may be secondary at best.

14. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it is now time to IAG to share their views and strategy for the future, regarding the current range of products and possibly some new ones…

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Kenny.
    The only thing I can say about the NEC is that they tend to work for ages, 3 years continious use is common....The MP3 is only 480 lines though adn with a quick and dirty test with a Pioneer straight out of the box, more lines equals better picture from our HTPC.......Off air is a different matter either Sky or Freeview look dreadful regardless of how much scaling you throw at it, I guess I'm spoilt and now hooked on HDTV...........Interestingly the smaller res Plasma panel looks far beter with off air stuff....Draw your own conculsions.....

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Guys.

I wouldn't expect IAG to say what they plan to do on HDMI as the competition would also read the posts and its a cut throat world out there.....
    However I have to be honest and say that replies to me on a couple of subjects by the IAG management are a bit slow in coming, the helpdesk seem fine as usual its just those above them that slightly worry me regarding the future upgrades. David Patching did say they would look at most options as the case presented itself in an inital communication between us but I must agree that the quieter it is the more the sphincter twitches. I've pointed David at this thread and the TMA part in general, lets see if anything at all becomes of it.
    I suppose we are all just used to a more up front approach by Udo and Co but then that is why we all bought the stuff........

17. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

Thanks' for the advice :thumbsup: Now I know why it is so cheap! I'll hang on a bit longer to save more cash as I want higher res, especially with Sky's latest announcement of HDTV

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Kenny.
    As I am normally a good guesser (money on England losing after penalities for instance!), I'd wager that by the time SKY shove HDTV out to the masses you won't be able to buy a plasma.........(Son of LCD maybe though!). I'll print this out and put it in my desk drawer and pull it out in a couple of years time ;)

19. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    graham,
    why do you think they would turn off plasmas. they are just starting to sell well.

20. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Because LCDs are cheaper to make, use less power, have more resolution, etc... :rolleyes:

21. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I think it was also a bit tongue-in-cheek with regards when HDTV will actually be available to the great unwashed

22. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and have crappy picture compared to plasmas
    i am still to see lcd that can show fast movements

i can hardly believe plasmas will go for good soon

23. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 30" Philips I watched the other day looked amazing, soon its bigger brothers will catch-up, and then it will be bye-bye plasmas... :hiya:

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Active research and devlopment is all in LCD and spin off technology and they outsell plasmas massively. You might be surprised who is going to release LCD type screens over the next 6 months or so......Plasma is very shortly going to be a dead duck as LCD's last far far longer and apart from the current picture (which on some screens is getting quite close to plasma) quality, LCD has a lot going for it for both consumer and manufacturer. To bet against this trend would be unwise....

Don't get me wrong, anybody who buys a plasma now gets the best large emissive screen picture but not for much longer......

25. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi all.
    Had a reply from David Patching, nothing sinister in his slow response, he's been busy setting up the proiducion facility for the IAG version of the TAG kit. Before anyone asks I don't know what they will be making.....Although we can all guess if we are that bored! On the subject of HDMI I have the feeling I might be spot on in my earlier post......i.e. its the same as DVI on a video basis and as SACD isn't carried (the more popular of the new formats by far), does anyone actually need it.....DVD-A also has a very questionable life making an upgrade a bit of a risk really......

As it is clear that David and Co are reading these posts, if anyone comes up with an earth shattering reason for having this as an upgrade (and naturally prepared to pay a premium for it), they should say so here, personally I think Steve's way of thinking on the other thread is far more likely, pity he doesn't work for IAG really......

Regarding the old TAG forum posts, all I can say is, I tried guys......

26. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course he reads the posts here, what did you think!

I still feel it is robbery not to put this old forum threads somewhere. It answers everything about TAG kit anyone could ever ask. This way it is stolen from us owners.

If you ask me I would distribute it on CD, as knowledge database (cleaned from useless threads)

27. Neale

Neale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i second that steve really was amazingh whilst working for TAG and who ever gets him will have a great asset

28. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watch out for hot new products from 'Alba' :devil: :rotfl:

29. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I knew the helpdesk guys do but further up the chain wasn't as clear cut but as I said we have a mouth peace so use it wisely.......
    I also put your idea of the CD to David but I'm not very sure he will.......

So people lets have some sensible ideas as to what we would like to see as an upgrade or new kit that is also profitable for IAG (so no green instead of blue light ideas please!).
    I'll start it off:-

1. Plug-in DSD module and IEEE1394 for players and digicamera's for the AV192R (and hopefully a new DVD32R universal player) as per Steve's missive.....
    2. Standalone scaler with upgradable pixelworks (or whatever) engine
    3. DVI switcher in the AV192R
    4. TMREQ for the 5.1 bypass (switchable)
    5. AudioLab badges for existing TAG kit....... ;) :D :D :D
    6. More powerful amps (preferably Douglas Self designs....)
    7. Digital amps maybe......?
    8. Auto configuration of TMREQ (as long as it actually is 95% of what you could get manually over 2 days!)

30. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I know you miss him too......