Hdmi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stormtide, May 1, 2004.

1. stormtide

stormtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone any experience of a HDMI/DVI equipped DVD player reducing/eliminating “Edge Enhancement “ compared with normal RGB or is it completely dependent on the production quality (or lack off) of the DVD?

2. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Give me an example to look at I am not to clued up to the picture side apart from "ooh! that looks good":)

3. stormtide

stormtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The following article gives a number of examples - also it explains "Edge Enhancement" in detail.

http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm

A couple of other recent examples are Phantom Menace Chapter 5 - the Trade Federation Transporter landing on Naboo is one of the worst I ever seen – originally I thought it was just really bad SE!

Another is Pirates of the Caribbean – at the beginning when Depp arrives on his sinking boat – there is considerable edge enhancement between him/boat and sky.

I find them very obvious on both front and back projection, but I believe both of these examples can be clearly seen on screens off 32" upwards.

4. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, been out all day will have a look at Starwars tomorrow and report back........

5. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just had a play. As a disclaimer I have a 2 mega pixel fuji camera and I don't know too much about taking screen shots.

I read your article and I think I know what I am looking for. In both RGB and DVI you can see a halo effect around the space ship. I would say that the DVI feed just looks sharper but see what you think if you can gleen anything from the pictures...

RGB....
    [​IMG]

DVI
    [​IMG]

6. stormtide

stormtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pic's. There seems to be very little difference, this would suggest that "edge enhancement" is more dependent on the original DVD coding, than quality of DVD player or connection. I hope with the increase in large screens the studios will start to reduce Edge Enhancement, but cynically I expect it will be sold as an "advantage" of HD material on HD-DVD/Blu-ray!