• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI with detachable end connectors

souroull

Established Member
Hi guys,

I ran 25mm conduit through the entire house during renovation and now trying to find an HDMI cable that will fit through it. I believe the internal diameter is 21-22mm.

Standard cheapo cables with semi bulky ends do go down the conduit but not through the 90 degree bends (2) , which makes me believe that cables with detachable ends will have no problems at all.

I ran into a couple such cables so far (supra, kordz prs, monster HDS) but they are wildly expensive. Ideally i would like to future proof the 10m run (for high bandwidth 4k) but if i find something cheap enough i don't mind re-doing it in a couple of years.

Anyone got any suggestions in mind apart from HDMI over ethernet? As a worse case scenario i prefer to spend more on an expensive long cable that fits rather than introduce more failure points, complexity and compatibility issues with them extenders.

jammyb2004

Established Member
If anything. Running 2x cat6 cables now future proofs you!

Or cut 6 inches from the end off of an HDMI lead. Thread the other end through your tube.

Strip the 2 cut ends and rejoint them with jelly crimps. Obviously you'll have to protect this joint [I used a box]

You can get and HDMI tester for £15 off eBay.

I did this when one buried in the wall was damaged at a customers house. Re-jointed and tested and works just fine.

Works well for shortening them too.

Lots of videos on youtube if you want to see how it looks!

Very handy!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
2x CAT6 is the way to go.

HDMI cables with detachable heads and chopping and remaking HDMI cables can work but is never idea.

Avoid 90 degree bends in any cable way - you always want a gentle curve, you need to be careful when pulling your CAT6 cable.

Is it too late to alter the conduit?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom