• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI with ARC setup

Ronnie Barker

Novice Member
I have a Panasonic TX-L42 E6B which has three HDMI inputs and one HDMI ARC output. Matched to this I have a Harman Kardon BDS270 Blu ray/receiver which has exactly the same HDMI configuration.

Do I connect my Sky+ HD box and Xbox 360 direct to the TV or should they connect direct to my receiver.
The receiver and TV are connected via both ARC HDMI feeds.

Once I have it connected correctly, do I need to make or change any settings on either the TV and/or receiver?

Many thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The capabilities of the HDMI Inputs on the TV will dictate if there is any disadvantage of connecting the external Sources via the TV.

Some TV's won't support 5.1/7.1 from External sources and ARC is best used just for the TV's internal tuner - check the TV user manual.

All things being equal (if the TV supports 5.1) it should make no difference to the audio you hear via your AVR so the deciding factor will be which option is simpler to operate!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom