HDMI - what pins are used for Sky?

Notty

Novice Member
Does anyone know what pins are needed for Sky Q box to work correctly?

I have a HDMI crimp tool and have made a HDMI cable from 2 CAT6 cables that are already in my wall. There is one wire too few and I read on Wikipedia that pin 14 was optional. I have tested the cable and all are ok (without 14). When I switch the Sky Q box on it displays OK and goes through the connection to another box and connects. When it says press the ‘home’ button when the screen goes blank, the TV knows there’s a HDMI cable present but the screen remains blank. Does anyone know what pins are needed for Sky Q box to work?
Thanks in advance. Alistair

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘I have a HDMI crimp tool’ - that one we have to see :)

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Great news - please share which HDMI ‘crimp tool’ you are using.

Joe

Notty

Novice Member
Sinotek...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 30

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Assuming you are trying to repair a damaged cable you will have to 'pin out' the installed cable as there is no universal colour code used within HDMI cables.

Repairing HDMI cables can be very tricky and not always successful.

Joe

Notty

Novice Member
do you mean remove the pin (assuming it detects there’s a pin even though there is no wire attached to it)?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Maybe explain what you are trying to achieve?

All of the pins in an HDMI cable will be connected at both ends - what you don't have is a diagram which is colour coded so if you have one end of a termained cable which is damaged you first have to work out what is connected to where at the other end of the cable.

Joe

Notty

Novice Member
I am making a meeting hdmi cable using 2 CAT6 cables but there are not enough wires (there’s one too few). I was hoping someone could tell me if they know if there is a pin not utilised by Sky Q so I can leave that one blank.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Way simpler/more reliable to add an HDMI over CAT Extender to the CAT6 cable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom